Author Topic: Flipping The Switch: The One Time It Worked  (Read 3042 times)

Flipping The Switch: The One Time It Worked
« on: March 20, 2023, 08:51:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've been down on the Celtics chances, because I fundamentally don't believe in "flipping the switch", particularly if you don't have a core that has won a title together.  The regular season is important, and bad habits picked up in the regular season can carry over into the playoffs.

While I can't think of a non-championship nucleus that successfully "flipped the switch", there's an obvious example in the fairly-recent past for the Celtics of a core that did so:  the 2010 Celtics.

I've tried to block the 2010 Finals out of my head, because it legitimately still causes pain.  13 years later, it hurts.  There are lots of reasons why it hurts:  losing to the Lakers, Perk getting injured, and mostly the 4th quarter screw job by the officials.  But, for those looking for hope this season, let's not forget how the 2010 run happened.

We started the season 23-5.  We finished 52-30.  In other words, after the hot start, we went 29-25.  We limped into the playoffs losing 7 of 10 games.  We ended up the 4th seed.

Hope was pretty much lost.  Then, we beat the #5 Heat (Wade), the #1 Cavaliers (Lebron) and the #2 Magic (Howard), with no series going further than 6 games.  It was a run that absolutely nobody expected, and we took a 3-2 lead on the Kobe Lakers, the best team in the West.

So, that's the example we need to hope for this season.  Excellent teams -- championship-level teams -- can mess around during the regular season, and still have playoff success.  I wouldn't be on it, but there's precedent.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Flipping The Switch: The One Time It Worked
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2023, 08:56:27 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Yeah, that's always the first team I think of when it comes to a "flip the switch" team.  I remember this board freaking out much in the same manner, if not worse, as now during the latter days of the regular season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It's been a while but the losses feel similar to those losses in 2010. That said, the playoffs that year were really fun up until the last few games.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 09:16:57 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
That team was full of veterans who had been in playoff situations before. They were older and more experienced so they knew how to turn it on and turn it off. IIRC, this team has Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett and Perk. Wallace, Big Baby, Nate Rob, and Tony Allen, and Eddie House.
Great team, great chemistry, just a really unlucky break for Perk and the most inopportune time.

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Lebron's Cavs teams always flipped the switch.  I mean we had 4 years of posts about how the Cavs weren't a real threat, they were done, etc. because they were mostly winning in the low 50's, yet when the playoffs rolled around, Lebron kicked it into gear and willed the Cavs to the Finals (and sometimes with very little effort - i.e. 2017 when they lost just 1 game in the East).  Obviously Boston doesn't have a guy like Lebron on this team and he, at least, had a championship pedigree. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 09:39:28 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Lebron's Cavs teams always flipped the switch.  I mean we had 4 years of posts about how the Cavs weren't a real threat, they were done, etc. because they were mostly winning in the low 50's, yet when the playoffs rolled around, Lebron kicked it into gear and willed the Cavs to the Finals (and sometimes with very little effort - i.e. 2017 when they lost just 1 game in the East).  Obviously Boston doesn't have a guy like Lebron on this team and he, at least, had a championship pedigree.

In his second go-round in Cleveland, I think that's true.  The East was very weak overall, and Lebron just wanted to get through the regular season healthy.

As an aside, I'll never understand David Blatt being fired.  He gets fired for starting the season 30-11, with the team ultimately finishing with 57 wins.  It's hard to argue with championship results, but ultimately it seemed to be a situation of a guy trying to coach, and Lebron and others (Kyrie?) pushing back on that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 09:51:33 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't believe we need to "flip the switch".  I think we just need to be healthy.  Our starting 5 has played a total of 81 minutes together all season.

I think we just need to be healthy.  Expecting our early season success we had w/o Rob to ever come back is unrealistic because that was driven by unsustainable 3-point shooting.  I think we need Rob healthy or I think we've got an unlikely path to a title.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 10:03:33 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
That team was full of veterans who had been in playoff situations before. They were older and more experienced so they knew how to turn it on and turn it off. IIRC, this team has Rondo, Allen, Pierce, Garnett and Perk. Wallace, Big Baby, Nate Rob, and Tony Allen, and Eddie House.
Great team, great chemistry, just a really unlucky break for Perk and the most inopportune time.

Agreed, but I also think this was a double edged sword though - Sheed was the worst offender but they definitely 'took it easy' and 'played themselves into shape' for 2010 - if we get one more quarter out of Sheed in Game 7 we almost certainly win it, even with the screwjob from the referees.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2023, 10:18:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed, but I also think this was a double edged sword though - Sheed was the worst offender but they definitely 'took it easy' and 'played themselves into shape' for 2010 - if we get one more quarter out of Sheed in Game 7 we almost certainly win it, even with the screwjob from the referees.

Sheed's conditioning that season still drives me nuts.  Ugh.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2023, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

In his second go-round in Cleveland, I think that's true.  The East was very weak overall, and Lebron just wanted to get through the regular season healthy.

As an aside, I'll never understand David Blatt being fired.  He gets fired for starting the season 30-11, with the team ultimately finishing with 57 wins.  It's hard to argue with championship results, but ultimately it seemed to be a situation of a guy trying to coach, and Lebron and others (Kyrie?) pushing back on that.
No one liked Blatt.  He was hired for a rebuild and then the team was an instant contender and he was not the right coach for that.  He didn't have the NBA experience needed, didn't have the right personality, etc.  There is a reason he has never come close to another head coaching job in the NBA, he just wasn't cut out for coaching that level of team.  The record was good, but that was as much about a focused Lebron as anything else.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2023, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

True. But as relatively young as the current team is, they are deceptively quite playoff experienced (including finals experience) compared with the team going into the 2010 playoffs. It's not the same of course, but I've stopped considering inexperience to be a worthwhile factor with this group.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2023, 01:16:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think team management figures that the switch can get flipped by having everyone healthy come play off time.  Which is what happened last season. We started winning a lot because we became fully healthy.

In fairness, our troubles this season seemed to arise AFTER Rob Williams rejoined the team, and continued to get worse when he left.  I don't know what to make of that, other than he just wasn't as impactful as last season.

Only light at end of tunnel is that we are still capable of beating any team, including the Bucks.  But we are also capable of losing in the first round.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2023, 01:18:58 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The current Cs are a rare combination of young yet playoff experienced, but they haven’t won a title, and they haven't been around a long time, so even though they kinda “know what it takes,” they don’t entirely “know what it takes.” Thus, I don’t believe they’re in a position where they can just “flip a switch.” Rob can't stay healthy—I don’t believe he’ll be available for the entirety of Boston’s postseason—Tatum is in a serious 3pt-shooting funk, and the general team mentality right now seems to be nonchalant and uninspired. None of these things bodes well for playoff success. But hopefully they prove me wrong.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2023, 11:24:06 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
How about last year when the Warriors finished 3rd in the West with a record of 53-29 and won the championship. I get that they’ve won before, but talented teams can certainly flip the switch. I’m not really worried about home court, More worried about the C’s being healthy, which they haven’t been all year. If healthy, I think they win banner 18.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:58:29 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 12:50:31 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
This year's team don't have vets like KG, Wallace, and Perkins barking at the young guys and can enforce the team. Lack of vets who know how to get it done in the postseason like Pierce. Horford is great but he's old with age and just the only one; we need more.

Hope the switch is flipped, everyone sans Gallinari is healthy to play each game, and go on that 2010 run but win it all this time.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)