Author Topic: UFC fighter tells on LeBron  (Read 6160 times)

Re: UFC fighter tells on LeBron
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2023, 09:43:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The thing that bothers me with the Lebron PED allegations is the lack of proof - with the technology we have now, there should be something more concrete that another tarnished athlete saying the use the same guy while trying to get social media attention. IMO, it comes off as bitter opposing fanbases trying to throw stones because they have nothing better to do. Love him or hate him, he's been a relatively good representative for the league. The most "controversial" thing he's done in his career is The Decision and that raised a ton of money for charity. Other than that, he's scandal free and appears to be a solid family man.

Counterpoint:  Lance Armstrong.

Lance is a good family man?

At the time, sure, although I’m not sure what a guy’s public image has to do with PED use.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2023, 09:54:08 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
The thing that bothers me with the Lebron PED allegations is the lack of proof - with the technology we have now, there should be something more concrete that another tarnished athlete saying the use the same guy while trying to get social media attention. IMO, it comes off as bitter opposing fanbases trying to throw stones because they have nothing better to do. Love him or hate him, he's been a relatively good representative for the league. The most "controversial" thing he's done in his career is The Decision and that raised a ton of money for charity. Other than that, he's scandal free and appears to be a solid family man.

At the time, sure, although I’m not sure what a guy’s public image has to do with PED use.

What was your Lance point?

Are you feeding the rumor mill that Lebron takes PEDs?

Also, why is Papi good but Bonds is bad?

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2023, 10:01:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Are you being intentionally dense?

Lance Armstrong passed every test for a decade in maybe the most highly-regulated sports in the world.  The “lack of evidence” against him was used to combat the narrative that his superhuman achievements were aided by PEDs.

Turns out he was just a highly sophisticated cheat.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2023, 10:07:36 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Lance Armstrong passed every test for a decade in maybe the most highly-regulated sports in the world.  The “lack of evidence” against him was used to combat the narrative that his superhuman achievements were aided by PEDs.

Not being intentionally dense. You posted one short line and wanted me to interpret it?

Your point is that everyone could be on steroids because testing wasn’t perfect?

Why are you avoiding my Big Papi question?

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2023, 10:18:20 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Not being intentionally dense. You posted one short line and wanted me to interpret it?

Your point is that everyone could be on steroids because testing wasn’t perfect?

Sorry to interrupt another’s argument, but the David Ortiz example irritates me.

They don’t know what Big Papi tested positive for.  He asked and the league was unable to tell him as the results had been destroyed as intended.  He said he was using fat burners bought over the counter from a health store (I think GNC).  These totally legal pills would have given a false positive. I don’t know if he’s telling the truth, but this is entirely plausible.  There were no other implications during his long career.

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2023, 10:21:26 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Sorry to interrupt another’s argument, but the David Ortiz example irritates me.

They don’t know what Big Papi tested positive for.  He asked and the league was unable to tell him as the results had been destroyed as intended.  He said he was using fat burners bought over the counter from a health store (I think GNC).  These totally legal pills would have given a false positive. I don’t know if he’s telling the truth, but this is entirely plausible.  There were no other implications during his long career.

My point: people are making assumptions based on heresay and other noise. They filter noise through their caveman meter.

“I don’t like Lebron so he must be guilty.”

“I love Papi so he is clean. I won’t hear otherwise.”

The PED discussion in 2023 is tired and basic.

*side note: who cares about grown men wearing sausage suits riding their bikes? Watch a real sport, like bowling or cornhole.

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't follow cycling at all so I'm not well-versed in the Lance drama. I didn't care then and I absolutely don't care now.

However, to your point: the evidence against Lance was there. It was provable.

To me, and this is completely my opinion, the tenor that the Lebron criticism has always taken on or the - "bias" against him - has nothing to do with him as a basketball player. No one is accusing Jokic or Doncic of using PEDs.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2023, 10:56:50 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I’m really astonished by people who do t care at all about PEDs in basketball. The problem for me is that who the best players are or which is the best team is potentially determined by who has the best doctors. That’s not the kind of competitive sport I enjoy.

There’s plenty of people who have gone into detail on this, but the NBA’s testing program is a joke. It can be beaten easily. That means we just don’t know for sure who the egregious users are.

If one assumes that PED use exists in the NBA, I don’t know how you can not suspect Lebron. He looks like he has facial acromegaly. He’s somehow more muscular than ever at age 38, even though testosterone levels start declining in one’s mid 20s. Folks, he is almost 40 and is on pace for the highest points per 36 minutes of his career.

