Author Topic: Have you heard of any trades or movements in the NBA??  (Read 12929 times)

Have you heard of any trades or movements in the NBA??
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:05 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Is it me or has this draft/trade season seems to be extremely quiet? (Or maybe, we've been shielded from draft/trade talk because of the C's championship)
Anyway - all i've heard was:
1) Melo for Billups & Prince, but that got shot down.
2) Barbosa for Martell and Portland 2008 draft pick.

What have you heard?

Re: Have you heard of any trades or movements in the NBA??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:07:27 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Unlike last year where there was rumors out there about KG, Pierce, Kobe, Ray Allen, Gasol, Lewis...

There just are as many big names.  There is Carmelo, but it looks like Denver is squashing that. 

Biggest name that might move looks like Odom right now. 

Big names drive the rumors. 

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:11:23 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Unlike last year where there was rumors out there about KG, Pierce, Kobe, Ray Allen, Gasol, Lewis...

There just are as many big names.  There is Carmelo, but it looks like Denver is squashing that. 

Was the talk that much louder nationally last year, or did it just seem like it, because the C's were involved in seemingly every rumor?

Anyways, I am curious to see what happens this year.  After the finals was made up of two teams who made a big move for a star last year, I would think more teams would be looking to do the same thing...but at the same time, maybe the "sellers" are asking for a lot more after seeing the impact of KG, and the backlash from the Pau trade, where they didnt seem to get equal value.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:26 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Was the talk that much louder nationally last year, or did it just seem like it, because the C's were involved in seemingly every rumor?

Anyways, I am curious to see what happens this year.  After the finals was made up of two teams who made a big move for a star last year, I would think more teams would be looking to do the same thing...but at the same time, maybe the "sellers" are asking for a lot more after seeing the impact of KG, and the backlash from the Pau trade, where they didnt seem to get equal value.

There was a lot more talk with KG and Kobe asking for trades.  Pierce coming close to asking for a trade.  Seattle blowing up to rebuild.

None of that is happening yet this year. 

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Last year we had Oden and Durant coming out. It was thought at the time that those were two franchise type players and this year Rose and Beasley aren't thought of in the same manner.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 12:42:15 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
draft/trades aren't going to happen until draft night or later. It is an unusual draft because need and value don't appear to be aligning all that well. When that happens you can see trades on draft night. i.e Minn may like Love but don't want to use a #3 to get him. If Love is still available at 5-8, Minn might be willing to trade down. I think that is going repeat a LOT this draft.
Also don't look for a lot of early signing of draftpicks. You can have trades at the start of free agency with sign and trades. There are too many teams that are pressured to "win now" that will have to give up draft picks to get things done. Likewise a team with spare vets looking for a backup rookie center may be looking for a trade.
Everyone is just waiting to see who "drops" in this draft. McGee, Jordan, Ajinca,Hibbert etc, etc may all go high or drop a lot because they each have huge flaws that may be correctable.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The teams that may be active - Portland, Phoenix, Toronto, Detroit, Golden State (that big trade exception is about to expire), New Jersey, maybe the Knicks. They're the teams that seem most mentioned in the rumours and have deals in the papers that somewhat make sense.

I'd write off LA. They haven't had enough time to find deals and Kupchak still has a lot of interest in seeing Odom/Gasol/Bynum in the same frontcourt judging from his recent comments. He also said he doesn't expect to make a deal on draft day.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 01:01:09 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Last year we had Oden and Durant coming out. It was thought at the time that those were two franchise type players and this year Rose and Beasley aren't thought of in the same manner.

Which I don't understand.  I think Beasley is every bit as good as Durant, and Rose is right up there with Paul and Williams as the best PGs in the last 10 years.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »

Offline wil

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 88
There's a rumor about Diaw for Tj Ford and the Raptor's 1st round pick.  Saw that one earlier today...

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Which I don't understand.  I think Beasley is every bit as good as Durant, and Rose is right up there with Paul and Williams as the best PGs in the last 10 years.

Hype.  

Should be plenty of moves.  But since the big names are not as likely to move this season, the rumors will not be as many.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:11:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Beasley didn't get far enough in the tourney and wasn't the athletic (height wise chiefly) wonder and likeable kid that Durant was. Durant also got a lot of praise because he'd done something which hand't been done before and bested one of the best freshmen seasons he recent times by NCAA champion Carmelo Anthony. Beasley came too quickly after Durant to get that same fame.

Oden was a 7 foot monster who everybody had been waiting to see for four years. He was an instant Franchise player. No question about it.

The two top guys this season are possible franchise players.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
Two from Rotoworld.com earlier

(1) The Pacers and Raptors have discussed a possible deal that would send Jermaine O'Neal to the Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.
The deal could also include Toronto's first-round pick (No. 17) and the Raps would have to throw in at least one other player to make the deal work financially. There are concerns about O'Neal's knees, but Ford's not the healthiest guy around, either. The Pacers covet a point guard and the Raptors are likely salivating over a potential front line of O'Neal, Chris Bosh and Jamario Moon, with Andrea Bargnani also in the mix.

(2)   There are several trade rumors involving the Miami Heat as Thursday's NBA Draft approaches.
Among the rumors out there are Shawn Marion to the Clippers for Elton Brand, Dwyane Wade to Chicago for the No. 1 pick, Tyrus Thomas and Larry Hughes, and moving Michael Beasley to Seattle for the No. 4 pick and a shot at drafting O.J. Mayo. But we don't suggest you look for the Heat to pass up the chance to draft Beasley on Thursday.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Two from Rotoworld.com earlier

(1) The Pacers and Raptors have discussed a possible deal that would send Jermaine O'Neal to the Raptors for point guard T.J. Ford and center Rasho Nesterovic, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.
The deal could also include Toronto's first-round pick (No. 17) and the Raps would have to throw in at least one other player to make the deal work financially. There are concerns about O'Neal's knees, but Ford's not the healthiest guy around, either. The Pacers covet a point guard and the Raptors are likely salivating over a potential front line of O'Neal, Chris Bosh and Jamario Moon, with Andrea Bargnani also in the mix.

That would be excellent for the Raptors. Jermaine would go a long way to shoring up their defense and his post scoring would be a welcome addition. Those two bigs - Jermaine and Bosh - would be very difficult to defend.

I still think Jermaine is worthy of a trade but his health makes it a big risk.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
I like the idea of Marion for Brand in Miami, then draft Beasely.  Pair them with D Wade.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 01:29:27 PM »

Offline jsilva982

• The Green Kornet
Also, from Real GM:

The Pistons are reportedly keeping an eye on the status of Atlanta swingman Josh Smith, according to The Detroit News.

Smith is a restricted free agent and is reportedly seeking a deal in excess of $11 million.

If the Hawks aren't willing to give Smith that much money, the Pistons are expected to make a play for the athletic forward.