Poll

Who should have the Celtics drafted

Smart
23 (62.2%)
Randle
14 (37.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Poll: Re-Draft Marcus or Julius  (Read 6088 times)

Re: Poll: Re-Draft Marcus or Julius
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2023, 12:27:30 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

You are supposed to draft for upside and i always thought Randle at 6'8" 250 pounds with a great handle, strength and is a plus athlete. Thought he had the most upside.

Results are in now. Nine years later who do you got? I think Randle, Tatum,  Brown  would be good. Just hard to share the ball.

I thought it was an easy decision to, but that's just me.
Now?  what a joke.  waiting 9 years to feel you've been proven right about a draft selection we didn't make. 

I take Smart because he's had the most impactful career to date.  He hasn't been dismissed because he doesn't give a full effort or play defense which is exactly been what's dogged Randle his entire career. 

However, if you want to judge them based on just this year, sure, Randle's the better player and with the other guards on our team, swapping Randle for Smart would fill a whole at PF on offense and rebounding though I'm not sold his defense would be as good as Al's.

It does take this long to see if a player has reached his peak. Do u think Marcus is getting any better? Randle may still be getting better but he's about hit his peak.

And That's what your supposed to do as a GM. Who is going to be the best player in 5 to 10 years. 

The answer back then was Randle. The answer now is Randle. Do you duspute this fact Slam?

Also Randle has been the better player for many years now. I was waiting for Marcus to reach his peak. I was proud of Smart this year, but hes not getting better so the discussion is over its Randle.

Randle and Brunson are a top 5 Duo in the leauge this year. Smart would never be in a top Duo conversation any year.

Just curious which of these duos you have Brunson and randle ahead of.

Harden and Embid
Giannis and holiday
Brown Tatum
Booker and Durant
Leonard and George
Luka and irving
On the rare times they play Lebron and AD

I mean are they better than sabonis and fox?

Lebron, Davis
Kawhi,  George
Durant, Booker

The top 2 don't qualify, don't play enough,  and the latter was just formed and has played what 5 games together.

Randle and Brunson are a legit duo this year, steange as it sounds its true.

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2023, 12:32:11 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

You are supposed to draft for upside and i always thought Randle at 6'8" 250 pounds with a great handle, strength and is a plus athlete. Thought he had the most upside.

Results are in now. Nine years later who do you got? I think Randle, Tatum,  Brown  would be good. Just hard to share the ball.

Now?  what a joke.  waiting 9 years to feel you've been proven right about a draft selection we didn't make. 

I take Smart because he's had the most impactful career to date.  He hasn't been dismissed because he doesn't give a full effort or play defense which is exactly been what's dogged Randle his entire career. 

However, if you want to judge them based on just this year, sure, Randle's the better player and with the other guards on our team, swapping Randle for Smart would fill a whole at PF on offense and rebounding though I'm not sold his defense would be as good as Al's.

It does take this long to see if a player has reached his peak. Do u think Marcus is getting any better? Randle may still be getting better but he's about hit his peak.

And That's what your supposed to do as a GM. Who is going to be the best player in 5 to 10 years. 

The answer back then was Randle. The answer now is Randle. Do you duspute this fact Slam?

Also Randle has been the better player for many years now. I was waiting for Marcus to reach his peak. I was proud of Smart this year, but hes not getting better so the discussion is over its Randle.

Randle and Brunson are a top 5 Duo in the leauge this year. Smart would never be in a top Duo conversation any year.

Harden and Embid
Giannis and holiday
Brown Tatum
Booker and Durant
Leonard and George
Luka and irving

Lebron, Davis
Kawhi,  George
Durant, Booker

The top 2 don't qualify, don't play enough,  and the latter was just formed and has played what 5 games together.

I am not trying to say they are terrible, top 5 is just a stretch. I also haven’t mentioned a number of combos people would take over them like jokic and Murray or curry and klay/wiggins. Mitchell and garland etc.

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2023, 04:06:29 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Harden and Embid
Giannis and holiday
Brown Tatum
Booker and Durant
Leonard and George
Luka and irving

Lebron, Davis
Kawhi,  George
Durant, Booker

I am not trying to say they are terrible, top 5 is just a stretch. I also haven’t mentioned a number of combos people would take over them like jokic and Murray or curry and klay/wiggins. Mitchell and garland etc.

The Knicks are a dangerous team.  I do not want to see them at all in the post season.  I was a huge Brunson fan in college, and even im surprised at how well hes played with the Knicks.

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I do dispute it.  You can twist this any way you want in your effort to justify it but it doesn't make you right.

I have no issue saying Randle is having a better year this year than Smart.  better career?  nope.   Smart is still the reigning DPOY -- first guard to get that award since Gary Payton.  Randle's best gets him to adequate on that end.

takes more than offense which is what Randle provides.  Smart isn't a great shooter but he can run an offense pretty well and is excellent when shooting in the paint/post. 

if you want to die on that hill that you don't count what they accomplished in their careers until your binky is finally having a better year than Smart (by the way, what happened to your fandom of Elfrid that was pointed out earlier) you go for it.  I still take Smart -- he's accomplished more -- even though he can be frustrating as hell at times.  There's a reason Randle's moved around the league.

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2023, 09:18:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I do dispute it.  You can twist this any way you want in your effort to justify it but it doesn't make you right.

I have no issue saying Randle is having a better year this year than Smart.  better career?  nope.   Smart is still the reigning DPOY -- first guard to get that award since Gary Payton.  Randle's best gets him to adequate on that end.

takes more than offense which is what Randle provides.  Smart isn't a great shooter but he can run an offense pretty well and is excellent when shooting in the paint/post. 

if you want to die on that hill that you don't count what they accomplished in their careers until your binky is finally having a better year than Smart (by the way, what happened to your fandom of Elfrid that was pointed out earlier) you go for it.  I still take Smart -- he's accomplished more -- even though he can be frustrating as hell at times.  There's a reason Randle's moved around the league.
Randle is a much better scorer and rebounder.  I mean Randle's Offensive Win Shares thus far this year are more than Smart has had in the last 3 seasons combined.  And Randle's defensive win shares are actually greater than Smart's this year.  Smart's defense has tumbled dramatically this season and he is having a terrible offensive season.  Using AST% and TOV%, Randle actually has a better ratio than Smart (though totals Smart is much better).  Even historically, Randle's offense has far eclipsed Smart's and since offense is more critical it matters a great deal in the overall career.  I mean Randle has had a top 10 NBA season (2nd Team All NBA, 8th in MVP voting).  Smart has never come close to a season like that (not a single vote for All NBA in any season in his career).  Smart has been, is, and likely will continue to be the better defender, but unless Smart is playing at a DPOY type level, he just doesn't have the overall value of Randle, and Smart is not currently playing at that level.  If Smart makes an All Defense team this year it will be reputation based, not something he actually earned.  His defense hasn't been elite this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2023, 09:47:30 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I wanted Randle before the draft
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2023, 11:05:23 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Randle is a much better scorer and rebounder.  I mean Randle's Offensive Win Shares thus far this year are more than Smart has had in the last 3 seasons combined.  And Randle's defensive win shares are actually greater than Smart's this year.  Smart's defense has tumbled dramatically this season and he is having a terrible offensive season.  Using AST% and TOV%, Randle actually has a better ratio than Smart (though totals Smart is much better).  Even historically, Randle's offense has far eclipsed Smart's and since offense is more critical it matters a great deal in the overall career.  I mean Randle has had a top 10 NBA season (2nd Team All NBA, 8th in MVP voting).  Smart has never come close to a season like that (not a single vote for All NBA in any season in his career).  Smart has been, is, and likely will continue to be the better defender, but unless Smart is playing at a DPOY type level, he just doesn't have the overall value of Randle, and Smart is not currently playing at that level.  If Smart makes an All Defense team this year it will be reputation based, not something he actually earned.  His defense hasn't been elite this year.

TP Moranis.  Is Moranis twisting reality Slam?

Its plain as day to see that Randle, the big man with the handle, is the superior player. I mean he's a better three point shooter for crying out loud. Better dribbler, better rebounder, betet post player,  he's faster, stronger, taller, has a 37" vertical, passes well, he's a go to scorer.

