Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6022 times)

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2023, 07:31:05 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The forwards are harder to pick because of injuries.

I have Luka and Giannis on the first team. Then probably Durant and LeBron on the 2nd team. J Butler on the 3rd team.

I don't think A Davis deserves to be there. He has been up and down most of the year and missed a fair number of games. Zion was terrific for 29 games but clearly has not played enough to deserve it.

PG13 has had a good year. Kawhi has played very well but missed a lot of games. Been a minutes restriction for several of the games he has played. Yet, he has been dynamite when he has been out there. Jaylen has a good case as an alternative option here as well.

I am not that impressed with Randle or Siakam. I have them behind the rest. Markkanen is a maybe. He has played well.

I am leaning towards ruling out Kawhi. Not enough games. I thought he was mid-50s but he is only 44 and a bunch of those were minutes restricted. He is off my list.

Wow, LeBron has only played 47 games. This late season injury has really hurt him. He would have been up around 60 without that and I would have had him as a lock. Yeah, I am ruling him out as well. AD also only has 47 games. Okay, so Jimmy Butler moves up to the 2nd team in place of LeBron.

And Durant only 42 games. I had not realized he had missed that many. I am cutting him off my list as well. A half of a season is not enough to be All-NBA. At least get around 60 games (3/4ers of a season).

Middleton was injured all year and slow to return. If not for that, if he had played like he has in past years, I'd have him as a lock for an All-NBA spot.

Okay, so I am going to go with Jaylen Brown 2nd team All-NBA alongside Jimmy Butler. With Luka and Giannis on the first team. And Markkanen on the 3rd team. Randle or Siakam with the last spot.

Probably Randle due to team record although I prefer Siakam personally ... but I am so disinterested that I do not care which one of them gets it.

I believe the Knicks success is more about Brunson and quality team depth than it is about Randle.

2nd team All NBA Jaylen Brown at forward.

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2023, 09:03:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I have Luka and Giannis on the first team. Then probably Durant and LeBron on the 2nd team. J Butler on the 3rd team.

I don't think A Davis deserves to be there. He has been up and down most of the year and missed a fair number of games. Zion was terrific for 29 games but clearly has not played enough to deserve it.

PG13 has had a good year. Kawhi has played very well but missed a lot of games. Been a minutes restriction for several of the games he has played. Yet, he has been dynamite when he has been out there. Jaylen has a good case as an alternative option here as well.

I am not that impressed with Randle or Siakam. I have them behind the rest. Markkanen is a maybe. He has played well.

I am leaning towards ruling out Kawhi. Not enough games. I thought he was mid-50s but he is only 44 and a bunch of those were minutes restricted. He is off my list.

Wow, LeBron has only played 47 games. This late season injury has really hurt him. He would have been up around 60 without that and I would have had him as a lock. Yeah, I am ruling him out as well. AD also only has 47 games. Okay, so Jimmy Butler moves up to the 2nd team in place of LeBron.

And Durant only 42 games. I had not realized he had missed that many. I am cutting him off my list as well. A half of a season is not enough to be All-NBA. At least get around 60 games (3/4ers of a season).

Middleton was injured all year and slow to return. If not for that, if he had played like he has in past years, I'd have him as a lock for an All-NBA spot.

Okay, so I am going to go with Jaylen Brown 2nd team All-NBA alongside Jimmy Butler. With Luka and Giannis on the first team. And Markkanen on the 3rd team. Randle or Siakam with the last spot.

Probably Randle due to team record although I prefer Siakam personally ... but I am so disinterested that I do not care which one of them gets it.

I believe the Knicks success is more about Brunson and quality team depth than it is about Randle.

the one thing I disagree with is having Luka as a forward.  he's Dallas' PG.  put him in with the guards.  I know his size would say forward but he's actually playing guard.

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2023, 09:06:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Tatum?  Tatum and Giannis are about as guaranteed lock as as the 1st team forwards as you will find (the only caveat would be if enough voters vote for Jokic or Embiid to qualify as a forward). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2023, 09:27:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Davis is considered, is he the 3rd Team center?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2023, 09:43:48 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Tatum?  Tatum and Giannis are about as guaranteed lock as as the 1st team forwards as you will find (the only caveat would be if enough voters vote for Jokic or Embiid to qualify as a forward).
Ah, I forgot Tatum.

Okay, bump Luka to 2nd team. Luka and Jimmy.

Jaylen 3rd team alongside Markkanen.

« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2023, 09:44:40 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I am going Jokic 1st team, Embiid 2nd team, D Sabonis 3rd team.

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2023, 09:54:39 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I am going Jokic 1st team, Embiid 2nd team, D Sabonis 3rd team.

Ah, yeah.  Sabonis is a better choice. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2023, 12:16:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Davis has not played anything close to enough games. He is at 47 games. He would be at like 57 if he played every remaining game.

