Author Topic: Time To Panic? I Think So  (Read 24590 times)

Re: Time To Panic? I Think So
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2023, 09:26:40 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
If Brogdon or Rob played today, C’s win. Team can’t catch a break with the injuries this year. That’s the biggest problem.

Yes and no.  The Knicks were playing without arguably their best player.

I think Randle is better, but Brunson is certainly no slouch. Apparently Quickley isn’t either. The C’s were not dealing with this many injuries last year. It’s been ridiculous this season.

The starting 5 has only played 10 games together this year.

Yep. That’s a problem.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2023, 09:32:57 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
The amount of fanfiction in this thread could rival Tumblr.

At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Was Ime excellent? No. But I am not sure what coaching strategy causes the players to suddenly not turn the ball over or miss wide open threes or miss free throws or miss bunny layups in the paint or miss defensive assignments or causes the bench to not show up. That's on the players

Just change “Ime” to “Joe” and that quote certainly still holds true. There were 47 pages on that thread calling for Udoka to be fired and the team ended up making it to the Finals. Reading through some of the posts… It’s like they were written yesterday.

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2023, 09:33:55 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If Brogdon or Rob played today, C’s win. Team can’t catch a break with the injuries this year. That’s the biggest problem.

Yes and no.  The Knicks were playing without arguably their best player.

I think Randle is better, but Brunson is certainly no slouch. Apparently Quickley isn’t either. The C’s were not dealing with this many injuries last year. It’s been ridiculous this season.

The starting 5 has only played 10 games together this year.

Yep. That’s a problem.

It'll probably stay 10 games for a while as Timelord is hurt and out for a bit (again...)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2023, 09:35:09 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

Was Ime excellent? No. But I am not sure what coaching strategy causes the players to suddenly not turn the ball over or miss wide open threes or miss free throws or miss bunny layups in the paint or miss defensive assignments or causes the bench to not show up. That's on the players

Just change “Ime” to “Joe” and that quote certainly still holds true. There were 47 pages on that thread calling for Udoka to be fired and the team ended up making it to the Finals. Reading through some of the posts… It’s like they were written yesterday.

Right? I'm not saying Mazulla is the greatest coach to ever step on the hardwood, but that the flow of the season tends to feel fairly similar, especially when the team isn't playing well.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2023, 09:36:39 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Knicks didn’t have Brunson & still lost..needed to get a legit center at deadline or beginning of season and didn’t..that will cost us a championship..TimeLord can’t be depended on
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

to a point, that's true.  however, Joe's offensive philosophy is to chuck as many 3's as possible even when the team is ice cold from outside.  Ime had them taking 3's but not to this extent.  Also, Ime showed he could implement an excellent defensive scheme to get them to the finals.  Our defense this year has not been nearly as effective.  injuries or not, we still missed people last year but managed to play very solid defense.  not so this year.

also, Ime had the team coming together going down the stretch of the season and into the playoffs.  this year, Joe had them out of the gate doing well when they were hitting shots at a ridiculous clip but they're are fading down the stretch and any game where they aren't making a high percentage of their 3's is coming up as a loss or barely-a-win.

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2023, 09:51:39 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Right? I'm not saying Mazulla is the greatest coach to ever step on the hardwood, but that the flow of the season tends to feel fairly similar, especially when the team isn't playing well.

Completely agree. It feels very similar. December 7th 2022, the C’s were 21-5. So did Joe just forget how to coach in the new year? Has he been perfect, certainly not, but at the end of the day, the players are the ones on the court deciding games.

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2023, 09:59:00 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What do you mean by "flow of the season", in this context?  To me, the overall flow of last year's season is essentially the inverse of this year's.  I'll always take "start slow, finish strong" over the opposite.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 10:33:20 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
The starters not playing together is a worn out excuse. This team is deep enough that is should be able to weather these storms.

We have JB and JT, that alone should be able to carry you most nights when you're missing a guy or 2.

Either they're not as good as we all like to believe(this is not a statement of my belief) or there are some deeper problems.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 10:40:22 AM »

Online Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar

What do you mean by "flow of the season", in this context?  To me, the overall flow of last year's season is essentially the inverse of this year's.  I'll always take "start slow, finish strong" over the opposite.

Ah sorry missing a word there, should be flow chart of the season. As in:

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2023, 10:40:59 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I will say that last night's loss is not as devastating to me as it may be to others here. Leon Rose has turned the Knicks around. Management wise, they know what they're doing for the first time in literally decades.

They're a much deeper team than it's been in the past and they've bought into what Thibs is selling. And they have something to prove so they're playing hard every night at both ends of the floor.

Granted Brunson was out last night, but Quickley went for 38 and played out of his mind to more than make up for no Brunson. And the C's didn't have Brogdon or Rob.

They ran out of gas in the 2nd OT - you could tell from they way they were missing shots. Of course you can point to the coach as being a big reason for that, but my point is don't sell the Knicks short.  They've won 9 in a row.

The loss you worry about is the Brooklyn one. That was terrible.

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2023, 11:01:50 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I will say that last night's loss is not as devastating to me as it may be to others here. Leon Rose has turned the Knicks around. Management wise, they know what they're doing for the first time in literally decades.

They're a much deeper team than it's been in the past and they've bought into what Thibs is selling. And they have something to prove so they're playing hard every night at both ends of the floor.

Granted Brunson was out last night, but Quickley went for 38 and played out of his mind to more than make up for no Brunson. And the C's didn't have Brogdon or Rob.

They ran out of gas in the 2nd OT - you could tell from they way they were missing shots. Of course you can point to the coach as being a big reason for that, but my point is don't sell the Knicks short.  They've won 9 in a row.

Agreed overall.  The Knicks are playing well.  I think the issues from last night are mostly coaching related, particularly regarding the refusal to play the bottom quarter of the roster in a double-OT game and some further poor usage of TOs.  For the most part the team stayed focused, except perhaps in the third quarter.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 11:08:39 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Quote from: Al Horford
"And throughout the season, you’re gonna have adversity. We’ve played pretty good basketball most of the year, and this is a time where you tighten up, you fix some of these things, some of these issues, or it goes the other way."

I think Al is right on here, and his worldview bridges the "panic" vs. "nothing to see here, it's a long season" groups. 

Basically, the team has played well overall, and is in good position.  However, there are real problems that need fixing.  If those issues aren't fixed, it's possible for the season to "go the other way", leaving the Celts well short of their goals.

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 11:08:54 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

TP. I agree. The BKN loss was 10x worse. A "scheduled win" suddenly became a horrific chokejob. Even if we won that game + lost last night, we're only 1 back of MIL but the vibes are better. We'd still worry about how we look when facing the Knicks, but the Knicks aren't some mediocre team, they are ramping up. And the game went 2 OT, hard fought.

There's only 17 games to go. Not enough time for "experimentation" or "scheduled losses" although tonight might be one sadly. I can't wait to see the injury report for tonight.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 11:10:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Quote from: Al Horford
"And throughout the season, you’re gonna have adversity. We’ve played pretty good basketball most of the year, and this is a time where you tighten up, you fix some of these things, some of these issues, or it goes the other way."

I think Al is right on here, and his worldview bridges the "panic" vs. "nothing to see here, it's a long season" groups. 

Basically, the team has played well overall, and is in good position.  However, there are real problems that need fixing.  If those issues aren't fixed, it's possible for the season to "go the other way", leaving the Celts well short of their goals.

I can certainly agree to that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D