Author Topic: Time to Trade Jaylen After this Season  (Read 3480 times)

Re: Time to Trade Jaylen After this Season
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 08:19:40 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
thread already aging like 3-day old mackerel under a hot sun

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2023, 08:21:05 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
but but but Brown doesn't contribute to winning...

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 08:31:45 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
but but but Brown doesn't contribute to winning...

I've heard that.

;)

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 08:40:25 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Just give him the supermax instead  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 08:56:22 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Exactly.  Nice standing ovation from the Celtics fans for Jaylen.  Paul Pierce leading it...

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 09:15:45 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

I'm glad it's not my money. JB is worth the how much? $270M for his next contract? Times have changed since I was a kid. I doubt the 1983 Celtics starting 5 made that much total for their careers! But then Bill Russell probably thought the same thing looking at Larry Bird's last contract.

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I'm glad it's not my money. JB is worth the how much? $270M for his next contract? Times have changed since I was a kid. I doubt the 1983 Celtics starting 5 made that much total for their careers! But then Bill Russell probably thought the same thing looking at Larry Bird's last contract.

Yeah Jaylen definitely isn’t a 5/290M player. But that’s what the market is. It’s not just him and Tatum though, other stars will get PAID a ton going forward as well

Idk how we can afford to keep Tatum (300M), Jaylen (possibly 290M), Timelord, 2 of Smart/Brogdon/White, Horford, etc a few years from now. That could be nearly a billion in contracts lol

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah Jaylen definitely isn’t a 5/290M player. But that’s what the market is. It’s not just him and Tatum though, other stars will get PAID a ton going forward as well

Idk how we can afford to keep Tatum (300M), Jaylen (possibly 290M), Timelord, 2 of Smart/Brogdon/White, Horford, etc a few years from now. That could be nearly a billion in contracts lol

Those figures are tied to revenues though.  Teams afford those salaries because the teams / owners are printing money.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2023, 09:39:26 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Those figures are tied to revenues though.  Teams afford those salaries because the teams / owners are printing money.

Right, but I’m not sure our ownership group will pay luxury taxes to the level the Warriors have either. We’ll see how that unfolds a few years from now

It does feel like they are trying to address it though or prepare for it by jacking up all the ticket prices. Season ticket holders received price increases, and even for a random Sunday evening game against a bad team today, tickets were $100 for the cheapest which is insane

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2023, 10:22:16 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He’ll probably get the super max and then force his way out after that. Don’t think he’ll be a C forever.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2023, 12:08:42 AM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732

Do you know that for a fact, Roy, that all or most team owners are making hefty profits currently ?
You may well be right, Just asking how you know.

The Celtics entire front office/admin/ownership coaching staff is what makes me the most nervous about trying to win multiple titles with this group or in the future. I don't have faith in ownership's willingness to pay for a championship roster, especially over several seasons. I know Stevens has made some good moves as GM, but he has fallen down as well not going out and getting some quality bench help we needed and his decision to promote Mazzulla and then make it permanent was bad all the way around. The coaching staff, well, speaks for itself, I do not see Joe successfully navigating 4 playoff series and winning a title. Not saying he is the worst coach in the league or a bad person in any way, on the contrary. But we need a pro guy with experience and toughness to coach this group. It's not Joe's fault - he can't pretend to be someone he is not. But it is management's job to make sure we have the right coach in charge and to not waste the opportunity this talented roster can provide.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2023, 12:25:18 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Do you know that for a fact, Roy, that all or most team owners are making hefty profits currently ?
You may well be right, Just asking how you know.

The Celtics entire front office/admin/ownership coaching staff is what makes me the most nervous about trying to win multiple titles with this group or in the future. I don't have faith in ownership's willingness to pay for a championship roster, especially over several seasons. I know Stevens has made some good moves as GM, but he has fallen down as well not going out and getting some quality bench help we needed and his decision to promote Mazzulla and then make it permanent was bad all the way around. The coaching staff, well, speaks for itself, I do not see Joe successfully navigating 4 playoff series and winning a title. Not saying he is the worst coach in the league or a bad person in any way, on the contrary. But we need a pro guy with experience and toughness to coach this group. It's not Joe's fault - he can't pretend to be someone he is not. But it is management's job to make sure we have the right coach in charge and to not waste the opportunity this talented roster can provide.

The Celtics are absolutely printing money.  They get roughly ~$100 million through their cut of leaguewide NBA media deals.  They’re conservatively making another $150 million at the gate.  They get a cut of mercy and concessions, which isn’t small.  They have their local media deals, and have a ton of sponsorship deals — Vistaprint alone pays over $10 million to be on the team’s uniforms.  I’m going to guess they have about $400 million in revenue from the regular season alone.  This year with their luxury tax payments they might be breaking even on the regular season, and only the postseason will go to profit, but they’re definitely making money.

Come the time when Jaylen’s and Tatum’s extensions have kicked in, should that happen, their share of the national medial deal could be worth $250 million a year.  The C’s will be able to afford them.

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2023, 12:38:25 AM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Ugh. Close to 300m for a guy that doesn't seem to love Boston. Woof.

Trade this guy and keep drafting. Obviously, after they win the championship.

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2023, 01:23:25 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
If he doesn’t make All-NBA AND we don’t win the championship this year, I don’t see how we could keep him past the deadline next season without an extension.

If he makes All-NBA OR we win the championship, I think we keep him.

It would be extremely interesting to see what his market value looks like. Would teams be looking to at him like the missing piece to a contender, or would teams be looking to make him the guy they want to build around?

If we were to fall short this season, Brad may have a very intriguing summer ahead of him.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2023, 02:53:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Nothing I’ve read makes me think JB doesn’t want to be in Boston. I think it’s an even money bet that racial controversy in Boston increases the likelihood he’d want to stay v. wanting to leave. Jaylen is a political guy and seems to like a challenge.

I feel like people massively overread some of the articles written about JB recently. As in 'he declines to say he loves Boston with all his heart' = 'JB wants to leave'.

Or 'I want to be somewhere that wants me, where I'm needed and respected' = 'Boston is racist and nobody respects him'.

It's fun watercooler speculation, but I would be very surprised if JB wasn't here the next four years.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D