• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174

Re: REFS!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 12:31:08 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I understand not wanting to take a fine or getting targeted for retribution by Refs, but it had to be said and most of these guys buy watches that cost more than the fine.

Maybe it will carry more weight coming from a mid-tier guy like Van Vleet instead of a Giannis or Tatum?

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 12:57:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
We can complain.   The players can complain.   The coaches can complain.

None of it matters if the league is getting games called the way they want it.   

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 01:16:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
We can complain.   The players can complain.   The coaches can complain.

None of it matters if the league is getting games called the way they want it.

A lot of people I know only watch game highlights which the reffing doesn't affect. If you just want to watch high level Basketball it's very annoying, to say the least.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Do the referees make bad calls...yes. However, the problem for has to do with the players, and their constant complaining.

Van Fleet mentioned the fans go to the games to see the players. Yes, we want to see them play. However, we don't want to see the players complain to the referees on almost every play. The players are far too entitled and they've become spoiled brats.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2023, 01:34:35 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
The NBA is getting to be like the world wrestling federation. Refs feed into the "star" mentality. Players like Giannis can plow through anyone and get called for a charge one out of 5 times, and never fouls out.
I think the players association should go on strike and demand the referees work for the players association instead of for the league. The goals of referring should be in order:
1. Prevent injuries.
2. Consistency.
3. Treat every player the same as far as calling fouls.
4. Limit as much as possible situations where the offensive player initiates the contact to ensure getting foul shots.
5. Limit as much as possible the statistical advantage of fouling over playing defense. For instance, if a player has an easy layup, basically 100% chance of making the shot, it is statistically advantageous to just foul that player because no one shoots 100% on their free throws. I would consider going so far as to always give the team fouled the choice of one shot and the ball back or two shots. This has worked with the take fouls on fast breaks this season.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2023, 02:00:47 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I stopped seeing NBA as a sport and more as entertainment. Just like the WWE the matches are not scripted but the outcomes most certainly are. Especially now that we have legally betting, which I'm 99% confident will lead me away from the product in the future.

I'm just glad my team is one of the top performers and gets lots of the top billings.
ok fine

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 03:20:11 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Look at all the Draftkings commercials or other betting commercials they have not just during breaks, but even in the middle of games. Anyone who thinks that has nothing to do with how the refs call games is a moron. It's obvious.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 03:23:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Can't we get some of those international refs that call the Olympics? They are so much better.

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 591
Until Vegas complains, nothing will change.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2023, 07:06:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Until Vegas complains, nothing will change.

TP

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2023, 07:38:27 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
I wonder what the fallout would be if players all across the league spoke up in agreement with FVV all at once.  Does it push the league to finally address its officiating problem?  Or does it just further damage the already-adversarial relationship between many players and refs?

Poor officiating adversely impacts nearly every NBA game I watch.  I don’t say that as a biased Celtics fan.  I say that as a fan of basketball… albeit an increasingly disillusioned one.  I wish there was a fix for this.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 02:35:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1370
Unfortunately the bottom line of it is it's a supply and demand issue. These refs are the best they have. If we had better ones they'd be reffing. I'm sure it's a struggle to attract people to the profession so we get these kinds of refs. I'm sure the ones they have waiting in the wings or reffing the G-league are even worse.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 03:16:16 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Officiating is a very tough job. Hate it but it's the sad reality fans gotta live with.

Celtics get away with calls, and sometimes Celtics get screwed with calls.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith