Author Topic: Time To Panic? I Think So  (Read 25124 times)

Re: Time To Panic? I Think So
« Reply #345 on: April 26, 2023, 01:47:40 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
if it goes to 7...smh. and if we come out flat in game 6. these guys dont want it. As a fan I feel like why should i care more than you, I am not the one getting paid millions of dollars. Hello Tatum

If this goes 7 I'm not making it to Saturday night lol

But it'd be embarrassing if this went 7. It already feels like an L that this is going 6

I prob won't even watch. Maybe until the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter if the C's are up by 20. Idk if I should turn it on if it's 2 minute warning and the game is like a 3 or 4-point difference because it should never come down to this with the talent they have.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #346 on: April 26, 2023, 01:59:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
if it goes to 7...smh. and if we come out flat in game 6. these guys dont want it. As a fan I feel like why should i care more than you, I am not the one getting paid millions of dollars. Hello Tatum

But it'd be embarrassing if this went 7. It already feels like an L that this is going 6

I prob won't even watch. Maybe until the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter if the C's are up by 20. Idk if I should turn it on if it's 2 minute warning and the game is like a 3 or 4-point difference because it should never come down to this with the talent they have.

It's my sister's birthday tomorrow so I'm going to be out anyways. Will just follow on this GDT and Reddit lol

It's weird. When I was a kid I'd watch sports with zero worries even if we were losing, or on the road in a hostile environment, etc. This included those years in the late 2000s/early 2010s when we went up against the great Cavs, Heat, Lakers, etc. Now that stuff terrifies me haha where I get anxiety especially when it's a road game, or if it's a super close game
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #347 on: April 26, 2023, 02:19:09 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Unfortunately the late start tomorrow will cause me to miss a lot of the game. But I am kind of resigned that its going 7

« Reply #348 on: April 26, 2023, 02:27:51 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 249
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Unfortunately the late start tomorrow will cause me to miss a lot of the game. But I am kind of resigned that its going 7

Honestly at this point nothing will Suprise me. 

« Reply #349 on: April 26, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002

It's my sister's birthday tomorrow so I'm going to be out anyways. Will just follow on this GDT and Reddit lol

It's weird. When I was a kid I'd watch sports with zero worries even if we were losing, or on the road in a hostile environment, etc. This included those years in the late 2000s/early 2010s when we went up against the great Cavs, Heat, Lakers, etc. Now that stuff terrifies me haha where I get anxiety especially when it's a road game, or if it's a super close game

I'd enjoyed losing if it's a hard-fought game and you know your opponent is of equal level as you. But if this is a subpar opponent at your house without their best player and you just play down to the competition and do stupid things to lose then it's frustrating. Esp playoff games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #350 on: April 26, 2023, 05:43:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
when in trouble or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

the celtics will win this series and move closer to the finals.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #351 on: April 26, 2023, 06:28:40 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

That used to happen to me but it was the opposite...when I was younger I would stress over losses, replay them in my head after, argue with people online about how bad the team was and how they were hopeless. But somehow in the last 10 years or so I've gotten to the point where I'm more fatalistic about things - I'm more interested in knowing why they lost, and trying to understand what moments in the game caused them to lose, than I am about the loss itself. Was it because they weren't good enough, was it because the other team played better, did it come down to some key plays, was it technical or mental? Losses are always upsetting but with this team in particular it's been clear to me for a while that our gun players have some flaws - in JB's case he sometimes seems disconnected, with Tatum he lacks a killer instinct, with Smartacus he thinks he's better than he is and goes for high risk high reward plays that only succeed 20% of the time. As for our coach he's a rookie, he's got a lot of learning to do, unfortunately we don't have the luxury to let him learn on the job. So I guess I've baked it into my calculus that they will do some bonehead things to make things harder for themselves. It happens so often that I can't really get frustrated about it anymore. I refuse to let their poor performances ruin my day  :police:

Part of the thing with me is I'm interested to see if our team can overcome its flaws and bring home a championship. I still think they've as good a chance as any in the NBA to do that. There's no clear frontrunning team. The Bucks are down 3-1, the Cavs are the same, Philly swept their series but we seem to match up really well against them. Nobody in the West really scares me. Our issues are all mental - lack of a killer instinct, bad decisions under pressure. Will they rise above those mental issues that have been plaguing them and setting them back? Or will they succumb to them? It's like a Shakespearean drama...let's hope it doesn't turn into a Greek tragedy  :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 06:34:18 PM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #352 on: April 26, 2023, 06:32:39 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
On another (more amusing) note, imagine if the Celtics did what Tottenham Hotspurs Premier League soccer team did after they were thrashed by Newcastle 6-1 last week. The Spurs players decided to reimburse the ticket costs of supporters who travelled to watch them get thrashed at Newcastle.

Tottenham’s players will refund the tickets of supporters who travelled to watch their chastening 6-1 defeat at Newcastle on Sunday, which plumbed fresh depths during a turbulent season for the club.

A defensive capitulation at St James’ Park helped the hosts go 5-0 up within 21 minutes and, although Harry Kane scored a consolation goal in the second half, Callum Wilson added Newcastle’s sixth to paint a realistic picture of their supremacy. The embarrassment led Spurs to sack Cristian Stellini, their caretaker manager, the following day with prospects of a top-four finish appearing distinctly remote. Third-placed Newcastle, six points ahead having played a game less, are one of the teams they need to hunt down but there was a chasm between the sides.

“As a squad, we understand your frustration, your anger,” a statement from the players to the supporters read. “It wasn’t good enough. We know words aren’t enough in situations like this but believe us, a defeat like this hurts.

“We appreciate your support, home and away, and with this in mind we would like to reimburse fans with the cost of their match tickets from St James’ Park. We know this does not change what happened on Sunday and we will give everything to put things right against Manchester United on Thursday evening when, again, your support will mean everything to us. Together – and only together – can we move things forward.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/apr/25/spurs-to-refund-fans-who-attended-newcastle-thrashing

At least they're showing some accountability  :angel:

« Reply #353 on: April 26, 2023, 06:40:13 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Nope, unless you are a Bucks fan.  :laugh:

Things could certainly be worse…

Why do you keep trying to justify what the Celtics just did by what’s happening in the bucks series?

Bucks in 7.
Celtics in 7.
Long term Celtics have no chance

I heard this same argument several times last year after disappointing losses.  And yet ultimately they made it to the Finals.

This is a horribly annoying loss. But as long as they advance they can keep advancing…

And those series going too long affected their finals performance. Great if they make it, but are we going to see a deleted tatum again?
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2023, 07:11:31 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I’m still not past last night. So disappointed.

« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2023, 07:21:49 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I’m still not past last night. So disappointed.

I suppose if there's a silver lining it's that this latest meltdown shouldn't be fatal...at least it happened when we were 3-1 up against a lesser team. Imagine if it happened in a game 7 that we had to win  :-\

But I think most of us are not as upset at the meltdown itself as in what it tells us about our team - that maybe they don't have that killer instinct, that mental fortitude to win it all. Scal was talking on Early Edition on NBC Sports Boston about how he has been around superstar players his whole life, and he can't understand why this team took their foot off the gas with 6 min to go when the opponent was there to be knocked out. He said that players like KG, PP, Jordan, Kobe...these are the moments they live for. They grow in those moments and play their best basketball. Look how Trae ended up playing those last 6, he made some huge shots, he looked confident and composed, like he wanted to be there.  guess he's been knocked his whole life that he sees those moments as his time to shine. Our guys shrank. We ended up playing our worst when the pressure was on to win, 6 min to go. Or rather we stopped playing and tried to run the clock down, just wanting the game to end.  Or made rash decisions when composure was needed. And worst of all it's not the first time. So we can't even say it's a one-off.

Are these flaws big enough to prevent us from a championship? Time will tell. As annoying as the loss is, I'll still tune in hoping they can get a in in Game 6 though. Tragic I know  :police:

« Reply #356 on: April 26, 2023, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
The good news is this Hawks team isn't good enough to win 3 straight vs the C's. They are due for a clunker when nothing goes in. But Joe certainly didn't help last night by at least attempting to force someone other than Young to beat him.

And you now lose the chance to rest Rob - and Al for that matter who will be needed vs Phil.

We never know. The C's is also good enough to lose 3 straight as demonstrated in the regular season. Tatum ISOs, chucking 3's, Smart and JB turnovers. The first five games of this series haven't changed my view on them on whether they really matured or flipped the switch. C's should've buried them by 30+ in Games 1 and 2 but almost let it slipped away. Game 5 they just let it slipped. The loss of Ime hurts here.
I agree with you re Ime. I'm not one for blaming the coach for a single game but Joe sucked last night.

« Reply #357 on: April 26, 2023, 08:34:24 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I’m sure it’s been brought up but really the only difference between last night’s late game debacle and Game 7 v. The Heat last year is that Butler’s shot didn’t fall.  That was last year’s team and that was Ime. 

I don’t like that I’m always on eggshells with a team that should be able to close the door. Has to be somewhat on the coach, but I don’t know where the bulk of the blame should go.  Just hope they win tomorrow.