Author Topic: 2023 MLB Season  (Read 13837 times)

Re: 2023 MLB Season
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2023, 07:40:42 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Teams who had a 5+ day break are combined 4-9 so far with the Astros accounting for 3 of the wins.

Dodgers and orioles were both swept. These gaps can be tough for players who are used to playing daily.

MLB made their bed with this when they expanded the playoffs. 

I'm sure FOX execs are thrilled with possibility of a Rangers-Diamondbacks World Series.    That'll really pull in eyeballs.
Yep. Phillies beat Braves.  Astros are the only higher seed to win.

Of all the higher seeds, the Astros are the one I really wanted to lose. Alas.

I took special delight in seeing them lose to the Rangers
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2023, 07:44:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pre-season, Texas was 50:1 to win the WS, and Arizona was 125:1.

Somebody is going to get paid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2023, 08:22:56 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
The FOX execs have to be thrilled at Diamondbacks/Rangers....

::) 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2023, 08:40:02 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Teams who had a 5+ day break are combined 4-9 so far with the Astros accounting for 3 of the wins.

Dodgers and orioles were both swept. These gaps can be tough for players who are used to playing daily.

MLB made their bed with this when they expanded the playoffs. 

I'm sure FOX execs are thrilled with possibility of a Rangers-Diamondbacks World Series.    That'll really pull in eyeballs.
Yep. Phillies beat Braves.  Astros are the only higher seed to win.

Of all the higher seeds, the Astros are the one I really wanted to lose. Alas.

I took special delight in seeing them lose to the Rangers

Oh, me too! That was awesome!

I was hoping the Phils would beat the D-backs, but at least I have a clear favorite to pull for in the World Series.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2023, 11:19:32 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
A new champion is crowned as Texas Rangers defeat Arizona Diamondbacks to win first ever World Series title.

Another Texas team wins it.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2023, 11:44:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Happy for Nate Eovaldi!

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2023, 02:46:17 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Happy for Nate Eovaldi!

I still can't believe the Sox didn't resign him. Evo + one other high-level starter would have had this team in contention. Or at the very least they'd have had a puncher's chance.

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2023, 06:07:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
The Rangers were 11-0 on the road in the playoffs. Amazing.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2023, 06:27:56 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Happy for Nate Eovaldi!

I still can't believe the Sox didn't resign him. Evo + one other high-level starter would have had this team in contention. Or at the very least they'd have had a puncher's chance.

Apparently they offered him a contract, which he and his agents rejected, because they wanted to test FA and thought he was worth more, but when that market inflation didn't pan out they came back to the Sox who said sorry we're no longer offering it, even though they hadn't signed anyone to replace him and were well under the tax at that point. Maybe Chaim took exception to being rejected initially  :angel:

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/prospects/red-sox-reportedly-pulled-offer-for-nathan-eovaldi-after-spending-elsewhere-scott7

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2023, 09:58:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Happy for Nate Eovaldi!

Apparently they offered him a contract, which he and his agents rejected, because they wanted to test FA and thought he was worth more, but when that market inflation didn't pan out they came back to the Sox who said sorry we're no longer offering it, even though they hadn't signed anyone to replace him and were well under the tax at that point. Maybe Chaim took exception to being rejected initially  :angel:

https://www.si.com/mlb/red-sox/prospects/red-sox-reportedly-pulled-offer-for-nathan-eovaldi-after-spending-elsewhere-scott7

I guess they had moved on to Corey Kluber.  Nice call by Bloom.  That is the kind of call that gets you fired.  I think you are right that if we had Eovaldi, we probably make the playoffs.

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2023, 10:47:49 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Happy for Nate Eovaldi!

I guess they had moved on to Corey Kluber.  Nice call by Bloom.  That is the kind of call that gets you fired.  I think you are right that if we had Eovaldi, we probably make the playoffs.

What really chaps my *** is that Evo liked it here. He fit here, could handle the pressure, the media.

It's something the analytics nerds like Bloom will never understand. You need those high-character glue guys to win.

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2023, 12:19:09 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I preferred the Rangers to the Diamondbacks anyway, but I was especially hoping for Nate to get another ring. I'm happy for him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2023, 07:19:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Ohtani likes 3 teams:
Texas
Dodgers
Red Sox

Wonder who will get him?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2023, 11:15:03 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Way to start the off-season Red Sox ownership. They trade Verdugo for a bag of balls to the Yankees. Meanwhile, the Yankees just traded for Juan Soto. And if that wasn't enough, the Blue Jays are talking to Ohtani.