Author Topic: Celtics (49-22) at Jazz (33-36) Game #72 3/18/23  (Read 13418 times)

Re: Celtics (49-22) at Jazz (33-36) Game #72 3/18/23
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2023, 12:17:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If 1 of Timelord or Horford goes down this postseason we’re done. I don’t have much faith in our frontcourt rotation behind them. GWill is fine but the rest, idk. Kornet is hot garbage though that’s for sure
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2023, 12:19:00 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
48-22 run from the Jazz on either side of halftime, that’s where we lost the game. That can’t happen

It wasn’t getting out rebounded 56-40? Or Utah scoring 48 points in the paint to the C’s 30.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 12:47:31 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2023, 12:19:01 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
https://twitter.com/John_Karalis/status/1637300627213565953

All this postgame talk about trusting your best player to make a play is nice, but Jaylen Brown shot fairly well in this game. Why not run something with Tatum off ball to occupy the defense and try to get Brown a shot in the mid-range where he's been a killer?

Unbelievable. Just no in-game awareness whatsoever. Tatum has looked like crap since the ASB, and tonight a lot of it wasn't even his fault because they were legitimately double teaming him almost every time down the court.

But you expect him to make the play in that situation, when he just screwed us over the previous two possessions with awful shots that didn't go in? Just mind-numbingly dumb. So green and incompetent and not fit to be an NBA coach, let alone the Celtics.

Hate to say it but this kind of stuff is also how you can alienate Jaylen from the C’s.

And sorry to bring it up, but again, in last years Finals Jaylen was the one who showed up while Tatum laid a huge egg.

The warriors make it work with Steph and Klay but Kerr and the organization regards Klay very highly still and trust him in those clutch moments. Mazz for whatever reason doesn’t seem to trust Jaylen in these spots even in games where Jaylen is better than Tatum

I’m not sure that’s true. Wasn’t it just the other game that they ran a last second play for JAylen for a layup thst missed?

Sometimes we think that players are just automatically going to be open…the other team is going to be all over your gun players like a rash, especially someone like hardy who probably knows e a of what Jaylen and jaysons tendencies are, do they go their right or left, do they take 3 steps forward and 2 steps back etc.

but end of day Joe gets paid the big bucks to develop plays to outsmart the opposition, and the players get paid to execute and we judge them by results. And during the playoffs it could go down to one or two plays

Do you mean the Rockets game? Because that was Tatum who whiffed on two layups late in a game Jaylen scored 43

But honestly we’ll see. I’m not feeling too good about the coach regardless. He seems clueless on what his rotations are, when to call timeouts, and his explanations and reasoning for stuff is also mindboggling. “Layups are harder than 3s” please  ::)

And Mazz can keep talking about the “margins” but guess what, they continue to suck in that category too

Just looking at the replay of thst last play again, I didn’t see much movement from Jayson at the top of the key or jaylen in the corner. So maybe they are using Tatum as a decoy at the top..but The jazz switched with markannen going on to GWill from defending Brogdon so it gave GWill an opening to catch the ball in the paint. So hardy was able to manipulate our play to force GWill to make a play at the rim which wasn’t his strength

Now think about that. Some posters on here and Hardy understand what to do, but Mazzulla himself can’t adjust or prepare for the adjustment and then postgame says “yeah he ran the opposite way”

I mean boy… 10 games left in the season and we’re reeling  :(

Still 10 games to go, put the razor away til at least the first round buddy  :police:

Lol fine (puts razor down)

Just mad. This team has the talent but is just underachieving

Still going to buy first round tickets soon (maybe Game 2) so excited for that (until I see the prices probably)  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #378 on: March 19, 2023, 12:29:11 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
This one really bummed me out.

They can’t make stops when they need one.

Maybe that changes with Rob out there.
Yup

« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2023, 12:30:07 AM »

Offline 0003323344

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
Joe is toast. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag. The Celtics should never have signed him to his contract half way through the season. Now they have an uphill battle against Milwaukee and Philadelphia in the playoffs without home court advantage. I picked Philadelphia to get to the finals and I'm sticking with it. They are playing so much better than the Celtics, they have a better coach and Embiid is on a mission. The Celtics are a tattered mess thanks to Joe and Brad's poor decisions.

« Reply #380 on: March 19, 2023, 12:34:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Joe is toast. He can't coach his way out of a paper bag. The Celtics should never have signed him to his contract half way through the season. Now they have an uphill battle against Milwaukee and Philadelphia in the playoffs without home court advantage. I picked Philadelphia to get to the finals and I'm sticking with it. They are playing so much better than the Celtics, they have a better coach and Embiid is on a mission. The Celtics are a tattered mess thanks to Joe and Brad's poor decisions.
It is worrying that he can't seem to right the ship, but I think you're being a touch dramatic.

