Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 87880 times)

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2008, 04:28:11 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Croatia KIKS ASS...BIGTIME !!!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2008, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"

haha you took your time (and hrvoje).

great performance - but as i said, i still see germany as the favourites for the tournament.

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2008, 04:38:10 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
i considered piotr trochowski, but i'm not so sure he should be starting for germany especially as he plays second fiddle to rafael van der vaart at hsv.

i think he can be a good player, but i think he'd be just as prone to a mistake as jansen. at the beginning of the season jansen operated on the left of midfield for bayern, i'm not totally against giving him an chance to play there for germany.

Well, a lot of our players play second fiddle, Lehmann and Metzelder for example. Jansen, too. The problem started with Schneider´s injury and wasn´t solved by roster moves, so we have to deal with what we have. If Jansen plays just average, I´m all for starting him over Trochowski, but that´s apparently not the case. We could also move Borowski to the left midfield, and keep Fritz on the right side, but that would mean Löw would bring Odonkor during the second half, who is also struggling...

Yeah I remember Ballack playing for Rehhagel. I remember him breaking out as a player once he left Rehhagel and begining to develop into the player he was capable of becoming. Adding that goal threat and patented runs from midfield.  ;)

Rehhagel did a masterful job with that team and he did a very good job bringing Ballack into the game.

You're a Kaiserslautern fan? I liked watching them play when Djorkaeff was there. I don't follow any German team, completely neutral, but I loved watching Djorkaeff.

Uhm, yeah, bad topic. They´ve managed to escape the relegation to the third division this year. *sniff*
Coincidently, the downfall started with Rehhagel´s release and Djorkaeff, who had a huge contract. Kaiserlautern also paid him an obscene signing fee. They did some shady businesses so Djorkaeff wouldn´t have to pay any taxes for that money. They got caught, and had to pay a huge penalty. Went to the second division the same year, and were almost bancrupt. They even had to sell their stadium, which was property of the club...sad story for the fans

Yupp, congrats, it will still hurt tomorrow... :(
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2008, 04:41:43 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
i considered piotr trochowski, but i'm not so sure he should be starting for germany especially as he plays second fiddle to rafael van der vaart at hsv.

i think he can be a good player, but i think he'd be just as prone to a mistake as jansen. at the beginning of the season jansen operated on the left of midfield for bayern, i'm not totally against giving him an chance to play there for germany.

Well, a lot of our players play second fiddle, Lehmann and Metzelder for example. Jansen, too. The problem started with Schneider´s injury and wasn´t solved by roster moves, so we have to deal with what we have. If Jansen plays just average, I´m all for starting him over Trochowski, but that´s apparently not the case. We could also move Borowski to the left midfield, and keep Fritz on the right side, but that would mean Löw would bring Odonkor during the second half, who is also struggling...

true, but in the case of lehmann a goalkeeper's fitness and form can't really come into question and he's always been #1 for germany, as with metzelder. the same can't be said for trochowski.

if fritz remains on the right, then friedrich should start, i just don't want jansen at left full-back it's not good for germany.

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
so happy austria didn't lose. they deserved something and it's not nice to see both hosts get eliminated.

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2008, 04:49:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
They even had to sell their stadium, which was property of the club...sad story for the fans

is it still called the fritz walter stadion?

and i agree, terrible story for the fans - kaiserslautern are a big team in germany and it's terrible to see them fall from grace like this.

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Yeah I remember Ballack playing for Rehhagel. I remember him breaking out as a player once he left Rehhagel and begining to develop into the player he was capable of becoming. Adding that goal threat and patented runs from midfield.  ;)

Rehhagel did a masterful job with that team and he did a very good job bringing Ballack into the game.

You're a Kaiserslautern fan? I liked watching them play when Djorkaeff was there. I don't follow any German team, completely neutral, but I loved watching Djorkaeff.

Uhm, yeah, bad topic. They´ve managed to escape the relegation to the third division this year. *sniff*
Coincidently, the downfall started with Rehhagel´s release and Djorkaeff, who had a huge contract. Kaiserlautern also paid him an obscene signing fee. They did some shady businesses so Djorkaeff wouldn´t have to pay any taxes for that money. They got caught, and had to pay a huge penalty. Went to the second division the same year, and were almost bancrupt. They even had to sell their stadium, which was property of the club...sad story for the fans
That is a sad story. Hopefully times will turn for the better soon.

so happy austria didn't lose. they deserved something and it's not nice to see both hosts get eliminated.

It's going to hurt the atmosphere of the tournament when the hosts get knocked out. The host nation's fans always give a tourney that extra buzz. It's a shame although not unexpected.

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

It's going to hurt the atmosphere of the tournament when the hosts get knocked out. The host nation's fans always give a tourney that extra buzz. It's a shame although not unexpected.

Uhm, what can I say?

Go Germany!

I could really need a Celtics win tonight ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

exactly. hopefully uefa realise this and don't give euro 2016 to hungary/romania who have launched a joint bid. it's already bad enough that in 2012 it will be co-hosted by ukraine and poland.

no offence to those countries, but they have no shot at progressing. then again, in 4-8 years things could change. but i doubt it.

« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2008, 05:28:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
exactly. hopefully uefa realise this and don't give euro 2016 to hungary/romania who have launched a joint bid. it's already bad enough that in 2012 it will be co-hosted by ukraine and poland.

no offence to those countries, but they have no shot at progressing. then again, in 4-8 years things could change. but i doubt it.

I disagree. The quality of the local national team is and should be irrelevant when decide the host of a tournament. I can`t see what Swiss crowd has to offer and it will be missed at the quarter finals .. Especialy compared to fans from almost every other country. The tournament should be held even in Malta !

I fail to see what you liked in Germany. To me is the usual disciplined team but pretty low on talent. Possibly in the semis but mainly because their path is the easiest one. Croatia on the other hand was better but after they score they stay too back. So far it  hasn`t cost them.

I saw for the first time Austria. Very low on talent (the captain failed to impress in the very pour greek league) but great passion and effort. I respect that. Yesterday they should/could have won it and stand a chance to qualify but now they need a win against germany which i can`t see happening.

Great games today. I see italy and france win although i wish they won`t

« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2008, 06:25:21 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
who,

I'll comply with my patriotic duty and I'll abstain from comments on Scolari and why you are wrong to be happy about your club hiring the guy until the end of tournament. Now, if you sign Deco, that it's something you can be happy about.

----------

Croatia was truly impressive yesterday. Srna and that kid Modric (Spurs will have a heck of a player there) are really good. It'd be funny to have a Portugal - Germany in the 1/4 final though. Poland has regressed since the qualifying stage. They seem unable to handle the pressure.

Every Euro should be played in Portugal. Euro2004 was the best international tournament ever.

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2008, 07:03:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Every Euro should be played in Portugal. Euro2004 was the best international tournament ever.

I second that :D :D

I liked England`s in 96 and so far this one is very good competition

« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
I'll comply with my patriotic duty and I'll abstain from comments on Scolari and why you are wrong to be happy about your club hiring the guy until the end of tournament.

that's something i'm interested in hearing too.

I liked England`s in 96 and so far this one is very good competition

portugal 2004 was a great tournament. great atmosphere and the talent on show was great. for me, italia 90, usa 94, korea/japan 2002 and germany 2006 were the best tournaments in recent memory.

« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2008, 11:21:20 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

I second that :D :D

LOL

Well played, sir. Very well played, indeed. :D

Just to clarify: I was obviously talking about the great atmosphere and everything else, apart from the bizarres outcomes of the first and last games of the competition.

« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
anyone else think italy look really weak?

they just don't have a cutting edge. they'll be out in the group phase as i predicted.