Poll

POLL: Which one of the following is most likely to be on the C's roster for 2023-4 season?

W. Carter
3 (15%)
Valenchunas
0 (0%)
Vucevic
1 (5%)
Nurkic
0 (0%)
A. Davis
0 (0%)
Ayton
2 (10%)
J. Collins
6 (30%)
None of the above
8 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Who is our new frontcourt player?  (Read 1726 times)

Re: Who is our new frontcourt player?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2023, 04:15:47 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
That's...if he can stay healthy. 65 games last year was a good sign. Before that, 17, 34, 51, 43, 57, 0, 48. That's gross and hard to really count on. I'm not sure you can pay this guy a big contract and hold your breath that he'll be there. You can't rely on Brogdon, Williams, Porzingis, aging Horford to be healthy when it counts. You might get all four, you might get zero. You can get screwed so easily.

Well said. Those games played numbers are brutal. The idea of depending on Porzingis on a big long term contract is a terrible idea. Viewing him as a rental works better for me. Hopefully he can give us one good year and leave after that albeit likely without any compensation.

Our injury risk factor is going to skyrocket with Porzingis on the team. Porzingis and Rob. And an old Horford. All bigs. All injury risk. Two of them huge injury risks. Horford aging and may become a bigger injury risk moving forward.

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2023, 04:39:51 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Apparently we are in on Porzingis which is certainly interesting. If he stays healthy, he's a fit like a glove -- interior force on defense, spreads the floor, 27 years old. Can play the 4 if he needs to next to Rob but will likely find himself more comfortable at the 5 depending on the matchup. Let's Al play the same role but on reduced minutes -- they'd be fantastic as a pairing. It's very intriguing.

That's...if he can stay healthy. 65 games last year was a good sign. Before that, 17, 34, 51, 43, 57, 0, 48. That's gross and hard to really count on. I'm not sure you can pay this guy a big contract and hold your breath that he'll be there. You can't rely on Brogdon, Williams, Porzingis, aging Horford to be healthy when it counts. You might get all four, you might get zero. You can get screwed so easily.

I wonder what type of contract he's looking for and what the Wizards would need in return. The Beal trade suggests they'll be happy with really anything but I wouldn't trade any meaningful pieces or offer this guy a huge long-term deal. I'm not sure how that comes together.

You've misread his games played relatively substantially.  It's not 17 and 34 -- that's how many he played with Washington and Dallas separately in the season he was traded.  He played 51, 43 (out of 72) and 57 (out of 75) in the three years before last season.  Not great, but he's still playing in the majority of games -- 70% of his total games the last four seasons.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2023, 05:21:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Looking like it's gonna be "None of the Above", LOL.

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2023, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
Apparently we are in on Porzingis which is certainly interesting. If he stays healthy, he's a fit like a glove -- interior force on defense, spreads the floor, 27 years old. Can play the 4 if he needs to next to Rob but will likely find himself more comfortable at the 5 depending on the matchup. Let's Al play the same role but on reduced minutes -- they'd be fantastic as a pairing. It's very intriguing.

I wonder what type of contract he's looking for and what the Wizards would need in return. The Beal trade suggests they'll be happy with really anything but I wouldn't trade any meaningful pieces or offer this guy a huge long-term deal. I'm not sure how that comes together.

You've misread his games played relatively substantially.  It's not 17 and 34 -- that's how many he played with Washington and Dallas separately in the season he was traded.  He played 51, 43 (out of 72) and 57 (out of 75) in the three years before last season.  Not great, but he's still playing in the majority of games -- 70% of his total games the last four seasons.

You're right, my bad. Fair enough. Sorry, sloppy on my part.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka