Author Topic: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread  (Read 31042 times)

Re: 2023 Red Sox Season Thread
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2023, 08:30:27 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So far the following potential candidates for the Red Sox Chief Baseball Officer role have all said they are not interested:

Theo Epstein (Cubs)
Mike Hazen and Amiel Sawdaye (Diamondbacks)
Brandon Gomes (Dodgers)
Sam Fuld (Phillies)
Derek Falvey (Twins)
Michael Hill (Marlins)
Jon Daniels (Rays, Rangers)
Raquel Ferreira (Red Sox)
James Click (Blue Jays, Astros)

According to Joe Sherman one of the reasons that nobody wants the job is because:

Joel Sherman, estimable reporter for MLB Network and the New York Post, wrote Tuesday, “The Red Sox have had difficulty recruiting top candidates to replace Bloom … There is a sense within the game that ownership has become more absentee as it pursues other business avenues and also that manager Alex Cora has growing influence on personnel decisions. That has potentially chilled the market.”

Sherman’s info echoes an email I received from a longtime former GM who wrote of “word apparently spreading across the baseball industry that the last two to hold that Red Sox position [Dave Dombrowski, Bloom] accomplished what they were asked to do … and yet were dismissed.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/10/18/sports/dan-shaughnessy-red-sox-baseball-operations/

The search continues...

That perfectly sums up my issues with ownership with Dombrowski and now Bloom. I'm not surprised we're having trouble getting top candidates, because despite the 2018 WS we haven't really acted like a top franchise in a long time. Anyone who takes the job will just end up being used as a scapegoat by ownership.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2023, 10:57:12 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1408
It is hard to know as fans, what marching orders the owners game Bloom, but you can go through his big moves and for the most part, they did not work out.

He didn't sign the contract with Sale, but it sounds like he had a chance to trade him but passed.  D-

The decision to trade Mookie may have already been made, I think the Dodgers were going to out bid the Sox in any case, but the players that he got back in the trade have not panned out.  C-

I feel the Padres overpaid for Bogaerts. This is linked to signing Story.  Together, the end result is a bad result.  D+

Signing Corey Kluber over Nathan Eovaldi was an absolute fail.  F

JD Martinez has not been all that much better than Justin Turner so I give that a wash.  C

As to the past 2 trade deadlines, acquisitions of Ausin Davis, Tommy Pham, Eric Hosmer, Corey Rosier, Max Ferguson are all really not much to show for it.  On the plus side, he got Reese McGuire, Enmanuel Valdez and Wilyer Abreu were all good pick ups.  This trade deadline, I feel they should have gotten some starting pitching to help the team now, but didn't.  C-

I am probably missing some things, especially if you go back further, but all in all, this is not a very good track record for a GM of a prime market team and it is reflected in the W-L record.

I’m not saying that he did a great job, but the Yoshida signing was an A. Turner, Jensen, and Story were good pickups. The team was pretty snake bitten with injuries this season and the owner doesn’t seem interested in spending on the roster like he has in the past.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2023, 01:00:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
It is hard to know as fans, what marching orders the owners game Bloom, but you can go through his big moves and for the most part, they did not work out.

He didn't sign the contract with Sale, but it sounds like he had a chance to trade him but passed.  D-

The decision to trade Mookie may have already been made, I think the Dodgers were going to out bid the Sox in any case, but the players that he got back in the trade have not panned out.  C-

I feel the Padres overpaid for Bogaerts. This is linked to signing Story.  Together, the end result is a bad result.  D+

JD Martinez has not been all that much better than Justin Turner so I give that a wash.  C

As to the past 2 trade deadlines, acquisitions of Ausin Davis, Tommy Pham, Eric Hosmer, Corey Rosier, Max Ferguson are all really not much to show for it.  On the plus side, he got Reese McGuire, Enmanuel Valdez and Wilyer Abreu were all good pick ups.  This trade deadline, I feel they should have gotten some starting pitching to help the team now, but didn't.  C-

I am probably missing some things, especially if you go back further, but all in all, this is not a very good track record for a GM of a prime market team and it is reflected in the W-L record.

I’m not saying that he did a great job, but the Yoshida signing was an A. Turner, Jensen, and Story were good pickups. The team was pretty snake bitten with injuries this season and the owner doesn’t seem interested in spending on the roster like he has in the past.