We all turn a blind eye to this because we like the oohs and aahs, and the NBA and the team owners like their money. But this is exactly the situation baseball found itself in in the late 1990s. Something eventually will need to give.

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2023, 11:05:55 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't follow cycling at all so I'm not well-versed in the Lance drama. I didn't care then and I absolutely don't care now.

To me, and this is completely my opinion, the tenor that the Lebron criticism has always taken on or the - "bias" against him - has nothing to do with him as a basketball player. No one is accusing Jokic or Doncic of using PEDs.

To go further: I've worked in physical therapy and sports medicine for 13+ years now. There's a player that gets my Spidey-senses going and it's not Lebron. I'm not saying he's absolutely clean because at the end of the day, I don't know. But there are guys playing through blatant side effects right now that fans aren't even clocking because they're hyper focused on Lebron.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2023, 11:17:30 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618

To go further: I've worked in physical therapy and sports medicine for 13+ years now. There's a player that gets my Spidey-senses going and it's not Lebron. I'm not saying he's absolutely clean because at the end of the day, I don't know. But there are guys playing through blatant side effects right now that fans aren't even clocking because they're hyper focused on Lebron.
I'm interested....don't think you need to protect anyone....we all get its just suspicion...who ya think?

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2023, 08:17:15 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This has been suspected for years, and I believe it.

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2023, 03:19:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
So some cheating is ok, but not all cheating.  Got it.

I'm no proponent of cheating, but I do think this conversation begs the question, "What constitutes cheating?" Kind of a philosophical question, and in no way am I trying to be a smart-aleck, but in a discussion of "substances a person takes in to improve their physical and/or mental performance," is caffeine a performance-enhancing drug? I'm not a coffee drinker, but I know of plenty of people who just can't fully wake up or get going without coffee, so that is something from outside themselves that they are taking in order to feel better/enhance their performance. It's not adding muscle, but if it increases alertness, mental acuity, and/or physical reflexes, that seems to me like a "performance-enhancing drug."

Caffeine may be a PED, but it’s not illegal.  Speed is.  Adderall is.  Steroids, HGH, certain drugs and supplements that affect blood, oxygen, etc. all are.

Some of the distinctions are arbitrary, other than the legal / illegal line.  To me, if a drug can be used under a physician’s care to heal and recover, that’s medicine.

Oh, for sure there's the question of legality. And I have no problem with things that have healing properties. I was just throwing a philosophical question out there.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2023, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Steroids are banned by sports but certainly are not illegal, in fact I suspect pretty much everyone has taken steroids in their life. 

And steroids were not even banned by baseball until they started testing for them in the 2000's.  They weren't banned by the NBA until 1999.  So guys in the 80's and 90"s could basically use them at will.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2023, 10:38:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I’m really astonished by people who do t care at all about PEDs in basketball. The problem for me is that who the best players are or which is the best team is potentially determined by who has the best doctors. That’s not the kind of competitive sport I enjoy.

There’s plenty of people who have gone into detail on this, but the NBA’s testing program is a joke. It can be beaten easily. That means we just don’t know for sure who the egregious users are.

If one assumes that PED use exists in the NBA, I don’t know how you can not suspect Lebron. He looks like he has facial acromegaly. He’s somehow more muscular than ever at age 38, even though testosterone levels start declining in one’s mid 20s. Folks, he is almost 40 and is on pace for the highest points per 36 minutes of his career.

We all turn a blind eye to this because we like the oohs and aahs, and the NBA and the team owners like their money. But this is exactly the situation baseball found itself in in the late 1990s. Something eventually will need to give.

Nice post. Tommy point.

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2023, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

No need to hedge your comment with “relatively good”. He has been an unbelievable league representative. Those that disagree have hate in their hearts.

This is a little over the top my friend. There are a lot of great things about Lebron with his I promise school being at the top of the list. And he certainly has never committed any crime or been involved in anything remotely illegal (which sadly is not something we can say about all athletes or celebrities). However we don’t have to act like the guy is flawless. His comments on China were pretty ignorant and self serving in my opinion. He also has done some regrettable things around race on social media with the most famous being posting a picture of a cop that saved a woman’s life with “you’re next” to his millions of followers. As for the point of steroids with him? I don’t really care at this point. I’m not sure how much they even help. He is constantly injured at this point so they aren’t making him into a super hero. And whatever he is doing there are probably a lot of other players doing the same thing.