Author Topic: Some Sox Talk  (Read 6922 times)

Some Sox Talk
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:04:19 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Don't have much time to catch our breath before the Cavs visit tomorrow, but we do have one night and a Sox game on ESPN that I get to watch here in New York.  Just some thoughts on the first month of the season for everyone to expand on...

- Manny will be huge for us all year long.  He's hitting well, and hitting in the clutch.

- Dice K and Lester could be perhaps the most irritating pitchers to watch in the history of baseball.  The walks and control problems are just so annoying.  That being said they're both very talented and are getting good results.  Lester has been especially solid his last two starts.

- Pedroia and Youk are great guys to have on your baseball team.  Good with the bat, they can hit anywhere in the lineup.  They are both great in the field, very solid right side of the infield.  Youk is as versatile as they come in the infield and in the lineup.  They are both gritty competitors that will give it their all 162 games a year.

- Papelbon is the best closer in the game.

- Are we mad at Ortiz for befriending Horford during that series?  I'm still a little upset at the big fella, especially since he goes to so many Celtics games.  I'm sure once that average gets up there and he keeps driving in runs I'll be okay with him, but until a little upset.

- Our bullpen needs help in the middle.  I actually love Tavarez as a long reliever, Oki and Pap are solid.  Timlin, Delcarmen and company have left a lot to be desired.  I think we'll make some moves to sure that up.

- It was a long trying month for the Sox.  Absurd road trip, the flu bug, injuries to Lowell, Casey, Ortiz and Beckett, a tough schedule.  It has seemed like they've been up and down so far but you look up and they have the best record in the AL.  This 10 game road trip should be interesting to see.  They've been great at Fenway but not so much on the road (sound familiar). 

Just some thoughts while I watch the game and procrastinate from studying for finals. 
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

Re: Some Sox Talk
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Forgot to really mention Lowell.  Good to see him 3-3 tonight.  If he could get the bat hot during this road trip it would give the team a boost they haven't had yet this year.  Good move by Terry putting him back in the 5 hole tonight.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Weird stat line for Dice-K tonight.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Weird stat line for Dice-K tonight.

Hard to believe he's in line for the W if the bullpen can hold on to the lead.  That's the worse pitching I've ever seen from someone who only gave up 1 run in 5 innings.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 10:35:28 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Dice K and Lester could be perhaps the most irritating pitchers to watch in the history of baseball.  The walks and control problems are just so annoying.  That being said they're both very talented and are getting good results.  Lester has been especially solid his last two starts.

Agreed, Dice-K drives me up the wall. I've never been this frustrated with a 'Sox pitcher with a sub 3 ERA in my entire life. I want to strangle the guy.

Since Lester's been working faster his control has improved. He's always been accused of over thinking his pitches in the past, so this new approach seems to make sense for now.

-
Pedroia and Youk are great guys to have on your baseball team.... They are both gritty competitors that will give it their all 162 games a year.

Yeah, which is why Youk seems to fall apart in August. We'll probably see Casey a lot after the all-star break.

- Our bullpen needs help in the middle.  I actually love Tavarez as a long reliever, Oki and Pap are solid.  Timlin, Delcarmen and company have left a lot to be desired.  I think we'll make some moves to sure that up.

I'm hoping Hansen and Masterson will bridge that gap and/or MDC can get his mojo back.

- This 10 game road trip should be interesting to see.... 

Especially since tomorrow Oki and Paps probably won't be available. Gotta hold your breath with AAAAAARdsma 'n Lopez. OTOH, the Tigers pen is pretty bad in it's own right..... and the Celtics will be on...