Author Topic: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas  (Read 5734 times)

Re: Grant Williams Sign and Trade Ideas
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 04:04:03 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wouldn’t mind a Grant Williams to Dallas for Christian Wood sign and trade

They would never make this trade. 

Wood averages 16 PPG  and 7RPG 38% from downtown to Grants 8 PPG  and 5 RPG and shot 39% from downtown

Unless Luka told him to dump him, but still this doesn't make a lot of sense for the Mavs on any level as  I see it

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2023, 04:14:18 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

Wood averages 16 PPG  and 7RPG 38% from downtown to Grants 8 PPG  and 5 RPG and shot 39% from downtown

Unless Luka told him to dump him, but still this doesn't make a lot of sense for the Mavs on any level as  I see it

They reportedly aren't even going to resign Wood. Not even sure Wood is as good of a playoff rotation guy as Grant anyway.

But I wouldn't do that.

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I'd be interested in a Grant ( if the Celtics are moving on from him...) to Dallas for Kleber and Josh Green.
Josh Green is nice bench player. I like him. Not a clear role for him here with our 3 combo guards but acquiring him would allow us to trade one of those guys for a forward or big man and Josh Green could fill that vacant role at SG.

I don't think much of Kleber. He is Muscala 2.0. We don't need a 2nd Muscala. One is enough. Kleber won't add much to our team but we could trade him elsewhere for something else.

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

They reportedly aren't even going to resign Wood. Not even sure Wood is as good of a playoff rotation guy as Grant anyway.

But I wouldn't do that.

Yeah, C Wood struggled next to Kyrie & Luka so highly unlikely that DAL keep him around. Kidd didn't rate him highly either. Despite being highly productive, Wood struggled to play more than 25-29mpg most of the season.

The defensive stats when Luka, Kyrie & C Wood were in the game together were terrible. Far, far worse than the worst defensive team in the league. Although part of that was Kidd insisting on playing C Wood at center on an already undersized team instead of a PF alongside a 2nd big (like McGee). But appearently it was enough to convince Dallas that they cannot play together so C Wood is the odd man out.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2023, 05:36:29 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Obviously this may depend on what salary comes back if Brogdon is dealt, but I don't really think the Celtics want to go over the tax just to keep Grant. I'm beginning to think it might be the best move to try and trade him for a late first/early second, which the Pacers could provide. Take a step back, draft two guys you think could be part of the rotation (or one ready to play + one project) and enjoy their production for a cheap salary for 4 years, maybe more.

EDIT: I don't think the Pacers have any reason to deal Jackson since he has two years left.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2023, 05:56:41 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

But I wouldn't do that.

Yeah, C Wood struggled next to Kyrie & Luka so highly unlikely that DAL keep him around. Kidd didn't rate him highly either. Despite being highly productive, Wood struggled to play more than 25-29mpg most of the season.

The defensive stats when Luka, Kyrie & C Wood were in the game together were terrible. Far, far worse than the worst defensive team in the league. Although part of that was Kidd insisting on playing C Wood at center on an already undersized team instead of a PF alongside a 2nd big (like McGee). But appearently it was enough to convince Dallas that they cannot play together so C Wood is the odd man out.

With how Wood struggled last year what kind of contract will he even get?  He'd be a great bench big or pairing with Rob.  He can get buckets and the C's need that out of their bigs.  The scoring load on JT and JB needs lightened.

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258

But I wouldn't do that.

With how Wood struggled last year what kind of contract will he even get?  He'd be a great bench big or pairing with Rob.  He can get buckets and the C's need that out of their bigs.  The scoring load on JT and JB needs lightened.

I'm not touching the guy. There's a reason he keeps wearing out his welcome. The Mavericks are desperate for bodies and they don't even want him.

The C's lack of leadership or an experienced head coach means the team isn't in a position to take on risky players like Wood.

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2023, 06:07:00 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

But I wouldn't do that.

I would expect Wood to get $15-20mil per year but he could drop to an MLE ($12mil) candidate if the market is weak.

I agree, he'd be a nice 6th man here. A backup big man. Can play PF or C depending on need. He'd be a good PF alongside Horford or Timelord at center. Opportunistic scorer too. Do not need to run a lot of plays for him. Something the team needs. Guys who can score in the flow of the offense well rather than taking the team out of flow to go one-on-one off the dribble (Jaylen, Tatum, Brogdon).

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2023, 06:30:26 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I'd be interested in a Grant ( if the Celtics are moving on from him...) to Dallas for Kleber and Josh Green.
Josh Green is nice bench player. I like him. Not a clear role for him here with our 3 combo guards but acquiring him would allow us to trade one of those guys for a forward or big man and Josh Green could fill that vacant role at SG.

I don't think much of Kleber. He is Muscala 2.0. We don't need a 2nd Muscala. One is enough. Kleber won't add much to our team but we could trade him elsewhere for something else.

I would like to have Green for one year and see how he works out. Take Bullock back as filler. Gives us two backup 6-6 or 6-7 guys that can shoot it.

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Grant can defend. Wood not so much.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2023, 09:10:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Still a huge talent differential between Wood and Grant.   Wood has the tools to be good defender>  He is an above average athlete with superior length.   He is what 6-11 with a 7-3 wingspan so the tools are there.

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2023, 06:37:46 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Boston globe says Celtics will likely just bring grant back barring an over pay.

I don't mind it. His true value is against Milwaukee.

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2023, 07:48:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
I can't fathom why a team would do a sign and trade with us when they could sign him.

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2023, 08:05:20 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
I can't fathom why a team would do a sign and trade with us when they could sign him.

A) Restricted free agency, because Boston will match reasonable deals.  So if they want him at something that isn’t an overlay, they’d make a trade.

B) Teams without cap space would also, obviously, need to make a trade.

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2023, 09:27:49 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Still a huge talent differential between Wood and Grant.   Wood has the tools to be good defender>  He is an above average athlete with superior length.   He is what 6-11 with a 7-3 wingspan so the tools are there.

Having "the tools to be a good defender" is useful/intriguing in a prospect, but in a 7-year pro it just means that he's worse at defense than he should be. Whether that's a lack of understanding of defense or a lack of effort on that end, it's an indictment of him on that end, not a plus.

I see no reason to think that he's suddenly going to become a plus defender in his 8th year, no matter how good his "tools" are.
I'm bitter.