Author Topic: Is Ja Morant a thug?  (Read 11277 times)

Re: Is Ja Morant a thug?
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2023, 06:52:03 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Adam pacman Jones of the NBA
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2023, 02:20:10 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I think Morant needs to surround himself with better people. Cut loose the ‘entourage’ as it seems they are a bad influence on the young man.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 02:29:13 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2023, 06:15:01 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Didn't something similar happen with Allen Iverson? If I recall correctly a couple of members of his 'posse' were barred from NBA arenas mainly because they were known gangsters.
The difference, perhaps the key difference, is that by all accounts Ja is a middle class dude with a need to prove that he's hard, for whatever reason.

This guy's a gangster? His first name's Jarence...
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2023, 08:01:06 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
Do white people still call black people thugs in 2023? I thought that was a no-no word.

Not trying to start a battle- I just thought it was one of the words we aren’t supposed to use…

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2023, 08:04:04 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Do white people still call black people thugs in 2023? I thought that was a no-no word.

Not trying to start a battle- I just thought it was one of the words we aren’t supposed to use…

Thugs get called thugs.  Race doesn't come into it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2023, 08:06:12 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Ok I’ll defer to your expertise. I remember Obama apologizing for calling Baltimore vandals thugs.

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2023, 08:07:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Ok I’ll defer to your expertise. I remember Obama apologizing for calling Baltimore vandals thugs.

I have no idea about Baltimore vandals.  People who solve problems with violence and guns are thugs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2023, 08:19:15 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

I have no idea about Baltimore vandals.  People who solve problems with violence and guns are thugs.

US military? Russian military?

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2023, 08:24:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Where the heck are you trying to take this thread?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2023, 08:27:53 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Trying to understand what Roy means by thug. He basically defined the military.

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2023, 08:33:57 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Trying to understand what Roy means by thug. He basically defined the military.

No, your head went straight to the military.  I think there is a significant difference between Morant's actions and what is asked of a member of the military.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2023, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
There are absolutely situations where the usage of ‘thug’ can be a dog whistle.

Whether it’s a dog whistle whoever a white person uses the word to talk about a black person is a bit harder to parse.

I wouldn’t use the word, myself, but I do think that Ja Morant is (uncontroversially) acting like a bellend.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #57 on: March 06, 2023, 08:38:52 AM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Whether it’s a dog whistle whoever a white person uses the word to talk about a black person is a bit harder to parse.

I wouldn’t use the word, myself, but I do think that Ja Morant is (uncontroversially) acting like a bellend.

I like bellend. Good word.

« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2023, 06:51:19 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I like bellend. Good word.

Not really.  Do you know what it means?  I think I'd rather be called a thug.

Anyway, Paul Pierce weighed in:

Quote from: Paul Pierce
I don’t care what y’all say about Ja I carried a gun after I was stabbed y’all don’t know what he going thru everyone got something to say until u really know what’s really going on in someone life  when u black and rich u a target period

I think that Paul's opinion disregards a lot of the problem.  Morant doesn't seem to be carrying a gun for protection.  Rather, he and his friends seem to be carrying guns to threaten and intimidate other people, and to show off on social media.

I think carrying guns in public should be illegal, period, but it's not.  So, I understand an argument that rules against carrying on road trips are too restrictive (despite that being the current rule).  But, that's separate and apart from the wisdom of a young man who has had three recent incidents involving assaults, threats, etc., even before the gun video.

« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2023, 07:19:46 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bellend and thug don't really have the same meaning.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip