Author Topic: Patriots 2023 Season  (Read 177969 times)

Re: Patriots 2023 Season
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Sure, I'll take a flyer on Zeke.

I still think the offensive line is the bigger issue. Also Mac Jones isn't that good. ESPN just ranked the Patriots QB position at 28/32 teams. Yikes.

All of my optimistic friends are telling me that Bill O'Brien is going to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Yeah, 28th is ridiculous Pats hate. Mac was right around the 15th best QB in the league as a rookie. Maybe 20th if  you are a little more pessimistic.

Last year he was maybe in the 20-25 range under the worst imaginable circumstances.

But 28th? Uh, no. Nothing in his history suggests that.

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2023, 09:43:02 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I still think the offensive line is the bigger issue. Also Mac Jones isn't that good. ESPN just ranked the Patriots QB position at 28/32 teams. Yikes.

All of my optimistic friends are telling me that Bill O'Brien is going to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Mac was pretty good his rookie season with an actual OC and a functioning offensive line. Didn’t have any weapons, but still managed 22TD’s and 3800yards passing. So now they have a legitimate OC again, but a poor Offenive line and still an overall mediocre group of WR’s. I wonder how many QB’s would thrive in that environment? 3 different OC’s in the 3 years..It’s a shame that poor management is holding Mac Jones back.

Yes, the deck is stacked against him. That being said, I think this is his sink or swim year. He has to show progress. I think he can still keep his job even if they don't make the playoffs (a longshot with this tough schedule).

I'm really curious to see if O'brien brings the kitchen sink in the opener vs. Philly, or if they wait until Miami to pull out the gadgetry. While I'm down on the offensive personnel, I do think O'brien is smart and can be an advantage.

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2023, 10:39:24 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437

Mac was pretty good his rookie season with an actual OC and a functioning offensive line. Didn’t have any weapons, but still managed 22TD’s and 3800yards passing. So now they have a legitimate OC again, but a poor Offenive line and still an overall mediocre group of WR’s. I wonder how many QB’s would thrive in that environment? 3 different OC’s in the 3 years..It’s a shame that poor management is holding Mac Jones back.

Yes, the deck is stacked against him. That being said, I think this is his sink or swim year. He has to show progress. I think he can still keep his job even if they don't make the playoffs (a longshot with this tough schedule).

I'm really curious to see if O'brien brings the kitchen sink in the opener vs. Philly, or if they wait until Miami to pull out the gadgetry. While I'm down on the offensive personnel, I do think O'brien is smart and can be an advantage.

So the deck is stacked against him this year(yet again), but it’s a sink or swim season? If the O-line is as bad as they’ve looked, I’m not sure any QB could succeed, even with O’Brien.

As far as I’m concerned Mac already proved himself his rookie year. Give him a stable environment, with a decent OC, an O-line that gives him more than 2 seconds to throw the ball to even an average receiving corps and he can win games.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2023, 10:50:55 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think that's harsh from ESPN. I think Mac is middle of the road as a QB, anywhere in the 10-20 range. Zappe is a decent backup.

I don't think it's so much pulling "a rabbit out of a hat", but more just bringing in genuine coaching on offence. Jones is a good distributor, just not an athlete. I have him around 15-18 in QB rankings personally.
I think if you actually started to list QB's for this year, you'd find Mac is in the 20's.  28 seems a bit low, but there is an argument Mac is the worst QB in the AFC depending on what you think of the AFC South rookies (i.e. Stroud and Richardson).  Even if you think he is better than those 2, the only other QB you could easily argue he is better than is Pickett.  There are more bad QB's in the NFC, so I think he is in the 25 range.
I think the decline we're seeing in guys like Stafford, Carr, Wilson & Tannehill is pretty legit, and will continue.

1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Herbert
5. Rodgers
6. Hurts
7. Lawrence
8. Jackson
9. Cousins
10. Prescott
11. Geno Smith
12. Watson (huge ? here)
13. Goff
14. Daniel Jones
15. Tua
16. Fields
17. Mac Jones

I could see an argument for Stafford and Carr maybe, but not for Wilson nor Tannehill.
Wilson now has Payton and the Titans just added Hopkins.  They should both be better than Mac, this year.  Stafford, Carr, Jimmy G are better as well, again for this year.  Murray is hurt, but expected to play this year and is better.  You have the 3 top rookies, good chance one has a really good rookie year, but I'm fine with calling Mac over them.  I honestly have no idea if Mac is better than Baker Mayfield at this point and I know the Steelers really love Pickett and the Packers seemingly like Love a lot, so who knows with them.  Purdy had a pretty awesome end to last year, but who knows if it is sustainable, especially with the injury.

