Author Topic: JB Ringer Article  (Read 6075 times)

Re: JB Ringer Article
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2023, 01:56:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think JB is a fantastic player, and I find a lot of the things he says to be quite interesting.  I wish they were explored more by the media. 

But...  it's hard not to come back to quotes like these:

“Kyrie is one of those people who isn’t afraid of being wrong,” Brown says. “He isn’t afraid of being embarrassed. He’s not afraid of big moments either, doing great things. He’s one of those people that’s special. We see him at the top of the world, and we see him make some mistakes as well. But I appreciate the fact that the fear factor for him, even though he might have been afraid, didn’t stop him from doing or saying what he felt was right, for what he felt he needed to do. And that doesn’t exist in 99 percent of people. So, people can say what they want about Kyrie Irving, but he’s definitely my friend.”

When I broach the topic of Ye to Brown in Boston, the guard quickly declines to comment. “I don’t want to answer that question,” he says. “I don’t want to answer that.”

I wish JB would address the issue of why it's okay for Kyrie or Kanye to be casually racist, if we're in a word that values equality.  I don't think that it makes somebody special to say whatever they want without a filter.  So many of those people who "tell it like it is" are intolerant jerks.

He doesn't say that at all. He explains in this article that his issue with Kyrie's suspension was that it was in violation of the CBA and that in his position with the player's union, he has to have the players' best interest in mind.

Remind me, did Jaylen speak up for Meyers Leonard?  Did he comment "Energy" when racial supremacists were supporting Leonard?

To me, it's a bad look.  People are judged by the company they keep (and actively support).  From the article:

“The longer you stay with people with really, really compromised values, people believe that they’re also yours,” says DeRay Mckesson, a prominent civil rights activist. “Whether you say the things or not. I don’t think that people can pull up quotes where he was antisemitic, or a host of things, but he stayed too long.”

That applies to Kyrie as much as Kanye.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
“He always used to get in trouble,” Marcus Smart, Brown’s best friend on the team, tells me. “Because he would go one-on-five a lot when he was young, and everybody would just be like, ‘Slow down, man.’

“So I asked him, I’m like, ‘J.B., what be going through your head when we be yelling at you, “Slow down”’?

“He’s like, ‘All right, listen. So, right, y’all screaming slow down—the defender hears that. So I’m thinking he’s going to think I’m slowing down, so I’m going to speed up.’

“And I’m like, ‘No, man.’ I’m like, ‘Nah, nah, nah, you got to change that. That’s not how you got to think.’”

I found this part hilarious.

Reading the whole article, I thought (similar to Roy I think): still not a fan of Jaylen's association with Kyrie and Kanye, and that if the article (or Jayeln) went deeper, it would turn out they share a lot of the same views.  Not buying Jaylen's stance that "I only stood up for Kyrie because it violated the CBA!" or that he stuck with Donda solely for the kids.  At the same time, I also thought all of Jaylen's biggest fans reading this article are going  to point to the mentions of grad classes, Harvard, MIT, etc. to prove how smart/special Brown is.  Nothing really new in this article on that stuff (only surprised they didn't mention chess lol).

On his long term future in Boston, can't really hate on him.  There's really no good answer.  Of course I'd love for him to say "I want to stay with the Celtics forever,"  but come on now, both the athletic landscape and the general population's view of the employer/employee relationship has shifted from what it used to be.  I don't expect players to pledge allegiance to any one team for life, just like I don't expect any one of us regular folks not to leave an employer for a better situation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:32:13 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2023, 02:26:40 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think JB is a fantastic player, and I find a lot of the things he says to be quite interesting.  I wish they were explored more by the media. 

“Kyrie is one of those people who isn’t afraid of being wrong,” Brown says. “He isn’t afraid of being embarrassed. He’s not afraid of big moments either, doing great things. He’s one of those people that’s special. We see him at the top of the world, and we see him make some mistakes as well. But I appreciate the fact that the fear factor for him, even though he might have been afraid, didn’t stop him from doing or saying what he felt was right, for what he felt he needed to do. And that doesn’t exist in 99 percent of people. So, people can say what they want about Kyrie Irving, but he’s definitely my friend.”

When I broach the topic of Ye to Brown in Boston, the guard quickly declines to comment. “I don’t want to answer that question,” he says. “I don’t want to answer that.”

I wish JB would address the issue of why it's okay for Kyrie or Kanye to be casually racist, if we're in a word that values equality.  I don't think that it makes somebody special to say whatever they want without a filter.  So many of those people who "tell it like it is" are intolerant jerks.

