Author Topic: Celtics (47-22) at Timberwolves (35-34) Game #70 3/15/23  (Read 9564 times)

Re: Celtics (47-22) at Timberwolves (35-34) Game #70 3/15/23
« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2023, 11:18:42 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Gonna be honest, I just don't understand the Gobert hype. I mean everyone praises his defense and he is a former DPOY, but I feel like when he plays good teams with good centers, he looks mediocre. Then last night, he looked simply average all night. And the Wolves made that insane trade for him lol

Frankly I think Gobert is who held that Jazz team back a few years ago when they were in contender mode, not Mitchell. The Jazz had enough and a solid bench + coach, but Gobert was just overrated I feel and came up short many times
I don't think anyone hypes up Gobert any more. His rebounding, defence and passing have all regressed

Would ya swap PP and Grant for him  :D…….or Smart ?

The money doesn't work.

How about Smart, Timelord & Gallo for Gobert.

Would folks do that?

Gobert is exposed in the playoffs every year.

Part of the reason Gobert was exposed in the playoffs in recent seasons was the lack of quality defenders Utah had around him. Only Royce O'Neale was a plus defender. Well, and Conley but he was 6-1. The other guards and forwards were liabilities.

Here Gobert would have Tatum and Jaylen on the wings. Horford and G Williams as big forwards. D White and Brogdon as guards.

It made it easier for teams to game-plan around Gobert and get him away from the ball ... but if they do that here, they still have all those other guys to deal with. Would it still be as valuable? Probably not.

« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2023, 11:21:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The main issue I would have with Gobert is that I do not think he matches up well with our two biggest rivals in the East. Embiid has done very well with Gobert in the past & B Lopez can drag Gobert out of the paint and limit Gobert that way.

Our rivals in the West - Denver with Jokic cause Gobert troubles. I do like Gobert against Ayton and the Suns. They could run him off the floor with Durant at center but there should be enough minutes against Ayton anyways.

« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2023, 04:31:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gonna be honest, I just don't understand the Gobert hype. I mean everyone praises his defense and he is a former DPOY, but I feel like when he plays good teams with good centers, he looks mediocre. Then last night, he looked simply average all night. And the Wolves made that insane trade for him lol

Frankly I think Gobert is who held that Jazz team back a few years ago when they were in contender mode, not Mitchell. The Jazz had enough and a solid bench + coach, but Gobert was just overrated I feel and came up short many times
I don't think anyone hypes up Gobert any more. His rebounding, defence and passing have all regressed

Would ya swap PP and Grant for him  :D…….or Smart ?

The money doesn't work.

How about Smart, Timelord & Gallo for Gobert.

Would folks do that?
No, his contract is absurd. If Gobert's salary was half what it actually is then he'd be fine
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)