Do I think 28th is harsh, yes, but I also don't think it is totally out of question either.  And yes circumstances weren't great last year, but Mac was bad and certainly didn't make the situation better.  He pouted as he was regressing. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2023, 10:52:16 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I think that's harsh from ESPN. I think Mac is middle of the road as a QB, anywhere in the 10-20 range. Zappe is a decent backup.

I don't think it's so much pulling "a rabbit out of a hat", but more just bringing in genuine coaching on offence. Jones is a good distributor, just not an athlete. I have him around 15-18 in QB rankings personally.
I think if you actually started to list QB's for this year, you'd find Mac is in the 20's.  28 seems a bit low, but there is an argument Mac is the worst QB in the AFC depending on what you think of the AFC South rookies (i.e. Stroud and Richardson).  Even if you think he is better than those 2, the only other QB you could easily argue he is better than is Pickett.  There are more bad QB's in the NFC, so I think he is in the 25 range.
I think the decline we're seeing in guys like Stafford, Carr, Wilson & Tannehill is pretty legit, and will continue.

1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Herbert
5. Rodgers
6. Hurts
7. Lawrence
8. Jackson
9. Cousins
10. Prescott
11. Geno Smith
12. Watson (huge ? here)
13. Goff
14. Daniel Jones
15. Tua
16. Fields
17. Mac Jones

I could see an argument for Stafford and Carr maybe, but not for Wilson nor Tannehill.
Wilson now has Payton and the Titans just added Hopkins.  They should both be better than Mac, this year.  Stafford, Carr, Jimmy G are better as well, again for this year.  Murray is hurt, but expected to play this year and is better.  You have the 3 top rookies, good chance one has a really good rookie year, but I'm fine with calling Mac over them.  I honestly have no idea if Mac is better than Baker Mayfield at this point and I know the Steelers really love Pickett and the Packers seemingly like Love a lot, so who knows with them.  Purdy had a pretty awesome end to last year, but who knows if it is sustainable, especially with the injury.

Do I think 28th is harsh, yes, but I also don't think it is totally out of question either.  And yes circumstances weren't great last year, but Mac was bad and certainly didn't make the situation better.  He pouted as he was regressing.
You're giving all the benefit of the doubt to those others whilst giving none to Mac
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2023, 10:54:06 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Herbert
5. Rodgers
6. Hurts
7. Lawrence
8. Jackson
9. Cousins
10. Prescott
11. Geno Smith
12. Watson (huge ? here)
13. Goff
14. Daniel Jones
15. Tua
16. Fields
17. Mac Jones

You're giving all the benefit of the doubt to those others whilst giving none to Mac

No shame either after the 6 win max debacle for him last year either

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2023, 11:40:32 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

1. Mahomes
2. Burrow
3. Allen
4. Herbert
5. Rodgers
6. Hurts
7. Lawrence
8. Jackson
9. Cousins
10. Prescott
11. Geno Smith
12. Watson (huge ? here)
13. Goff
14. Daniel Jones
15. Tua
16. Fields
17. Mac Jones

You are free to think Mac is better than Murray, Wilson, Tannehill, Stafford, Carr, and Jimmy G, I do not and I think I'm probably in the bigger contingency on that one.  those 6 guys, pushes Mac into the 20's on your list.  Everyone else who knows, could Mac be better than them, sure, could he be worse sure.  As I said, 28 is harsh, I think he isn't that low, but I don't think it is crazy either.  There is a reason a guy with Mac's resume fell to mid-1st round.  Mac doesn't have a great arm and can't stretch the field.  He has had a poor attitude and generally has acted like a front runner.  He is accurate and doesn't make a ton of mistakes to the positive, but both of those things were worse in year 2, which is not a good sign.  Generally QB's do not get worse and then rebound and come back better in year 3 than they were in year 1.  Mac could buck that or it might actually just be a sign of things to come.  And I think the Patriots receiving core is worse this year.  They basically swapped JuJu in for Meyers and Agolohor. I'd rather have Meyers, though Gesicki for Smith looks like an upgrade at TE (at least production wise).  The OL is still bad though I do like the Zeke signing today.  He solidifies a pretty solid backfield even with losing Harris.  O'Brien is obviously an improvement over the jumbled mess that was last year, but the Pats offensive talent is still among the worst in the league.  There is only so much O'Brien is going to be able to do.  They are going to have to run the ball a lot, which is why I think Zeke will do well there as I think he can still be effective in a run heavy attack.

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2023, 01:48:16 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
And the Pats apparently just signed a past his prime Zeke.

Awesome. How is he at blocking?  :blank:

Supposedly pretty good.

