Author Topic: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!  (Read 13814 times)

Re: Celtics out of gas but still no 15th man!
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2023, 02:58:02 PM »

Offline carlucho

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
No 14 and 15 men.

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2023, 03:13:13 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The only argument I can think of for leaving that spot open is cheapness. We don't win our 2008 championship without PJ Brown.

There is not PJ Brown available.
Carmelo might fit that description at this point.

I have no interest in Melo. I believe he would cause more problems than he would solve with his ego, bad defense & shot-happy ways. He is not what this team needs.

Ego explanation = Would Melo be happy playing like B Griffin where he doesn't play most of the time and gets the odd game when the team needs him? Melo was happy in a regular bench role which he wasn't a few years ago but I do not know how well he'd handle another demotion to not playing most of the time.
Why would Melo be in the Griffin role.  There is clearly room for a guy to play in the 3 or 4 role on this team.

Melo is not as good as Grant Williams. I would play Hauser and Muscala ahead of Melo as well.
Grant is obviously a better defender than Melo, but there are times that Grant just disappears and fades away and doesn't trust his ability.  There are games I'd play the Melo of last year over Grant.  I have no idea of the Melo of last year still actually exists as a player, but he seemed to embrace his role coming off the bench in Portland and LA the last two seasons, and he played pretty well.  A guy like that has a role on this team, and I'd absolutely play Melo over Hauser and Muscala.  No question about it.  He is a better player (again assuming he is basically who he was the last 2 seasons).  Hauser got brutalized yesterday.  -16 in 20 minutes.  just 1 of 4, did manage 3 assists and 3 rebounds in the 20 minutes, but he is a poor defender.  If he isn't hitting his shot, you can't play Hauser, there is just no one else who can play in that role on this team.  Melo could. 

I have no idea if Melo even wants to play (I don't think his name has come up at all), but I do think he if he did, he could help Boston on a regular basis.  The man knows how to score and Boston quite simply needs that some time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2023, 03:15:42 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I have no idea if Melo even wants to play (I don't think his name has come up at all), but I do think he if he did, he could help Boston on a regular basis.  The man knows how to score and Boston quite simply needs that some time.

I have seen quotes from Melo wanting to return at least in the summer and earlier in the season. He just didn't get any offers.

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2023, 03:48:20 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Denver has 15

Cavs have 15

Dallas has 15

Bucks have 15

Clips have 15

Heat have 15

Grizz have 15

Suns have 15

76ers have 15

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2023, 04:49:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Gimme Serge Ibaka and/or Carmelo Anthony.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2023, 06:21:40 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
It’s really a curious time. The team is banged up and we desperately need an extra body, and yet we haven’t signed a 15th man. What gives? Are we waiting for someone from overseas? We need a big badly more than a wing at this point. What is Brad waiting for?

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2023, 06:42:53 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
It’s really a curious time. The team is banged up and we desperately need an extra body, and yet we haven’t signed a 15th man. What gives? Are we waiting for someone from overseas? We need a big badly more than a wing at this point. What is Brad waiting for?

Luka in Maine.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2023, 06:45:19 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Luka in Maine.

I'd take him.

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 06:45:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

It's very strange indeed.

« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2023, 08:37:54 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
I'm guessing at this point that we save a couple of bucks and never fill that spot even though we have 3 injured starters...

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2023, 08:43:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm guessing at this point that we save a couple of bucks and never fill that spot even though we have 3 injured starters...

Last day of the regular season they'll sign somebody to a two-year, non-guaranteed deal.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Last day of the regular season they'll sign somebody to a two-year, non-guaranteed deal.

Meanwhile, Jaylen is playing 45 minutes in back to back losses with a fractured cheek.

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2023, 08:59:09 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I just don't see how signing Derrick Favors to a 10 day contract is going to help anything.  Miami was in desperate need of big depth, far worse than us, and Favors didn't even get off their bench.

I do think we need to sign someone (really the 14th person with Gallinari the 15th and out), but last week I would have said we needed a wing.  Now with Rob Williams not playing, maybe the need is a big.  I think this is why they are waiting.  The need can change.

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2023, 09:00:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just don't see how signing Derrick Favors to a 10 day contract is going to help anything.  Miami was in desperate need of big depth, far worse than us, and Favors didn't even get off their bench.

I do think we need to sign someone (really the 14th person with Gallinari the 15th and out), but last week I would have said we needed a wing.  Now with Rob Williams not playing, maybe the need is a big.  I think this is why they are waiting.  The need can change.

Isn't that why there are 10-day contracts?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2023, 09:45:44 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431

Isn't that why there are 10-day contracts?

I have no idea why they aren’t trying players out with 10 day contracts. Especially Stanley Johnson and Serge Ibaka. Those guys could actually help and they don’t have baggage as far as I know unlike Howard, Whiteside, Cousins. If it’s for financial reasons, that’s some serious penny pinching by ownership.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.