He doesn't say that at all. He explains in this article that his issue with Kyrie's suspension was that it was in violation of the CBA and that in his position with the player's union, he has to have the players' best interest in mind.

Remind me, did Jaylen speak up for Meyers Leonard?  Did he comment "Energy" when racial supremacists were supporting Leonard?

To me, it's a bad look.  People are judged by the company they keep (and actively support).  From the article:

“The longer you stay with people with really, really compromised values, people believe that they’re also yours,” says DeRay Mckesson, a prominent civil rights activist. “Whether you say the things or not. I don’t think that people can pull up quotes where he was antisemitic, or a host of things, but he stayed too long.”

The way the Leonard situation was handled was completely different than how Kyrie's was handled. The Heat suspended him while the NBA investigated and then the NBA issued a defined suspension and fined him which is inline with the CBA. Kyrie was suspended indefinitely and the team publicly issued a list of demands he had to meet before he could return. As Jaylen said, it was essentially a ransom note.

2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2023, 02:34:32 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

The way the Leonard situation was handled was completely different than how Kyrie's was handled. The Heat suspended him while the NBA investigated and then the NBA issued a defined suspension and fined him which is inline with the CBA. Kyrie was suspended indefinitely and the team publicly issued a list of demands he had to meet before he could return. As Jaylen said, it was essentially a ransom note.

It's weird that no other union VPs spoke up.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2023, 02:45:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I suspect the team will offer him the most that they are allowed to and that they have made that clear to him.  His comments in this interview, the NYT’s article, and other previous comments, makes me think there is a reasonable chance he will after next year.  This is a better conversation for after the season, but I’d look to trade him after the season, ideally for a big that can pass and score.  Of course Stevens will have much more insight into Brown’s intentions.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2023, 03:02:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
“He always used to get in trouble,” Marcus Smart, Brown’s best friend on the team, tells me. “Because he would go one-on-five a lot when he was young, and everybody would just be like, ‘Slow down, man.’

“So I asked him, I’m like, ‘J.B., what be going through your head when we be yelling at you, “Slow down”’?

“He’s like, ‘All right, listen. So, right, y’all screaming slow down—the defender hears that. So I’m thinking he’s going to think I’m slowing down, so I’m going to speed up.’

“And I’m like, ‘No, man.’ I’m like, ‘Nah, nah, nah, you got to change that. That’s not how you got to think.’”

Reading the whole article, I thought (similar to Roy I think): still not a fan of Jaylen's association with Kyrie and Kanye, and that if the article (or Jayeln) went deeper, it would turn out they share a lot of the same views.  Not buying Jaylen's stance that "I only stood up for Kyrie because it violated the CBA!" or that he stuck with Donda solely for the kids.  At the same time, I also thought all of Jaylen's biggest fans reading this article are going  to point to the mentions of grad classes, Harvard, MIT, etc. to prove how smart/special Brown is.  Nothing really new in this article on that stuff (only surprised they didn't mention chess lol).

On his long term future in Boston, can't really hate on him.  There's really no good answer.  Of course I'd love for him to say "I want to stay with the Celtics forever,"  but come on now, both the athletic landscape and the general population's view of the employer/employee relationship has shifted from what it used to be.  I don't expect players to pledge allegiance to any one team for life, just like I don't expect any one of us regular folks not to leave an employer for a better situation.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel, too.

There’s just no good way to phrase something like this in this situation. I think as fans anything that doesn’t come across as “I want to stay here forever” will be perceived negatively, but on the flip side that sets you up as a villain and liar if you leave. Yet when you play it more neutral like this, the NBA community as a whole automatically assumes you want to leave, e.g. see the cesspool that is NBA Twitter today.

Just tough situation. Really the best thing is to avoid talking about it, but not always possible when doing an interview like this.

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2023, 03:07:29 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yeah, this is pretty much how I feel, too.

There’s just no good way to phrase something like this in this situation. I think as fans anything that doesn’t come across as “I want to stay here forever” will be perceived negatively, but on the flip side that sets you up as a villain and liar if you leave. Yet when you play it more neutral like this, the NBA community as a whole automatically assumes you want to leave, e.g. see the cesspool that is NBA Twitter today.

Just tough situation. Really the best thing is to avoid talking about it, but not always possible when doing an interview like this.
Or you say something like, "I'd like to stay in Boston for the rest of my career, but this is a business which will always be a factor in decisions."
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2023, 03:47:41 PM »

Online NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

(NOTE: I want Tatum and Jaylen here for life btw, but just throwing out ideas)

I'd wish the Nets would consider a Brown/Rob Williams for Bridges/Claxton type of base deal.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2023, 03:52:10 PM »

Online NextCeltic34

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107
Jaylen seems to have that I wanna prove people wrong attitude and it's cool and all, but it's just frustrating to see how often he makes turnovers dribbling off his foot, losing the ball mid dribble, getting ripped, etc.

End of the day I don't see many superstars making boneheaded plays like that as often. I'm literally surprised when he finishes dribbling moves. Tatum is almost similar in a sense... they both just seem sloppy to me with their "bags".

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2023, 04:05:07 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This is how SI.com described the Ringer article on its home page

Jaylen Brown Noncommittal About Future With the Celtics

Once you click the link, this is the title of the SI article

Jaylen Brown Gives Vague Response When Addressing Celtics Future

And here is the link to the article

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/03/21/jaylen-brown-gives-vague-response-addressing-celtics-future
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 04:36:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
WEEI already spinning it that he's gone.  ::) I haven't read the whole thing yet but just based on the quotes, he handled it like I'd have handled it.  He is under no obligation to sign an extension now and he won't. Keith Smith actually did a nice breakdown of his contract situation in an article he re-posted yesterday.

It would be dumb to say 'I'm staying' at this point in time. One thing for certain in this world - always keep your options open.

What I will say though is not every athlete can or wants to play in Boston. There's generational passion (not unlike what you see with European soccer teams) and on top of that now there's gambling. Which can spill over into people just being mean when things aren't going well.

There's a Facebook thread on the WEEI post and many of the comments are just nasty.  Kind of what he talks about with a certain segment of the fan base.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2023, 04:40:19 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If Jaylen doesn't plan on staying here beyond 2024, would you consider trading him in a package to get Jimmy Butler from Miami if that thing starts to spiral a bit? Tatum and Butler the #1 and #2?

(NOTE: I want Tatum and Jaylen here for life btw, but just throwing out ideas)

I'd wish the Nets would consider a Brown/Rob Williams for Bridges/Claxton type of base deal.
There is no one on the Nets currently who's an even swap for Jaylen. Bridges is a nice player - he's not a star and a guy who's going to win you a lot of games by himself.

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
JB for a formidable big like KAT?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 05:36:08 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I remember when Isaiah Thomas was still playing for the Celtics and he was getting interviewed. The interviewer mentioned Jaylen and Thomas laughed and quipped that “He (Jaylen) thinks he’s so smart”.

At the time I thought the comment was in poor taste, but the more I’ve seen of Jaylen’s personality the more I understand the remark.

Although in no way do I think Jaylen is a bad guy nor disliked by his teammates, but I do think his personality isn’t conducive to leadership. There’s an air of smug arrogance in Jaylen that is very reminiscent of Kyrie. That along with an outside of the box thought process, it’s no wonder that him and Kyrie see eye-to-eye on so many issues.

People tend to forget that Jaylen was one of the instigators from the disastrous 2018 season. He was unhappy about Stevens starting Hayward over him after Gordon returned from that devastating injury the season prior.

Obviously he’s entitled to his opinion and perhaps he was right, but again, it isn’t a sign of a team first guy, when you’re p---ed off with your coach, who’s just trying to give some confidence back to your all-star veteran.

The more I get to know Jaylen’s personality, the more I worry he will walk in free agency.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2023, 06:44:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
I'd rather he just say "I want to be here and I will re-sign," but that's just not something an NBA player usually says. And if he did we wouldn't believe him after the Kyrie fiasco.

This article comes across as a guy who's tired of seeing his name in trade rumors, even establishing himself as an all star. Like any NBA star or just a person in general he wants to feel wanted in the city he's in. He's clearly distruEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.l of how NBA business is conducted in general.

Off the top of my head here's a list of guys Brown has been in somewhat mainstream trade speculation/rumors for...

Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Bradley Beal, James Harden, Damontas Sabonis.

That's a lot of guys, hard to feel wanted when every year there's some other rumor.

My guess is if Boston can offer him the max, and if they do offer him the max, he'll re-sign. Because Boston is competing at the highest levels, can offer the most money, and he's said he's enjoyed playing here before. But we'll see, Brad Stevens and the font office has some reassuring to do behind the scenes.