Can he throw?

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2023, 05:45:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
And the Pats apparently just signed a past his prime Zeke.

I guess with running backs anyone over the age of 25 is past his prime. Meanwhile quarterbacks are still playing 20 years after that  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2023, 10:24:21 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1437
Not bad for a noodle arm…

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/p7ejmIHab8o
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2023, 07:18:54 AM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 487
I genuinely think the Patriots had a great first 3 rounds of the draft in terms of talent this year. Mapu is being called a steal by any pundit that talks about him. Gonzalez looks exactly like advertised. White was disruptive in his first pre season game, and is versatile enough that he is taking Punt team reps in practice as a 6'5 290 pound athlete.

Maybe the picks weren't on the right positions, but I think we have upgraded the talent on defense in a real way long term.

Our offensive line keeps me up at night. I am confident about Onwenu and David Andrews, yet even those players make me nervous because Onwenu hasn't taken a snap all year, and Andrews is getting old.
#JKJB

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2023, 08:35:56 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I genuinely think the Patriots had a great first 3 rounds of the draft in terms of talent this year. Mapu is being called a steal by any pundit that talks about him. Gonzalez looks exactly like advertised. White was disruptive in his first pre season game, and is versatile enough that he is taking Punt team reps in practice as a 6'5 290 pound athlete.

Maybe the picks weren't on the right positions, but I think we have upgraded the talent on defense in a real way long term.

Our offensive line keeps me up at night. I am confident about Onwenu and David Andrews, yet even those players make me nervous because Onwenu hasn't taken a snap all year, and Andrews is getting old.

I agree with this.  It is hard to know but there has not been a lot to increase confidence in the O-Line.  I am hoping better coaching/scheme will help.  It doesn't matter who the backs and receivers are if the line isn't holding up.  Also, that is what I have seen as Mac's biggest weakness.  He does not make the minor pocket adjustments that you need to make when there is pressure.  Brady was actually great at this so it isn't about how fast you are.  You just need to move a step this way or that way to get a little more time.  Even a half second can make a big difference.

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm excited about this defense. I think it'll keep them in a lot of games.  Still concerned about the offense.  AFC is loaded.  Both division & interconference.  Offensive line is real concerning.  I just see it being tough going score to score with a lot of these teams. If the offense is struggling, the defense is out on the field more and I don't care how good they are, they'll break down.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2023, 11:00:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I'm excited about this defense. I think it'll keep them in a lot of games.  Still concerned about the offense.  AFC is loaded.  Both division & interconference.  Offensive line is real concerning.  I just see it being tough going score to score with a lot of these teams. If the offense is struggling, the defense is out on the field more and I don't care how good they are, they'll break down.
The defense is going to have to be all time great good to keep them in games. Better than last year and we all saw how last year ended when they played the better offenses, winning just the 2 games out of 7 when they didn't face the starting QB. 

While the Jets are better this year, the Pats do have an easier schedule overall this year and play some mediocre to bad offenses throughout the year.  So the defense may be good enough to get them some wins after what I anticipate to be a rough start (Philly, Miami, @Jets, @ Dallas).  After those 4 they play 2 poor offenses then te Bills and Fins, and then have a stretch of 5 very winnable games before closing with KC, @Den, @ Buf, Jets.

I don't think the offense is good enough though for this to be a playoff team and frankly even matching last years win total will be hard even though they should be a better team than last year. 

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2023, 11:19:54 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
The defense is going to have to be all time great good to keep them in games. Better than last year and we all saw how last year ended when they played the better offenses, winning just the 2 games out of 7 when they didn't face the starting QB. 

While the Jets are better this year, the Pats do have an easier schedule overall this year and play some mediocre to bad offenses throughout the year.  So the defense may be good enough to get them some wins after what I anticipate to be a rough start (Philly, Miami, @Jets, @ Dallas).  After those 4 they play 2 poor offenses then te Bills and Fins, and then have a stretch of 5 very winnable games before closing with KC, @Den, @ Buf, Jets.

I don't think the offense is good enough though for this to be a playoff team and frankly even matching last years win total will be hard even though they should be a better team than last year.

Given that the biggest (by far) complaint of last year’s 8-9 team was offensive coaching, logic tells me they’ll be better on offense this year - better game-planning and prep, better in-game decisions, more faith in the staff.  Mac was either cheated out of a growth year in Year 2 or he wasn’t. Can’t have that both ways. 

If he’s protected, the offense will move the ball. Big if of course - dependent on health and attitude of the o-line, Trent Brown in particular. The schedule concern to me is all about the AFC East.  Pats have to compete in the division and it remains to be seen whether they will.