Poll

Solution to tanking: the team with the worst record is excluded from a chance at the nr. 1 pick?

Yes
2 (15.4%)
No
11 (84.6%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Anti-tanking rule  (Read 1591 times)

Anti-tanking rule
« on: March 22, 2023, 06:06:25 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
One rule change for the draft: the team with the worst record is excluded from the drawing for the number one pick. Would this simple change work to discourage tanking?

Re: Anti-tanking rule
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2023, 06:19:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
One rule change for the draft: the team with the worst record is excluded from the drawing for the number one pick. Would this simple change work to discourage tanking?

This doesn’t make any sense. You realize as currently operating they have flattened the odds so the teams at the bottom have no incentive to get worst record. This would just punish whatever team was actually the worst.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 06:31:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I'd generally be fine with a once every 3 years rule (from your own pick).  So if you win the lottery 2 straight years, the 2nd year you get the 2nd pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 06:33:29 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I've always thought this anti-tanking focus is nonsense.  Teams should be able to tank if they want especially after the ASG when they are out of the playoff picture.  It seems even more silly with the play-in spots.  How many teams are actually tanking this season? 

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 08:53:57 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I think the way they have it set up now is fine, except they should pick a ping pong ball for every single lottery pick, rather then just the first 3; this way, the only pick you’re “guaranteed” if you miss the playoffs is top 14.  In a loaded, top heavy draft, there’s still large incentive to tank if you’re guarantee a top 4 pick

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like the only once every three years you can land a top three pick. You get bumped to 4th if you won lottery and had a top pick recently.

Also like the idea teams position 7-10 get large player salary exemptions to help improve their clubs the following year.

That's two reasons not to tank.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 11:58:40 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I think the way they have it set up now is fine, except they should pick a ping pong ball for every single lottery pick, rather then just the first 3; this way, the only pick you’re “guaranteed” if you miss the playoffs is top 14.  In a loaded, top heavy draft, there’s still large incentive to tank if you’re guarantee a top 4 pick
They pick the top 4 spots and the worst team can drop to 5th (47.86% chance).

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2023, 06:20:25 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff

Thanks I couldn’t remember if they had changed that.  Still big difference between 4 and 14.  Not saying the worst record would ever pick that low, but it’s conceivable they’d drop to 7-10 some years

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2023, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Thanks I couldn’t remember if they had changed that.  Still big difference between 4 and 14.  Not saying the worst record would ever pick that low, but it’s conceivable they’d drop to 7-10 some years
which means they'd always stay bad which is bad for the sport.

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 06:17:35 PM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I like the only once every three years you can land a top three pick. You get bumped to 4th if you won lottery and had a top pick recently.

Also like the idea teams position 7-10 get large player salary exemptions to help improve their clubs the following year.

That's two reasons not to tank.
Think about what would happen if this was a rule.  The 1st year 3 bottom feeders get the top 3 spots. 

The next year those teams would likely still be awful but would be ineligible for the bottom 3 picks.  This would dramatically increase the odds of other teams of getting top 3 and would result in tanking by teams that wouldn't have tanked otherwise.

The 3rd year you would have 6 ineligible teams for the top 3.  Now you have teams that would otherwise be fighting for the play-in tanking because their odds of a top pick are dramatically higher.  Not a good idea.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 08:11:52 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff

So should every team use the Sixers “process” of tanking for half a decade straight?

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 09:36:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
I don’t mind 1-2 year tank ,  but some team just tank every year getting a top five pick , but just trade em off an and continue to tank until that next LeBron comes along .  That’s just crazy . After 2-3 years of consecutive lotto picks , you need to play ball.  And be forced down the lotto order .

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So should every team use the Sixers “process” of tanking for half a decade straight?
Sixers tanked for 3 seasons, which the Thunder just did, which Detroit and San Antonio are doing now, and which happens all of the time by a lot of franchises.  And the Sixers tanked for 3 seasons and have now made the playoffs for 6 straight years (including this one) and don't appear to be missing the playoffs any time soon.  The last time the Sixers made the playoffs for 6 consecutive seasons was 1976-1987. 

So yeah, I'd rather have teams tank for a few seasons, then end up like the Kings, where they are bad, but not bad enough and they end up out of the playoffs for 16 straight years, finally to end that streak this season.  The Kings didn't tank, so they never quite bottomed out and you really do need to bottom out to get the top level talent needed to you know actually be good.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2023, 10:24:10 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
I don’t have an issue with tanking right now tbh.  I don’t begrudge a team for bottoming out for a year or two when it makes sense to do so.  It’s only the deliberate bottom-feeding for the better part of a decade that I dislike, and there’s only one real example of that (there have been other long periods of futility that I instead attribute to incompetence or misfortune).

« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 02:50:42 AM by Atzar »