Author Topic: Mo Money, Mo Problems?  (Read 2778 times)

Re: Mo Money, Mo Problems?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2023, 09:55:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Jaylen Brown’s performance this season has been fantastic, so much so, he may have an argument for All-NBA selection.

For comparison, here are last season’s All-NBA teams:

2021-22

All-NBA First Team

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Devin Booker
Luka Dončić
Nikola Jokić
Jayson Tatum

All-NBA Second Team

Stephen Curry
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid
Ja Morant

All-NBA Third Team

LeBron James
Chris Paul
Pascal Siakam
Karl-Anthony Towns
Trae Young

—————————

Given that Jayson Tatum has already qualified for a future super-max contract, if Brown makes All-NBA, the Celtics would have two super-max contracts in their future.

Will Wyc pay two super-max contracts?

Looking at this list at least three open spots. Don’t think Paul, demar or towns have a shot.

Curry probably also open

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2023, 10:26:04 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Jaylen Brown’s performance this season has been fantastic, so much so, he may have an argument for All-NBA selection.

2021-22

All-NBA First Team

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Devin Booker
Luka Dončić
Nikola Jokić
Jayson Tatum

All-NBA Second Team

Stephen Curry
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid
Ja Morant

All-NBA Third Team

LeBron James
Chris Paul
Pascal Siakam
Karl-Anthony Towns
Trae Young

—————————

Given that Jayson Tatum has already qualified for a future super-max contract, if Brown makes All-NBA, the Celtics would have two super-max contracts in their future.

Looking at this list at least three open spots. Don’t think Paul, demar or towns have a shot.

Curry probably also open

Plus

Booker has currently only played 34 games, Trae Young has had a pretty abysmal season in regards to shooting efficiency, and although Siakam has had a good season, All-NBA (usually) goes to players who's team makes the playoffs.

IMO, Brown is up against Edwards, Mitchell, Gilgeous-Alexander, Brunson & Fox.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 11:59:19 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

2021-22

All-NBA First Team

Giannis Antetokounmpo
Devin Booker
Luka Dončić
Nikola Jokić
Jayson Tatum

All-NBA Second Team

Stephen Curry
DeMar DeRozan
Kevin Durant
Joel Embiid
Ja Morant

All-NBA Third Team

LeBron James
Chris Paul
Pascal Siakam
Karl-Anthony Towns
Trae Young

—————————

Curry probably also open

Plus

Booker has currently only played 34 games, Trae Young has had a pretty abysmal season in regards to shooting efficiency, and although Siakam has had a good season, All-NBA (usually) goes to players who's team makes the playoffs.

IMO, Brown is up against Edwards, Mitchell, Gilgeous-Alexander, Brunson & Fox.
Young isn't shooting well, but he is also averaging 27 ppg, 10.2 apg, and 2.9 rpg, plus 1.1 spg, though a high 4.1 tpg.  He gets to the line a lot at 8.9 FTA and hits those at just under 89% so his TS% actually isn't bad at 57.1%

Brown isn't actually shooting much better than Trae from 3, at 33.6 vs 32.7 for Trae.  Brown is better from 2, but doesn't get the FT's or hit them at the same rate, so he has just a slightly better TS% at 58.4. 

The advanced metrics mostly favor Young, i.e. higher WS (and WS/48), higher BPM, higher VORP, etc.  Young is also the #1 option on his team so he takes more of the defensive brunt, and has contributed significantly more points overall given his superb assist numbers. 

I think Young will be voted ahead of Brown at this point just given the stat advantage he has (which matters a lot for All NBA Teams).  They both certainly could make it, but I'm guessing if the voting happened today the 1st Team guards would be Luka and Mitchell, the 2nd Team would be Irving and Young, and the 3rd team would be Brunson and Fox.  Still enough of the season left that that could change, but it could also mean guys like Booker and Curry play enough games to make it as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2023, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If Bucks win 1 seed, could see a case for Jrue Holiday making 3rd team.