I agree on Yoshida and Jensen, both good deals.  Turner was essentially in for JD Martinez.  I can't say Turner was better than Martinez so to me that is a wash or a lateral move.  But Turner has been good.  But how was Story a good pick up?  He hasn't done anything in 2 seasons.

I think ownership is making it hard on these past couple of GMs.  Hopefully they can still get someone good and then let them do their job.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 01:23:34 PM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2023, 03:18:53 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

I agree on Yoshida and Jensen, both good deals.  Turner was essentially in for JD Martinez.  I can't say Turner was better than Martinez so to me that is a wash or a lateral move.  But Turner has been good.  But how was Story a good pick up?  He hasn't done anything in 2 seasons.

I think ownership is making it hard on these past couple of GMs.  Hopefully they can still get someone good and then let them do their job.

They basically did let Dombrowski and Bloom do their job ... and then fired them for it. They told Dombrowski he could spend, so he did, and they won ... and then they let him go, said the team needed to start saving money. So they told Bloom to cut spending, which he did ... and then they let him go. Right now, GMs can't win with this ownership group. I'm not a Bloom fan, but as far as I can tell, he did precisely what he was told to do, but once the natives (fans) got too restless, ownership once again shifted blame to someone else and changed direction.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2023, 05:54:59 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1351
Kim Ng, formerly of the Marlins, has also said she's not interested in the poisoned chalice.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2023, 05:57:57 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

They basically did let Dombrowski and Bloom do their job ... and then fired them for it. They told Dombrowski he could spend, so he did, and they won ... and then they let him go, said the team needed to start saving money. So they told Bloom to cut spending, which he did ... and then they let him go. Right now, GMs can't win with this ownership group. I'm not a Bloom fan, but as far as I can tell, he did precisely what he was told to do, but once the natives (fans) got too restless, ownership once again shifted blame to someone else and changed direction.

Henry's lost interest in it. It's just one more portfolio company in his portfolio...and not even the most high profile one that that. That would be Liverpool FC. His newest toy is the Penguins. I think with the Sox he has a care factor of zero.

« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2023, 06:01:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323

Henry's lost interest in it. It's just one more portfolio company in his portfolio...and not even the most high profile one that that. That would be Liverpool FC. His newest toy is the Penguins. I think with the Sox he has a care factor of zero.

Based on his decisions in recent times, I have to agree.

Quote from: ozgod
Kim Ng, formerly of the Marlins, has also said she's not interested in the poisoned chalice.

Disappointing, but not surprising. We might have to step in and run the team, lol.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
When over 10 people decline to even interview with you, and most of them are citing "family reasons" including Ferreira who is literally working for the team and is right down the street, that should tell you all you need to know.

Basically, these candidates are saying, "why the hell would I move my family and support system all the way here just to probably get fired and scapegoated out of here in 2-3 years". And also, they probably can't even bring their own staff in and still have to report to guys like Cora (a manager) and Sam Kennedy as well as keep their people.

Unfair or not, that's the standard the Red Sox ownership group and Sam Kennedy have created, and others know it.

It's definitely going to be Eddie Romero, maybe with Craig Breslow also added in some role. I do find it interesting that the Giants requested and received permission from the Sox to talk with Varitek. Will he also leave this offseason from Boston, to become a manager elsewhere?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2023, 06:43:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Craig Breslow, who pitched for the Red Sox's World Series winning team in 2013, has decided to accept the poisoned chalice that is the chief baseball officer position.

According to Alex Speier of The Boston Globe, Chicago Cubs assistant GM and former Boston reliever Craig Breslow has accepted the Red Sox’ offer to take over as the team’s new head of baseball operations.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-red-sox/2023/10/24/craig-breslow-red-sox-operations-chaim-bloom-baseball-mlb/?p1=hp_primary

« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2023, 07:31:52 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Breslow went to Yale I think. I have no idea what expect.

« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2023, 07:39:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I once pulled an autographed Craig Breslow rookie card from a pack of cards I bought.  It's always cool to get an autograph, especially a guy from the Red Sox.  That autograph is probably worth $5 these days, haha.

I don't think any GM is going to be successful for awhile, between tremendous fan expectations and a detached, suddenly cheap ownership group.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes