Author Topic: Draft night for Celtics, what do you do?  (Read 5317 times)

Re: Draft night for Celtics, what do you do?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2023, 05:19:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Hoping we draft the next Marcus Smart in Rayan Rupert.
I was pretty underwhelmed with his offensive play in the NBL, but maybe I haven't paid close enough attention. His physical profile is outlandish, and he is only 19.

But the defence he plays, man... super high level! Great positioning, and is a really strong POA defender, especially for someone with his size. I could see Sacramento stealing him at 24 right before us. He's a prospect I have a hard time projecting

For sure his offense was underwhelming.  That’s why he’s likely going in the 20s, because he’s an NBA defender on day 1.  But he’s going to make winning plays, and the offense will come around, in part because his defense will get him on the floor.
If someone could just teach French wing prospects to shoot, that would be great!

Just saw that ESPN had mocked him to Memphis at 25 in their most recent draft, so now I’m even more hopeful.
I would be okay with Rupert. I could see him as an interesting fit long-term between our better offensive players. He would take a lot of pressure off other guys.

If he could be a Thybulle like guy from the get-go, but with some actual room to improve on the offensive end, then that's a pretty good pick.

I still prefer some others, namely TJD and Nnaji. Rupert is on the rung below with Miller & Colby Jones.

ESPN now has us taking Rupert at 25.  It’s a mock draft, but they seem to agree that the fit would be good.  I think his upside is nearly through the roof.  He’s super young, but his defense should get him real playing time next year which should help the offense develop.  The offense needs work, but you can squint and see some developable skills.  He has real 2-way potential, and elite at one end.  I like some of those other guys too, but Rupert is the type of player we need in the new cap world — someone who can become a high-level starter on his second deal, while giving competent minutes on his rookie deal.  That’s how you afford two supermaxes.
I’m coming around to him for sure. Watching a fair bit of tape on him. Can’t get over how long he is. His defensive stance is so good!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2023, 05:44:01 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Rupert can defend. I’m going to pray the Celtics prioritize a wing defender tonight

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2023, 06:04:04 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
FWIW:

"There's a rumor floating around about the Celtics trying to get to a pick in the top 10 that would bring a player back for his third go around with the Celtics."

James Stewart - 98.5

I'm thinking GWill/PP/25 to Indy for Theis/7.

Yes to the 7th pick. No to theis.
You wouldn’t seriously complain about that, would you? Theis is perfectly fine for the third string big role.

Pick Taylor Hendricks at 7 to replace Al long-term. Beef up the bench with FAs.

Yeah, it’s fine to bring back Theis as a throw in. However, I see no good trade options with Indiana. No way they give #7 for a Grant S&T.

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2023, 06:09:54 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
It would have to be 7 and filler for Pritchard, Grant, and two 1sts.  They probably still wouldn't do it because the two 1sts are both gonna be in the mid 20s.

« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2023, 06:13:56 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
What about Grant, Pritchard, and two 1sts to Utah? Get back pick #9

Filler would be some combo of Horton-Tucker, Gay, Kelly O, or Fontecchio.