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2023, 02:12:57 PM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I hope that going forward they implement the following with regard to All NBA Teams:

Games and minutes minimums - practice load management at your own peril but availability should be a factor

Get rid of positions - gone are the days when it was critical teams have a strict Center-two forward-two guard balance.  The All NBA Teams should reflect that.  This is especially important because if half the voters vote in JB in as a forward and the other half as a guard, it could lead to him missing altogether

Stop linking contracts to All-NBA honors - the press shouldn't be determining contracts.  I have not seen a quote from one journalist that says otherwise. [/li][/list]

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2023, 02:21:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
    I hope that going forward they implement the following with regard to All NBA Teams:

Games and minutes minimums - practice load management at your own peril but availability should be a factor

Get rid of positions - gone are the days when it was critical teams have a strict Center-two forward-two guard balance.  The All NBA Teams should reflect that.  This is especially important because if half the voters vote in JB in as a forward and the other half as a guard, it could lead to him missing altogether

Stop linking contracts to All-NBA honors - the press shouldn't be determining contracts.  I have not seen a quote from one journalist that says otherwise. [/li][/list]
    Or just only make a player eligible at the position they play the most.  Not that hard to say Jaylen Brown is a guard and can only be a guard. 

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2023, 03:17:22 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
    • Tommy Points: 349

Or just only make a player eligible at the position they play the most.  Not that hard to say Jaylen Brown is a guard and can only be a guard.

Jaylen has played 60% of his minutes at small or power forward, only 40% as a guard. He's a 3 in our starting lineup (Smart/White/Brown/Tatum/Horford).

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2023, 03:28:57 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
      • Tommy Points: 858
      It is interesting that both Embiid and Jokic received All NBA  votes at both forward and center.  Jokic got more first team votes and more points overall, but both must have received more votes at C than F.  Embiid had 414 points total, there is no breakdown of how many at F vs C.  Tatum got 390 total points.

I am not sure how to fix this.  Is it more fair for Embiid to get first team as a forward than for Tatum to get first team as a forward?  Tatum also got guard votes but would have been second team as a guard (Booker and Doncic both had more total points as guards).   The Tatum - Embiid thing is the only case where someone on a lower team had more total points than someone on a higher team.  Should Tatum be able to make it as a guard?

Embiid is not a forward, neither is Jokic, yet many ballots gave them votes at forward.  It is true that if there are two great point guards, they can both get in as guards.

This is complicated but here is my solution.  Players can be placed in only one of the following 4 "positions", with a primary position and a secondary position.  (Example, a player could be either primary SF, secondary PF (maybe applicable to Tatum) or could be primary PF, secondary SF (maybe applicable to Giannis).  But those are the only two positions that a player could be selected for.

PG/SG
      SG/SF
      SF/PF
      PF/C

Then the ballot has 5 positions (still 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center):

PG
      SG
      SF
      PF
      C

For example, both Jokic and Embiid would be classified with the position C/PF (primary position being C).  They could be awarded a first team slot in either position.  Tatum would be a SF/PF or maybe a SF/SG.  Brown would be a SG/SF.  Doncic a PG/SG, and so on.  But every player would have only one primary position and one secondary position.

Then, you take the top total points players.  Last year, whoever between Jokic and Embiid got the most points at C, would be first team C.  But if Embiid had more points, he could have gotten a PF slot with Giannis taking a SF spot.

Even my more complicated system is not perfect.  You could still end up with say 3 true PGs with high points, but only room for 2 (one at PG, one at SG), but this is more fair to the centers by allowing them to be considered at PF also.  You could end up with say:

Curry (pg)
      Doncic (sg)
      Booker (sf)
      Giannis (pf)
      Jokic (c)

Which is really 3 guards but more likely, you end up with something like this:

Doncic (pg)
      Tatum (sg)
      Giannis (sf)
      Embiid (pf)
      Jokic (c)

This assumes Giannis is given the position of PF/Wing and not PF/C and Tatum SF/SG, not SF/PF.

Complicated enough for you?  In reality, Tatum is probably a SF/PF and Giannis a PF/SF so you still end up with 4 players (Giannis, Tatum, Embiid, and Jokic) competing for 3 slots (C, PF, SF) so not all of them can be first team in any case.

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2023, 03:34:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Jaylen has played 60% of his minutes at small or power forward, only 40% as a guard. He's a 3 in our starting lineup (Smart/White/Brown/Tatum/Horford).
        The he is a forward and only a forward.  Again it isn't that hard.

I actually think you should have to play at least 30% at a position to qualify.  So I wouldn't have issue with Brown being a guard and a forward, but Embiid and Jokic are centers, DeRozan is a forward, etc.  Enough with making guys eligible at positions they don't play. 

« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2023, 03:56:03 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
        • Tommy Points: 289
        I feel like Brown needs this attitude towards everything to be competitive. If he is content then he will never demand more from others or himself. Therefore I see nothing wrong with what has been said.

Stay angry and slighted; full of fire.

« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2023, 05:34:48 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
        • Tommy Points: 717
        As for his commitment, obviously nothing is ever binding (Kyrie), but I was actually encouraged by the interview:

“I don’t know. As long as I’m needed. It’s not up to me,” he says. “We’ll see how they feel about me over time and I feel about them over time. Hopefully, whatever it is, it makes sense. But I will stay where I’m wanted. I will stay where I’m needed and treated correct.”

To me, it sounds like if the franchise is willing to commit to him, he's going to commit back to them.  We'll see.

Brown's continuous demands to be "respected" and "treated correct" are growing tiresome.
        Just play basketball in a way that contributes to winning and let all that take care of itself.
        Any player wants to feel wanted and appreciated by their franchise, but wearing it on your sleeve just creates an unneeded distraction.
        « Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 05:52:29 PM by tenn_smoothie »
        The Four Celtic Generals:
        Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
        Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce