Author Topic: Damian Lillard criticism of the wider NBA landscape  (Read 1081 times)

Damian Lillard criticism of the wider NBA landscape
« on: March 15, 2023, 05:29:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud8y0oMpCcs

The video above is a segment from JJ Redick's podcast (which can be quite interesting, depending on who he is talking to), and it echoes some sentiments that I think are quite valuable. I thought his comments on the culture within the NBA were particularly interesting, mainly because I think most of us are well aware of how garbage the media that surrounds the NBA is.

Specifically, talking about the entitlement of incoming players and the lack of the more rugged veteran presences that Lillard had coming in. I thought it was interesting.

Sidenote: for a while, there was discussion on here over whether we'd trade Brown + assets for Lillard. A lot of people opposed it because of concerns over how he'd age, which I disagreed on, whilst perhaps being fair. He's averaging 32/7/5 on 47/38/92 splits, obviously with defensive mediocrity at best. Ageing pretty well thus far! I think I'd still trade JB and assets for Dame
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Re: Damian Lillard criticism of the wider NBA landscape
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2023, 06:31:30 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
He’s putting up great numbers but none of it is translating to winning.  I understand there’s something to be said for sticking with your team and not title-chasing, but his teams have still under-performed for years now.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 06:33:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Now if the Mavs had traded for him instead of Kyrie, they'd be a legit threat to come out of the West.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
He’s putting up great numbers but none of it is translating to winning.  I understand there’s something to be said for sticking with your team and not title-chasing, but his teams have still under-performed for years now.

Care to explain how a player who is 421-344 for his career isn't 'translating it to winning'?

Bonus points if it doesn't include the word 'ring' or 'ringgzzzz' or any permutation therein.

On topic: a few players have touched on this:
"Specifically, talking about the entitlement of incoming players and the lack of the more rugged veteran presences that Lillard had coming in. I thought it was interesting."
and a few locker-room voices, both named and unnamed, have pointed out that this is one of the things that can cause an issue with chasing young players on rookie contracts exclusively - as they're 'highest value'.

Namely that while you wind up with a lovely portfolio of assets, but it can be difficult to build a winning culture... though obviously winning, something rookies are typically not great at from day 1, is the biggest ingredient there.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 07:02:03 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Really don’t think he’s underperforming though.  Guy just doesn’t have enough help.  His teammates are a no-defense gunner, a decent wing whose defense has slipped, an oft-injured dinosaur of a center, and a pile of great athletes who don’t actually know how to play basketball and may never learn.

And really, this has been coming for a while.  Portland spent their money and assets several years ago, ending up below contender status and without a realistic path upwards.  They’ve rearranged deck chairs a few times hoping to catch lightning in a bottle and it isn’t happening.  That’s not on Lillard.  It’s on the FO imo.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 07:11:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
What do you mean by under-performed? What are the expectations? Portland has failed in their team build significantly in my opinion, surrounding him with other poor defenders like McCollum.

But that isn't the main point of the clip

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
If Portland had even an average bench, they would be a 40-45 win team this season.

Their bench is a disaster zone.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 07:43:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If Portland had even an average bench, they would be a 40-45 win team this season.

Their bench is a disaster zone.
Disaster zone might even be putting it generously. Their depth chart shows their 2nd line to be Arcidiacono, Shaedon Sharpe (amazing athlete, but a ways off), Reddish, Little and Eubanks. There is zero offence coming from that group

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2023, 10:05:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I've always been firmly in the "trade JB for the right guy" camp. Dame is a guy I'd pull the trigger on. His offensive prowess needs no explanation, but it's the leadership and locker room stuff I really admire about the guy.

That's just my opinion.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2023, 10:17:54 PM »

Online scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 175

Fair.

Also, Dame hasn’t been on a team that should even sniff the finals and he’s brought that crap team as far as the western conference finals