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2023, 08:59:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Young will be voted ahead of Brown at this point just given the stat advantage he has (which matters a lot for All NBA Teams).  They both certainly could make it, but I'm guessing if the voting happened today the 1st Team guards would be Luka and Mitchell, the 2nd Team would be Irving and Young, and the 3rd team would be Brunson and Fox.  Still enough of the season left that that could change, but it could also mean guys like Booker and Curry play enough games to make it as well.

There's a lot of competition, for sure.  Not mentioned:  Lillard, SGA, Morant.

JB has a better chance if he's considered a forward.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 09:36:19 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I think he's got a pretty good chance at guard.  He was second in the east for All-Star voting in the media amongst guards, and I think if he continues his strong play and the Celtics keep winning, he'll get the nod. 

Also, I don't think Kyrie gets the votes.  There is a bit of politics to voting, and Kyrie's trade demand from Brooklyn will further hurt his already poor reputation in the media.  The Mavs going 3-4 since Kyrie joined them isn't going to help his case either.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 09:37:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

I forgot Morant, when I was doing my list, he will be 1st or 2nd team depending on how the voters favor him vs. Mitchell.  Lillard has a games played problem at this point, but if he basically finishes out the year healthy, he will make it as well.  I picked Fox over SGA, because of team record.  I just can't imagine there won't be a King on the All NBA Teams and Fox is the most deserving (though I guess Sabonis might be the 3rd Team center behind Jokic and Embiid - I just figured it would be Bam).

Forward may be slightly easier, but they have been fudging positions for awhile, like Embiid potentially qualifying as a forward.  Giannis and Tatum have pretty much locked up the 1st team.  Then you have Durant and Lebron who both seem like an easy 2nd Team calls even with the games missed.  After that, I guess Brown would probably be in the group with Siakam, Markkanen, Randle, Davis (if he stays healthy enough), DeRozan (if they actually make him his actual position).  So 3rd Team forward may be his best shot, but I don't think it is a given.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2023, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Hold up, the supermax for Jaylen could be 290M? WOWZA  :o

If they do pay that then I guess ticket prices + concessions are going to continue to soar lol

It's hard to see how they can keep most of the guys beyond 2024 though. Not every ownership group and organization is like the Warriors who will pay 100-200M+ in just luxury tax each year

Keep in mind, the reason that max contracts are going up is because revenue is rapidly expanding.  Don’t feel bad for ownership; they’re sitting on a goldmine.

Hope so. It's not my money so I would love to see it happen.

Jaylen potentially 290M. Tatum possibly 300M+ a few years later. And then a handful of others like Smart, White, Timelord, etc. hopefully in this team long term (beyond 2024). We might be fielding a team with nearly a billion in contracts lol
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2023, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hold up, the supermax for Jaylen could be 290M? WOWZA  :o

If they do pay that then I guess ticket prices + concessions are going to continue to soar lol

It's hard to see how they can keep most of the guys beyond 2024 though. Not every ownership group and organization is like the Warriors who will pay 100-200M+ in just luxury tax each year

Keep in mind, the reason that max contracts are going up is because revenue is rapidly expanding.  Don’t feel bad for ownership; they’re sitting on a goldmine.

Hope so. It's not my money so I would love to see it happen.

Jaylen potentially 290M. Tatum possibly 300M+ a few years later. And then a handful of others like Smart, White, Timelord, etc. hopefully in this team long term (beyond 2024). We might be fielding a team with nearly a billion in contracts lol

But also fielding a team that makes $100 million in profit annually, with a franchise value of $5 billion+ once the new CBA and TV deal are negotiated.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2023, 07:26:09 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2023, 08:09:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!

300M for each guy?? WOW.

Jaylen is definitely not a 290M player but that's the NBA market now
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2023, 09:42:44 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

300M for each guy?? WOW.

Jaylen is definitely not a 290M player but that's the NBA market now

Wait until you see the crazy cap and luxury tax numbers in 2025 and then reconsider whether Jaylen is a $290 million player.