And hes still improving. Have you ever thought about how much more he would have won, and how much playoff success hed have if he were on the Celtics die the last nine years.

Fact is if Our big three wäs indeed Tatum,  Randle, Brown,  that team is better and its not even close.

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2023, 11:11:28 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Its plain as day to see that Randle, the big man with the handle, is the superior player. I mean he's a better three point shooter for crying out loud. Better dribbler, better rebounder, betet post player,  he's faster, stronger, taller, has a 37" vertical, passes well, he's a go to scorer.

And hes still improving. Have you ever thought about how much more he would have won, and how much playoff success hed have if he were on the Celtics die the last nine years.

Fact is if Our big three wäs indeed Tatum,  Randle, Brown,  that team is better and its not even close.

This is a very strange debate. There were years randle would have helped us more and there are years smart would have helped us more. Randle certainly was not a team first guy early in his career which is why he bounced around and had low value when he signed in the pelicans. I also think it is unlikely brown, Tatum and randle on the same team would be happy with their shots on the same team, especially when trying to get their first big contracts. So what if drafting randle means brown has demanded a trade? Also I really would like to see randle win a playoff game this year before we dismiss the possibility his style of play has changed to winning basketball.

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2023, 11:34:29 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

This is a very strange debate. There were years randle would have helped us more and there are years smart would have helped us more. Randle certainly was not a team first guy early in his career which is why he bounced around and had low value when he signed in the pelicans. I also think it is unlikely brown, Tatum and randle on the same team would be happy with their shots on the same team, especially when trying to get their first big contracts. So what if drafting randle means brown has demanded a trade? Also I really would like to see randle win a playoff game this year before we dismiss the possibility his style of play has changed to winning basketball.

It is reasonable to wonder if the fit would be right, but its also very possible that if Randle started with the C's, his progression probably would have been better under Stevens. Marcus has vacillated between being a good fit and a bad fit too. Marcus can play winning basketball in the playoffs. He can also cost you some games.

The bottom line is Randle is a considerably better player than Marcus is, and it seems to me both guys have been equally inconsistent.

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2023, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Clay, would you agree that in the draft especially in the top six. Your job is to pick the pkayer with the highest upside.

That's my main point. The results are now in. The players have just about peaked and the winner is Randle.

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2023, 01:47:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  would you agree that in the draft especially in the top six. Your job is to pick the pkayer with the highest upside.

Clearly, then, Fultz and Lonzo were better picks than Tatum, based upon projected upside at the time.  A high ceiling is better than a high floor, right?

I wish we could go back in time and draft Dragan Bender over JB. That kid had unicorn potential.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2023, 02:07:16 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
  would you agree that in the draft especially in the top six. Your job is to pick the pkayer with the highest upside.

Clearly, then, Fultz and Lonzo were better picks than Tatum, based upon projected upside at the time.  A high ceiling is better than a high floor, right?

I wish we could go back in time and draft Dragan Bender over JB. That kid had unicorn potential.

Dragan and Jaylen were the two guys I liked from that draft. I'm glad Danny did the choosing.  ;D

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2023, 02:19:02 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
There's some alternative reality where the Celtics big three of Randle, Bender, & Fultz are currently leading a dynasty.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2023, 02:45:44 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There's some alternative reality where the Celtics big three of Randle, Bender, & Fultz are currently leading a dynasty.

Haha.  I like the multiverse where, with just a little luck or different decision making, we have Tatum / Mikal Bridges / Brown / Haliburton.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2023, 03:35:08 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Smart’s been to the playoffs every season of his career and a malleable starter on a NBA Finalist and 4 conference finalists with different rosters including twice opposite guards that are out of the league for their poor defense (having to cover for them in a switch all defense).

Randle’s been to the playoffs once in 9 seasons (will be twice this season), has 0 playoff series victories, and is an awkward fit that has to be the/a top scoring option for things to work.

Intangibles are so difficult to measure outside of actual wins that these comps are actual debates. Hopefully, a metric is created that better measures player value and winning impact so the right answer (which is Marcus was/is the better option) can be accurately settled.