Author Topic: Could Simons be up for grabs if Dame is traded?  (Read 1171 times)

Could Simons be up for grabs if Dame is traded?
« on: June 25, 2023, 01:34:24 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 229
If Dame gets traded and the Blazers decide to go full rebuild will they see what they can get for Simons or keep him as part of their young core moving forward?

Something tells me Portland would just want to focus on Scoot moving forward, and may see Simons as an impediment to his development. If that’s the case they can probably expect a return for him similar to what the Pelicans got for Holiday and what the Spurs got for Murray - I think his value is comparable to those two.
So would you dangle Brogdon and at least 3 1st rounders for Simons?

It would be a steep price, but I feel Simons is worth it. 23 years old and already 20+ a game scorer on good efficiency. He’s also on a very reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

Simons - Pritchard
Brown - White
Tatum - FA
Williams - GW replacement via sign and trade?
Porzingiz - Horford

Re: Could Simons be up for grabs if Dame is traded?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 01:39:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I was reading some Blazers fans reactions to drafting Scoot. Many of them wanted the full rebuild with Lillard being traded.

I was surprised to see how many wanted A Simons traded as well not because of his contract (which was my guess as to why they wanted him traded) but because they saw S Sharpe as a better fit next to Scoot and a player with more potential than A Simons.

So they saw A Simons as the odd man out. Better to rebuild fully and find better pieces (frontcourt pieces) to put alongside their backcourt of the future of Scoot and S Sharpe.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 01:40:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

God no.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
If Dame gets traded and the Blazers decide to go full rebuild will they see what they can get for Simons or keep him as part of their young core moving forward?

Something tells me Portland would just want to focus on Scoot moving forward, and may see Simons as an impediment to his development. If that’s the case they can probably expect a return for him similar to what the Pelicans got for Holiday and what the Spurs got for Murray - I think his value is comparable to those two.

It would be a steep price, but I feel Simons is worth it. 23 years old and already 20+ a game scorer on good efficiency. He’s also on a very reasonable contract for a player of his caliber.

Simons - Pritchard
Brown - White
Tatum - FA
Williams - GW replacement via sign and trade?
Porzingiz - Horford

Can A Simons play PG full time?

Is he a good enough passer & ball-handler? A good enough floor general / leader?

Or is he too much a scorer? Not enough balance with his passing. Too concerned with getting his own shot and not concerned enough with setting up his teammates with easy scoring opportunities.

I have seen him more as a secondary ball-handler but I haven't seen much of him at PG.

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 01:45:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

God no.

I would be comfortable at 2 firsts. I believe A Simons would make a great 6th man. He reminds me of Jason Terry. A young long term fixture at 6th man is worth that.

At 3 firsts I would want to be confident in A Simons as a full time starting PG. I don't have enough information about how he plays at PG to be confident in that. So I lean towards no. But I am curious.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 02:19:18 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
You do realize we have two players averaging 20+ and one that just averaged 30? Not to mention, a more versatile guard in Brogdon already making a similar salary? Yes, shooting is always nice to have more of, but Simons doesn't do anything else well and there are only so many shots to go around.

It would be nice to have another guard on the roster since Pritchard might be unplayable in certain playoff matchups and Brogdon's health is always a question, but preferably it's not a one-dimensional scorer. Preferably they get someone with more of the other skills like playmaking, ballhandling, and defense.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
You do realize we have two players averaging 20+ and one that just averaged 30? Not to mention, a more versatile guard in Brogdon already making a similar salary? Yes, shooting is always nice to have more of, but Simons doesn't do anything else well and there are only so many shots to go around.

It would be nice to have another guard on the roster since Pritchard might be unplayable in certain playoff matchups and Brogdon's health is always a question, but preferably it's not a one-dimensional scorer. Preferably they get someone with more of the other skills like playmaking, ballhandling, and defense.
I like Simons.  I'd go after him and look to trade Brogdon.  Simons is younger and healthier.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 03:00:53 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

I like Simons.  I'd go after him and look to trade Brogdon.  Simons is younger and healthier.

But what's the point if he doesn't bring any of the other things we need and only one thing we already have a lot of? Unless you're saying that Brogdon at this point is just too untrustworthy from a health perspective that anything you could get for him with value would be worth it. Simons can't play PG, can't defend, is smaller, and doesn't have the nearly the amount of leadership/intangibles/experience Brogdon does. There's only one ball and we have three scorers already. Simons is the opposite of what we should be prioritizing.

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 03:13:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I’d rather keep Brogdon.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 03:15:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Omg …..Simmons … :o..yes let’s trade Tatum . 

I can’t believe he might be available…..I’m sooooooooooo excited

Brad get him !

NOT  >:(

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

But what's the point if he doesn't bring any of the other things we need and only one thing we already have a lot of? Unless you're saying that Brogdon at this point is just too untrustworthy from a health perspective that anything you could get for him with value would be worth it. Simons can't play PG, can't defend, is smaller, and doesn't have the nearly the amount of leadership/intangibles/experience Brogdon does. There's only one ball and we have three scorers already. Simons is the opposite of what we should be prioritizing.

That is how I feel about Brogdon. Not that we need to get rid of him but that it would be worthwhile to make a lateral move (even a slight setback) if it garnered us a healthier player.

Is A Simons that guy? He could be. Big paycheck though. I don't know if they can make that work after paying Jaylen & Porzingis. Probably not.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 04:18:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Simons is the kind of guy people look at and see the PPG average and decide he's a good player, but then when he's on an actual good team he gets played off the floor in the 2nd round of the playoffs because he gets hunted relentlessly on defense and the thing he's best at (having the ball in his hands and scoring) is something you'd rather your star players do.

He's a nice player, I worry he's get exposed like Jordan Poole just did come playoff time.

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 05:37:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
His deal is too steep a price point for what he projects as, which is a (very) high level bench scorer. I was interested when we were taking him for a shot at Scoot too, but not Simons alone. Definitely not for Brogdon + 3 1sts.

Someone like Buddy Hield (S&T involving Grant + a pick or two?) would be my dream
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)