Especially by calling Doc Rivers a better coach than someone. That's beyond hyperbole, surely?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #381 on: March 19, 2023, 12:43:37 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Jaylen's Idiotic 8 second violation to end the 3rd
Brogdon's missed FT
Tatum Sucking all game once again
Joe's stupid last play call

and we lose by ONE freaking point....any of those things don't happen and we win.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #382 on: March 19, 2023, 12:50:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
48-22 run from the Jazz on either side of halftime, that’s where we lost the game. That can’t happen

It wasn’t getting out rebounded 56-40? Of Utah scoring 48 points in the paint to the C’s 30.

That too, especially the 17-5 offensive rebounding advantage the Jazz had. They outscored us 20-8 in 2nd chance points. We were just too small for them and didn't box out.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #383 on: March 19, 2023, 12:51:31 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Jaylen's Idiotic 8 second violation to end the 3rd
Brogdon's missed FT
Tatum Sucking all game once again
Joe's stupid last play call

and we lose by ONE freaking point....any of those things don't happen and we win.

That's what makes it more frustrating for fans, we made all those mistakes and lost by a point.

« Reply #384 on: March 19, 2023, 01:16:13 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Yeah it seems like EVERYONE is asking postgame why Jaylen never has a play drawn for him to take last minute shots. Always Tatum. Even though Jaylen legit hit a bucket to make it 117-113, and Tatum earlier missed a layup AND then missed a bad 3 right before the final sequence

Tatum is the #1 and alpha on the team, hence the ATO play gotta go through Tatum.

And there goes another Tatum ISO.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #385 on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:40 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The guy the Spurs picked up off waivers, Sandro Mamukelashvili, has been killing it on the boards. We could have had him for practically nothing and he'd address our rebounding and backup big issues.

But in Joe's world, he needs to be able to knock down the 3-ball consistently

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #386 on: March 19, 2023, 01:28:37 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Yeah it seems like EVERYONE is asking postgame why Jaylen never has a play drawn for him to take last minute shots. Always Tatum. Even though Jaylen legit hit a bucket to make it 117-113, and Tatum earlier missed a layup AND then missed a bad 3 right before the final sequence
Stats are a couple of weeks old, but this is probably why:
Tatum’s used to this. According to NBA.com, he is the only player in NBA history to shoot at least 50 percent on game-tying or go-ahead shots with less than 24 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter among players with at least 25 such attempts. His shot against the 76ers made him 13-of-26 on such shots — 15-of-29 including the playoffs.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #387 on: March 19, 2023, 03:52:19 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
GWill just explained exactly what happened in the last play, he was supposed to get it to Tatum and then he looked for brown when Tatum was covered and he was deep in the paint when he got free of markannen and he saw he had Kessler in front of him and when he dribbled he saw Hauser guy move to help out of the corner of his eye but by then there was like 2 or 3 sec left and they had to get a shot off

Just a play thst didn’t work basically. The loss was really due to a cumulative set of things thst didn’t work thst Utah did better, including thst play

I’m not that unhappy about the last play, it would have just papered over the cracks thst were obvious during the game, like poor defensive rebounding, lack of intensity and some questionable lineups from Joe

Here's GWill in his own words explaining what happened on the last play.

https://youtu.be/33Bd3dMm5u0

And here's the last play again.

https://youtu.be/EATdnJsTu34

You can see in hindsight what they were trying to do, GWill was supposed to run out to the 3 point line and hand it off to Tatum who was being guarded by Agbaji. Probably the plan was for Tatum to get downhill once GWill got the ball and screen off Adbaji either to go to the basket or hit a 3 or midrange jumper. JB also tried to loop around towards the top of the key for a midrange shot but THT blocked his way. But Markannen switched to GWill and Kessler stayed under the basket, so GWill switched directions running back towards the paint and when he got it his passing lanes to either Jay was blocked so he went for the shot. Olynyk helped off Hauser so maybe he could have passed to him but I guess with 2-3 sec left he just went for the shot and missed.

Obviously we remember that play as it ended the game but for me giving up a 46-22 run mostly because of a 17-5 offensive rebound deficit was what lost us the game. But Joe probably should put away that ATO where Tatum is at the top of the key for a while, I think everyone knows that's always the main option in that play. Hardy clearly knew that which was why Markannen switched and stopped GWill from running towards Tatum. The best plays have at least 3 possible outcomes to keep the defense guessing.

At this point I could care less about the seedings...I think they need to (somehow, in the 12 games left) get back to playing their best basketball. Giving up 19 point leads is not good basketball.

« Reply #388 on: March 19, 2023, 05:34:05 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
Grant finally has a good game and puts a stain on it with that dispicable final play. We already know by now that he completely wets the bed in clutch time so why was he even out there as a facilitator on a crucial play?? He shouldve kept his happy butt in the corner and used brogdon or JB to initiate the play and use JT as a decoy
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #389 on: March 19, 2023, 08:37:56 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
This team just looks uninterested, not connected on the court. Rebounding and turnovers are still a huge issue.

Blowing massive leads to every team they play (win or lose) is a real issue. The Cavs, T Wolves, Knicks, Sixers, Jazz, Nets, etc. are just glaring examples recently.

Team has no identity at all.