Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6216 times)

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 06:49:47 PM »

Offline NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

(NOTE: I want Tatum and Jaylen here for life btw, but just throwing out ideas)

I'd wish the Nets would consider a Brown/Rob Williams for Bridges/Claxton type of base deal.
There is no one on the Nets currently who's an even swap for Jaylen. Bridges is a nice player - he's not a star and a guy who's going to win you a lot of games by himself.

Looking at from the standpoint Bridges is 26 years old, signed for 4 years at very reasonable money, is arguably way better defensively, and has shown some game offensively. Averaging 26 ppg with Nets in an extended role on offense. Not to mention he'd be comfortable understanding he's a #2 guy. Personality wise he seems like a great locker room guy as as well.

Claxton is a promising player too and at this point we need a C who can play a whole season. Might be time to give up on Rob Williams.

Who knows, if they added another piece or 2 to sweeten the deal, I feel like this is good value for us.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 07:52:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

Jimmy is too old. Limited jump-shot makes me think he won't age well. Lot of injuries too these past few seasons too.

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 08:40:32 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
We couldn’t even make it to the off season before this started up.  ::) He may resign but one day he will leave, the days of players retiring with the team that drafted them are over. Hopefully this team wakes up and can get a ring this season.

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 09:12:00 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
JB thinks the Nets violated the CBA by suspending his buddy Kyrie.

But I think if any player tarnishes the team's image or any misconduct affecting the team then it deserves a suspension.

Think this is year 7 for JB. We need chips, not ECF appearances or anything less.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 09:19:26 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
We couldn’t even make it to the off season before this started up.  ::) He may resign but one day he will leave, the days of players retiring with the team that drafted them are over. Hopefully this team wakes up and can get a ring this season.

JKJB, because Nick’s not around to say it “Just keep JB.”

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 09:33:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

JKJB, because Nick’s not around to say it “Just keep JB.”

I think the concern is, what if JB doesn’t want to be kept?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2023, 09:34:27 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Beginning of the end. This guy is as good as gone.

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2023, 10:24:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

I'd wish the Nets would consider a Brown/Rob Williams for Bridges/Claxton type of base deal.
There is no one on the Nets currently who's an even swap for Jaylen. Bridges is a nice player - he's not a star and a guy who's going to win you a lot of games by himself.

Looking at from the standpoint Bridges is 26 years old, signed for 4 years at very reasonable money, is arguably way better defensively, and has shown some game offensively. Averaging 26 ppg with Nets in an extended role on offense. Not to mention he'd be comfortable understanding he's a #2 guy. Personality wise he seems like a great locker room guy as as well.

Claxton is a promising player too and at this point we need a C who can play a whole season. Might be time to give up on Rob Williams.

Who knows, if they added another piece or 2 to sweeten the deal, I feel like this is good value for us.
In most NBA trades, the team getting the better player comes out on top. You don't trade a difference maker for a lesser player. If Jaylen leaves, the Celtics will get worse at least for the near term and won't be a serious threat to win a title until they can reconfigure their cap to make room for another player at Jaylen's level. Then they have to go out and recruit him.

« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2023, 10:36:21 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Some people have bought this up, but the All-NBA team selections could matter. If Jaylen makes it this year or next on some team, he'll have about 50-60M more coming from the C's in a potential supermax extension compared to other teams. But if he doesn't, the money is fairly similar regardless. So for the C's, you probably root for Jaylen to make 3rd team because no way he's turning down an extra potential 60M. Unfortunately I think the odds are against he makes an All-NBA team this season
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 10:53:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

In most NBA trades, the team getting the better player comes out on top. You don't trade a difference maker for a lesser player. If Jaylen leaves, the Celtics will get worse at least for the near term and won't be a serious threat to win a title until they can reconfigure their cap to make room for another player at Jaylen's level. Then they have to go out and recruit him.
I wouldn't make that trade, but do you actually consider Jaylen to be a difference maker?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2023, 11:04:50 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

I wouldn't make that trade, but do you actually consider Jaylen to be a difference maker?

2nd best player on a team that made it to the Finals last year… Yeah, I’d call him a difference maker.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 11:13:34 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2023, 12:32:47 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think Jaylen just made it clear that he wants the supermax if eligible, or else he's leaving. I don't blame him if that's the case. If the Celtics value him equally to Tatum, they will have the chance to show it. There are no young talented players out there taking less money to stay with any team long term in their prime years.

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2023, 05:39:05 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3/21/23639331/jaylen-brown-nba-boston-celtics

First off, great work by the ringer. They do such good work on these player profiles.

What are people’s thoughts on JB’s answers to the staying in Boston/playing with JT questions?

To me, it’s hard to know how to read him here. He’s certainly non-commital, but I get the sense that this is more political speak than anything. That is, (1) he’s setting himself up to demand the supermax if eligible (which I think we absolutely will/should offer), and (2) he wants to avoid a Kyrie situation if he leaves and not looked at at going back on his word.

So it sounds to me like a lot of it will come down to what offer we give him, though I doubt there’s any consideration of less than a max for him at this point. I think that’s what he’s getting at when he says feeling respected.

I don’t get the sense that this is a major red flag or anything where we should be trading him this summer. But, I do think it gives a pretty clear indication of what Brown expects for his next contract based on his own perceived value, and we better not mess around and try to lowball him.

I agree with your take 100%. I don't see it as being traitorous or anything. I think he's keeping his options open both financially and location wise which he's entitled to do. Too often we as fans think that players should look at their teams the way we do. The difference is we are fans of the team, while the team is their employer and this is their job and they have a limited amount of time to earn generational wealth. Players have a transactional relationship with the team while we have an emotive relationship.

End of day Brad and Co need to be doing their best to keep JB here, IF they think that JB is an important enough member of the team to give a max to (and I happen to think he is). I'm sure they would trade him without a second thought if they thought it would bring a better piece back (e.g. Giannis), and we as fans would happily wave goodbye if this was the case, so it's fair for him to try to get the best deal and your cards close to your chest and keep emotions out of it and hopefully try not to talk about it too much. Because the news organizations and journalists covering him have their own reasons to spin things they way they want to as well.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 05:45:09 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2023, 07:31:31 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

But I think if any player tarnishes the team's image or any misconduct affecting the team then it deserves a suspension.

Think this is year 7 for JB. We need chips, not ECF appearances or anything less.

We've gone over this in other threads on the topic but basically the point is not that the suspension was out of line relative to the CBA but that the terms of the suspension were (i.e. they suspended him more than they 'should have' according to the CBA).

If you're interested you can check out an interactive version of the document here:
https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/player-conduct.html
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2023, 07:34:12 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We've gone over this in other threads on the topic but basically the point is not that the suspension was out of line relative to the CBA but that the terms of the suspension were (i.e. they suspended him more than they 'should have' according to the CBA).

If you're interested you can check out an interactive version of the document here:
https://atlhawksfanatic.github.io/NBA-CBA/player-conduct.html

I'm curious, where do you think Morant's suspension falls in here?

Morant seems to have agreed to it, and the union is keeping its mouth shut.  But, without a finding that Morant took the gun on the team plane, is an 8 game suspension appropriate under the CBA?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes