Author Topic: Derrick White currently has highest avg plus minus in Celtic history  (Read 4122 times)

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1640176840210894849?s=46&t=mKapj_L9yUz61wFRcR3Wew

Still a couple of weeks to go but does anyone still miss that pick swap?  Or think he and J Rich are basically the same player?  Obviously Brad knew what kind of player white was.  And the spurs did too, hence the asking price.

Yet it was still a steal for the Celts.

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Couldn’t agree more.  And we have White for two more years after this.  It wasn’t a cheap trade, but it was still an A+ trade.

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The amazing thing about Derrick White is that even last season, when it looked like he was playing terribly, he managed to contribute to winning.  In 26 regular season games he played for the Celtics in 2021/22, the team record was 20-6 and he had a plus/minus of +170 (+6.5 per game).  His shooting "slash" was 41%/31%/85%, pretty underwhelming at best.  But he rebounded well for his position, got assists, minimized turnovers, and played solid defense.

This season, he is doing all of that and also hitting shots.  He improved his shooting slash to 46%/39%/87% with rebounds and assists slightly up (in similar minutes), and turnovers slightly down.

Derrick White is a tremendous find by Stevens.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
White is much like Tatum in his impact to winning is undeniable, even when he doesn't play all that well.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 10:46:59 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Least surprising trade result of the recent C's history, to be honest.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
White is one of my favorite players in the league.  He always plays, he always plays hard, and he's a very good quick decision-maker.  He's played every role we've asked him to, whether it's in the starting lineup or off the bench, and even as a main scorer in a few games.  He defends... really the only guy on the team this year who has consistently lived up to his rep at that end imho. 

We needed him to be more aggressive.  He stepped up.  We needed him to improve as a shooter.  He has.  Can't say enough about the dude.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
White is one of my favorite players in the league.  He always plays, he always plays hard, and he's a very good quick decision-maker.  He's played every role we've asked him to, whether it's in the starting lineup or off the bench, and even as a main scorer in a few games.  He defends... really the only guy on the team this year who has consistently lived up to his rep at that end imho. 

We needed him to be more aggressive.  He stepped up.  We needed him to improve as a shooter.  He has.  Can't say enough about the dude.

He's got some Dennis Johnson in him. A swiss army knife who gives the game whatever it needs.

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
This is gold.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/2/11/22929311/sorry-folks-derrick-white-trade-disaster-josh-richardson-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-romeo-langford

Haha

Yeah that didn't age well

To be fair, he did offer a caveat at the beginning:

Back when newspapers were more important institutions, they had general sports columnists who’d write scathing one-sided columns, devoid of any acknowledgement to the opposing argument. In that spirit, while I’m not a fan of the Derrick White trade, my actual opinions are more nuanced. I understand that it’s absurd to judge a trade less than 24 hours after it’s made. Regardless, I enjoyed writing this hit piece from the perspective of a blowhard writer.

Re: Derrick White currently has highest avg plus minus in Celtic history
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2023, 12:14:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is gold.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/2/11/22929311/sorry-folks-derrick-white-trade-disaster-josh-richardson-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-romeo-langford

Haha

Back when newspapers were more important institutions, they had general sports columnists who’d write scathing one-sided columns, devoid of any acknowledgement to the opposing argument. In that spirit, while I’m not a fan of the Derrick White trade, my actual opinions are more nuanced. I understand that it’s absurd to judge a trade less than 24 hours after it’s made. Regardless, I enjoyed writing this hit piece from the perspective of a blowhard writer.

Valid point.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2023, 12:18:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is gold.

Haha

He did indeed.  But, I would say he was no less wrong.  No nuance needed, this trade is a homerun, and always had the good possibility of being a homerun. 

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
This is gold.

Haha

He did indeed.  But, I would say he was no less wrong.  No nuance needed, this trade is a homerun, and always had the good possibility of being a homerun.

I would also disagree that these hit pieces are relics from a byegone era. If anything, the inflammatory "hot take" is more popular than ever, both from media and fans.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
  I hated White, even thought trading Brown and White for KD was a great deal if we could dump White without a pick.
  By the first month of this season I was saying keep White as a starter over TL. I've completely bought into White. Guy is great in any Tatum lineup. Feel like that chemistry is at a championship level.

#JKDW

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2023, 08:38:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I could see the potential on the Spurs , he usually played well against the C’s …..expensive but it’s panning out as a great move .  He is a cool customer under pressure ……add him to Brogdon and it’s one of my fav back courts ever .  Two guys who can do it all on the court at once is a nightmare matchup.