Author Topic: REFS!  (Read 15469 times)

Re: REFS!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 12:57:03 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 169
We can complain.   The players can complain.   The coaches can complain.

None of it matters if the league is getting games called the way they want it.
THIS.
Pure basketball and the integrity of the game are not priorities for the NBA but making money is. If the players stopped all complaining, it would not change much. The league has a significant financial stake in certain players who normies know and like succeeding and/or fans coming to a home game and leaving happy and impulse buying shirts. Read Donaghy's book and tell me that what he says is not plausible or not probable. I don't know if the league directly affects who wins the title, but they uphold narratives that impact profit.
Remember the Nets series last year? Kevin Durant was shut down for 3 straight games. The narrative that "you can't stop a superstar forever" was in danger. So the NBA sent Scott "the Fixer" Fostet, friend of Tim Donaghy, to make sure Durant at least came out with his reputation intact. You couldn't breathe on him that game and his main defender Tatum picked up 5 fouls. And then Foster tried saving the reputation of the Nets by fouling Tatum out on a bogus call in crunchtime. The refs didn't or couldn't stop the Celtics from getting the sweep, but they surely tried to save narratives and only managed to protect KD.

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I would never bet on basketball.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 01:58:46 PM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Feels like a lot of players are openly calling out the refs nowadays even at risk of getting fined. I love it!

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 02:01:12 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Feels like a lot of players are openly calling out the refs nowadays even at risk of getting fined. I love it!

Players can be fined or suspended but refs are immune to any kind of repercussions. 

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 02:12:09 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Players can be fined or suspended but refs are immune to any kind of repercussions.

Yeah that's what I find BS. Remember that tweet the Refs twitter account sent out saying they'd have "sleepless nights" after that missed call on Lebron.

PUH-LEASE  ::) ::) ::)

I'm sure all the refs were just gathered around the computer laughing after hitting send on that tweet
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2023, 03:23:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Yeah that's what I find BS. Remember that tweet the Refs twitter account sent out saying they'd have "sleepless nights" after that missed call on Lebron.

PUH-LEASE  ::) ::) ::)

I'm sure all the refs were just gathered around the computer laughing after hitting send on that tweet

That was too funny.

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2023, 04:35:00 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2023, 05:58:53 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2023, 07:34:37 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
When it comes to refs it would be interesting to look at the feeder system.  What is the path for an NBA ref?  (or even a college ref?)

Perhaps some of the factors that go into someone wanting to be a ref, should be a reason to eliminate them.

If you did a deep psychological test on all NBA referees would you find a high incidence of narcissism?  Do they want to be the show?  I know someone who has worked with "TV" Teddy Valentine.  He loves Teddy, but said it's absolutely true that he thinks fans come to the games partly to see him ref.

What if the psychological qualities that would make the best referees (perhaps one of those qualities is someone who doesn't even like basketball) could be pinpointed?

And then you could do a job search for just those types of people, and train them to be a referee.  Would that make a difference?

If you found someone who...

Didn't give a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. what fans think about them
Don't get emotional when being yelled at
Can hyperfocus even in loud/crazy environments
Have great vision
Are super smart and quick with rules
Able to handle coaches/players by diffusing situations

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2023, 06:02:26 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
NBA could borrow a page from the Southland Conference when it comes to accountability of officials.

Backstory.

https://deadspin.com/college-umpire-suspended-indefinitely-for-terrible-call-1850217321?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=dlvrit&utm_content=deadspin

Looking at what he did it was pretty open and shut that he was just trying to get back at the player. First he called a strike that was a few inches off the ground, then when the player complained, instead of ignoring him or ejecting Mims on balls and strikes, he decided to punch him out on a ball that was like a foot off the plate and six inches off the ground  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2023, 06:03:40 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
When it comes to refs it would be interesting to look at the feeder system.  What is the path for an NBA ref?  (or even a college ref?)

Perhaps some of the factors that go into someone wanting to be a ref, should be a reason to eliminate them.

If you did a deep psychological test on all NBA referees would you find a high incidence of narcissism?  Do they want to be the show?  I know someone who has worked with "TV" Teddy Valentine.  He loves Teddy, but said it's absolutely true that he thinks fans come to the games partly to see him ref.

What if the psychological qualities that would make the best referees (perhaps one of those qualities is someone who doesn't even like basketball) could be pinpointed?

And then you could do a job search for just those types of people, and train them to be a referee.  Would that make a difference?

If you found someone who...

Didn't give a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. what fans think about them
Don't get emotional when being yelled at
Can hyperfocus even in loud/crazy environments
Have great vision
Are super smart and quick with rules
Able to handle coaches/players by diffusing situations

I'm guessing trying to find those people is easier said than done. In any sport, not just basketball. You should probably also add "want to do the job" which I'm sure most people don't. :angel:

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2023, 06:08:22 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
Maybe it's time to have a permanent video ref if the quality of refs is indeed going down. Maybe there's just too much for the 3 on the court to keep track of. Have a fourth guy watching the game with overall authority and stop the game each time they see something the 3 refs on the court missed. Surely all the mistakes that fans can see, the video ref would be able to see. Kind of like the VAR they have in soccer but with the authority to stop the game and review calls as needed. It would drive fans crazy with all the stoppages but it would cut down on the mistakes.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2023, 08:40:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Maybe it's time to have a permanent video ref if the quality of refs is indeed going down. Maybe there's just too much for the 3 on the court to keep track of. Have a fourth guy watching the game with overall authority and stop the game each time they see something the 3 refs on the court missed. Surely all the mistakes that fans can see, the video ref would be able to see. Kind of like the VAR they have in soccer but with the authority to stop the game and review calls as needed. It would drive fans crazy with all the stoppages but it would cut down on the mistakes.
I'm all in favor of a 4th ref, but I would imagine the league argument against it is Secaucus, NJ, which is essentially a video ref.

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2023, 01:27:27 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607