Author Topic: Who can beat Denver in the West?  (Read 1418 times)

Who can beat Denver in the West?
« on: April 02, 2024, 08:14:54 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's somewhat weird to look at a team that won't win 60 games and that is second in its conference as head-and-shoulders above its competitors, but it seems like everybody has penciled the Nuggets in for the Finals.   But, as defending champions and home to Jokic, who can blame them?

Who has the best shot at knocking them off?  What's the key to doing so?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Who can beat Denver in the West?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 08:26:57 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 654
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Maybe the T Wolves if healthy

Suns seems to have played them well this season but the Suns are so up and down come the playoffs.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 08:42:11 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It's somewhat weird to look at a team that won't win 60 games and that is second in its conference as head-and-shoulders above its competitors, but it seems like everybody has penciled the Nuggets in for the Finals.   But, as defending champions and home to Jokic, who can blame them?

Who has the best shot at knocking them off?  What's the key to doing so?

It reminds me of the Cavs during Lebron's second stint. Having the best player in the NBA is just a huge advantage.

There's a few Western conference teams that look like they're a year or two away from threatening Denver (OKC/Minnesota) and a couple of older teams that are on the downside but would otherwise be threats (Golden State, the Clippers, the Lakers), but no one that I think has any real shot against Denver this year.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 09:31:01 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Teams have up and down periods in the regular season.  Injuries, schedule, general mojo, all these things seem to impact teams.  DEN is no exception to this but I feel they are clearly the best team in the West, the favorite to reach the finals.  They need to have Murray healthy though, of course, he seems to be the one with the most durability risk.

It doesn't mean they won't get beat though.  There are other good teams.  If DEN is even a little off, for whatever reason, they can be beat.  Look what happened to BOS vs MIA last season.  BOS was a little off, MIA had scrubs play out of their minds, and poof, there goes the playoff run.  There are a few teams that could get hot for a few games and take out DEN.  I would say LAC, OKC, PHO, all have the top end personnel and depth to be spoilers.

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 09:41:35 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
I would say Dallas. Their defense has improved since they made that Grant Williams trade. If you are going to beat Denver, you are going to have to outscore them because Jokic will pick you apart otherwise. Throw in a guy like Lively who is an excellent rim runner and you would have a chance on both sides of the ball. Maybe get the series to 7 and steal it. With that said I think the only team that can beat them are the C’s and even that will be a tough task.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 10:05:53 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
It's the regular season, so grain of salt and all, but these are the teams Denver has a losing record against this year:

vs Houston 1-3 (Murray missed 2 losses and 1 win, Jokic played all games)
vs Minnesota 1-2 (Murray missed 1 loss, Jokic played all games)
vs Orlando 0-2 (Murray missed 1 loss, Jokic played all games)
vs OKC 1-3 (Murray played all games, Jokic missed 1 loss)
vs Phoenix 1-2 (Murray missed 1 loss and 1 win, Jokic played all games)
vs Sacramento 1-3 (Murray missed 2 losses, Jokic played all games)

So not fully healthy for a lot of it, but still I'm sure those teams think they have more than a puncher's chance.  And as it stands now, Denver would very likely face one of those teams in each round till the Finals (PHX or SAC in Round 1, MIN in Round 2, OKC in WCF).

When both Jokic and Murray play though, the Nuggets record is 40-13 for a 62 win pace.  Makes them look more like the title favorite they are.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2024, 10:17:16 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 10:30:46 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I agree it is Dallas.  Luka has played very well against them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2024, 10:45:39 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Minnesota or Dallas. But Minnesota does need KAT to return, so ideally for them it'd have to be a WCF matchup, which it probably will be anyways
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2024, 11:00:36 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I think the Suns or Wolves have the best chance of the group.

The Suns just matchup well against Denver and have the potential to outscore them, and they don’t have the perimeter defense to limit the Suns all that much. That said, injuries and shot-making variance are the biggest obstacles for them to beat Denver.

As for Minny, they have the size and defense to make things difficult for Denver, and they’ve played them fairly well. But inexperience and their limited offense - especially down the stretch - are their biggest obstacles. They have to have KAT back and healthy, too.

LAC has a puncher’s shot, but I think they’re too old and inconsistent to truly challenge them. Think OKC also has a puncher’s shot, but I doubt they can win the series given their lack of size and inexperience.

Not as high on Dallas others. They might take a few games, but I don’t expect them to seriously challenge Denver.

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2024, 11:20:25 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!
Phoenix wouldn’t make enough threes to beat Denver. They rely too much on the mid range game to win games. Their defense is all over the place as well and I don’t trust best players overall. Just not a well built team. You gotta beat Denver with math and hope you don’t go cold for 4 games. Then it will still come down to one or two games in the 4th to close it out. That’s where a team like Dallas could get them with Luka and Kyrie.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2024, 04:40:26 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Healthy Clippers without the choking could give them fits

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2024, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Bron and Lakers rolling bruh

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2024, 09:40:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Healthy Clippers without choking would be a dynasty lol. That's why they never win. The choking. And injuries but they sort of go hand-in-hand for them as well.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2024, 09:45:06 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • GOT IT!!!

Healthy Clippers without choking would be a dynasty lol. That's why they never win. The choking. And injuries but they sort of go hand-in-hand for them as well.

Kawhi already having knee issues. It’s a pipe dream to think he’ll ever be healthy during a playoff grind.