Author Topic: How much upside does Joe have?  (Read 15431 times)

Re: How much upside does Joe have?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 09:05:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I think the team was supposed to be WH ‘s if Udoka flopped .  Mazz might be thrown in a few years too early as head coach , but I guess he didn’t complain and is trying.  I personally think they need a more authoritative leader , but I’m not Brad or a GM   Nice only takes you so far in some jobs .

I’m a huge fan of nice. Not ashamed to say it. That doesn’t mean I’m not a big fan of clarity, expectations, role-modeling, hard work, learning, and stability.  Being a jerk can work. Just not my cup o tea. A good coach can be a taskmaster, a teacher, and an admired/trusted leader.  My guess is that Spoelstra, as an example, strikes that balance.

You said it better than me . 100% agree , I meant being tuff , but not Bobby Knight . I’m afraid that much of the above quality coaching traits you describe will not be acceptable to TODAYS diva star,  Bron and Kyrie types spoiled since 8 grade ….Ben Simmons .  These guys think a coach is not really  necessary and this unfortunate attitude  rubs off on the good unspoiled young men who look at these divas a idols.  Too soft mentally.

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2023, 11:48:10 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
57 wins. Not bad for a 1st year HC who doesn’t even know how to call timeouts.  :laugh:
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2023, 12:04:34 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
57 wins. Not bad for a 1st year HC who doesn’t even know how to call timeouts.  :laugh:

Yes if he’s this bad his first year you’d have to think he would figure out how to be good the next few years…he’s only 34 after all  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yes if he’s this bad his first year you’d have to think he would figure out how to be good the next few years…he’s only 34 after all  :angel:
I'm hoping he's figured out a lot of it now that we're going into the playoffs.  the last couple of weeks of the season he seems to have improved a bit, certainly with understanding taking timeouts to stem a run by the other team.   still don't care for his offensive philosophy. 

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2023, 10:10:36 AM »

Online aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

And the league's best record against over 500 teams - which is exactly who we'll face in the playoffs.

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2023, 01:45:15 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
At this point, I think Mazzulla has coached well enough.  The team is ready for a playoff run.  It is now up to the players.  So Joe's upside will be defined by the players.  Joe has 40 more wins this season than Pop.  What does that say about the two coaches?  A lot less than it says about the two teams.

I feel Mazzulla can coach well enough to give this team a chance to win a title this season.  I am not sure our chances would be any better with say Spoelstra or Kerr or whoever, if they had taken over at the start of the season, under the same circumstances.  Maybe a little, I don't know.

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 03:26:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Championship coach!

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 04:04:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
COY  ;D

Timeouts overrated in his book,  only slow thinkers need them  :laugh:

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2023, 05:58:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m still not a fan, but I guess we will see how many times he forgets Derrick White is on his bench in the playoffs, or how many terrible plays he designs after timeouts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2023, 07:41:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
57 wins, 2nd best record in the league, 2nd in offense & 3rd in defense (according to basketball-reference). It's a good resume and when you take into consideration how this season started for Mazulla, I don't think there's anything more you could've reasonably asked for from the regular season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2023, 09:27:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I’m still not a fan, but I guess we will see how many times he forgets Derrick White is on his bench in the playoffs, or how many terrible plays he designs after timeouts.
Yeah, but you can’t call terrible ATOs if you don’t call timeouts!

« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2023, 10:34:11 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

There was also the game we lost when he totally forgot Brogdon who led the team in scoring and put in Tatum and Smart who were both having a terrible game...
Im also not a fan of Mazulla tbh.
His no timeout policy and letting the players figure it out is just wrong for me.

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2023, 05:37:57 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“I just always liked Joe’s work ethic, his focus, his intelligence,” Ainge said. “I feel like Joe is one of those guys — one way that I’ve always measured greatness is how much a person can learn from mistakes they make. Joe’s going to learn from his mistakes, just like Will Hardy learns from his mistakes quickly. … The coaches that learn and move on, they become the legendary coaches.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not that he doesn't learn from mistakes at times, I'm sure he does.

My problem with Mazzulla is the bad basketball that he considers to be good basketball and, thus, doesn't see a need to change.
His offense has been maddening. We played a beautiful brand of offensive basketball the first quarter of the season - off-ball movement, off-ball screening, moving the ball inside and out with the pass and not with the dribble, constantly pushing the pace.

Slowly, it has ground down into occasional glimpses of the early season offense, but predominately having Tatum or Smart walk the ball up, maybe some movement around the 3-point line that ends with Tatum or Brown calling for a screener or simply going into their multiple foot & dribble fakes followed by a step back 3 or a drive to the basket while the rest of the team stands and watches.

We have awful shot selection and jack up way too many 3's and Joe is fine with it, even to the point of criticizing the team when they don't put up enough 3's to suit him. He sees nothing to be learned from playing this way - other than to shoot more 3's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2023, 05:45:02 AM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2023, 06:05:49 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
57 wins, 2nd best record in the league, 2nd in offense & 3rd in defense (according to basketball-reference). It's a good resume and when you take into consideration how this season started for Mazulla, I don't think there's anything more you could've reasonably asked for from the regular season.

Agreed, I don't either.

Problem being - that's not the point.

The point is that while he may have exceeded expectations in the regular season, he has also clearly demonstrated that he is not good enough to win the four playoff series in a row required to claim a title. Each round gets that much tougher than the previous one. Opponents now have plenty of time to focus just on your team and to create strategies to take advantage of your weaknesses.

I simply don't see Joe being nearly good enough to win that title and this isn't a training-wheels franchise.
We have now entered our title window clock. Fortunately, we are mostly young and should have a wide window of opportunity.

But Mazzulla is not the answer ....... and I personally do not think Brad Stevens is either.
Enough with the college guys - get some NBA-level personnel in the front office and on the coaching staff and let's hang some banners !!
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
“I just always liked Joe’s work ethic, his focus, his intelligence,” Ainge said. “I feel like Joe is one of those guys — one way that I’ve always measured greatness is how much a person can learn from mistakes they make. Joe’s going to learn from his mistakes, just like Will Hardy learns from his mistakes quickly. … The coaches that learn and move on, they become the legendary coaches.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not that he doesn't learn from mistakes at times, I'm sure he does.

My problem with Mazzulla is the bad basketball that he considers to be good basketball and, thus, doesn't see a need to change.
His offense has been maddening. We played a beautiful brand of offensive basketball the first quarter of the season - off-ball movement, off-ball screening, moving the ball inside and out with the pass and not with the dribble, constantly pushing the pace.

Slowly, it has ground down into occasional glimpses of the early season offense, but predominately having Tatum or Smart walk the ball up, maybe some movement around the 3-point line that ends with Tatum or Brown calling for a screener or simply going into their multiple foot & dribble fakes followed by a step back 3 or a drive to the basket while the rest of the team stands and watches.

We have awful shot selection and jack up way too many 3's and Joe is fine with it, even to the point of criticizing the team when they don't put up enough 3's to suit him. He sees nothing to be learned from playing this way - other than to shoot more 3's.

I have a feeling this was more the players effort than mazullas coaching or changing the offense. It's the same with the defense.

As soon as we played a good team then all of a sudden ball movement improved the defense improved. They got bored with the regular season and unfortunately let the #1 seed slip away.

Hopefully they can keep it on. And don't do the Jekyll Hyde they did in last year's playoffs "one game good, one game bad"