Author Topic: How To (Actually) Fix The ASG  (Read 3218 times)

Re: How To (Actually) Fix The ASG
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2023, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow.  Shedding 1.5 million viewers year to year seems pretty large.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2023, 10:41:14 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yeah, its not in a good place.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2023, 11:08:45 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Why not kind of do what hockey does. Maybe do like 4 quarters of 3 vs. 3 basketball (each quarter maybe reduced to 10 minutes), making it feel like a pickup game. But before the game, predetermine the rotations what 3 players play for each team and in what quarter. So every player in theory plays the full quarter, then at the end of it, the next 6 players go in for another quarter of 3 vs. 3 while the players who just played are done for the night.

I think that'd work. I don't think it'd kill guys to play for about 10 minutes knowing that's all they play. It'd also be cool maybe having some of the best clutch closers in the game playing the 4th

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2023, 11:17:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Add Rock and Jock style play.   (for those to young, look up MTV Rock and Jock basketball)

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2023, 11:21:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Isn’t a lot of the decline just the fact that nobody has cable anymore? Everybody I know who watched throughout the weekend just streamed everything. Also, highlights are seemingly more popular than watching games now.

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 11:21:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Yeah, its not in a good place.
I'm really amazed anyone still bothers to watch or even take notice of it at this point. 

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 11:23:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Isn’t a lot of the decline just the fact that nobody has cable anymore? Everybody I know who watched throughout the weekend just streamed everything. Also, highlights are seemingly more popular than watching games now.
explains the bulk of what ESPN posts every day.  you'd think they could produce something other than 'highlight' clips and SAS rants.

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Add Rock and Jock style play.   (for those to young, look up MTV Rock and Jock basketball)

I hear Dan Cortese is available.

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 01:42:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
If they aren't going to do East vs. West, I'd like to see 4 teams of 6 and they play a round robin.  Full court, but 10 minute games (two, 5 minute halves).  Don't need to do things like jump balls, each team just starts a half.   

Top 4 vote getters are the captains, snake draft with the order determined by fan votes. 

Every team would play 3 games and each game you win, the winning team gets 25k a person (or something like that). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 03:10:06 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

This was like 25% drop from last year. Are you proposing that there were 25% more people streaming this year than last year? That clearly doesn’t make any sense.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2023, 04:34:43 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

This was like 25% drop from last year. Are you proposing that there were 25% more people streaming this year than last year? That clearly doesn’t make any sense.

I think it makes sense.

Is 100% of the decline due to a rise in pirated streams and people just watching highlight clips on Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc?  No.

Is a large portion of the decline due to that though?  I think so, especially following the trend of the previous lows being 2021 and 2022.  4 of the 5 lowest rated All-Star games (since 1990) are from the last 5 years.  Hard to find legitimate stats, but I would imagine that correlates with an increase in viewership for pirated streams and clips.

While other things go into it (format, fan interest, quality, players involved, etc.), all things being equal I would think it would be a major factor.  And it's not just the All-Star game, other areas of the NBA plus other sports are all seeing declines (Finals, World Series, Super Bowl, BCS, Final Four championship, etc., all of which have their last 5 years making up the majority of the least watched years over the last 20 or so), which I think help point to the larger trend of declining viewership due to a changing landscape (less TV, easier access to free streams+highlights).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

I think it makes sense.

Is 100% of the decline due to a rise in pirated streams and people just watching highlight clips on Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc?  No.

Is a large portion of the decline due to that though?  I think so, especially following the trend of the previous lows being 2021 and 2022.  4 of the 5 lowest rated All-Star games (since 1990) are from the last 5 years.  Hard to find legitimate stats, but I would imagine that correlates with an increase in viewership for pirated streams and clips.

While other things go into it (format, fan interest, quality, players involved, etc.), all things being equal I would think it would be a major factor.  And it's not just the All-Star game, other areas of the NBA plus other sports are all seeing declines (Finals, World Series, Super Bowl, BCS, Final Four championship, etc., all of which have their last 5 years making up the majority of the least watched years over the last 20 or so), which I think help point to the larger trend of declining viewership due to a changing landscape (less TV, easier access to free streams+highlights).
I no longer have TNT so I can't watch it anymore.  I think that is true of a lot of people.  Put the game on ABC and I can watch it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2023, 04:46:56 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Current NBA TV contract is up after 2024-2025.

I think you'll see some shifting or changing of TV partners. Even read one report that NBC was toying with idea of getting back in.  The dynamics have definitely changed since their last TV deal.  Also, ESPN can no longer goggle up every live TV right that comes up.

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2023, 05:55:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I think it makes sense.

I no longer have TNT so I can't watch it anymore.  I think that is true of a lot of people.  Put the game on ABC and I can watch it.

While I am sorry to hear that you can’t watch the tnt games any more, there was definitely not a 25% or even 5% drop in people with access to TNT in the last year. So this is definitely not why it dropped.

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2023, 07:17:14 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I think it makes sense.

While I am sorry to hear that you can’t watch the tnt games any more, there was definitely not a 25% or even 5% drop in people with access to TNT in the last year. So this is definitely not why it dropped.

I don't think using percentages the way you are is the best way to rationalize it.

Cable subscribers dropped by 4m people last year (according to this source)  NBA All-Star game viewership only dropped by 1.7m.  So that 1.7m drop can easily fit within the 4m with plenty of room to spare.

Did every one of the 1.7m lose access to TNT? I doubt it, but I bet a significant percentage did.  If 20% of people who lost access to TNT would have watched the All-Star game otherwise, that explains away almost half the drop in viewership.

In reality though, there's probably a variety of reasons where the bridge analysis looks something like this:

+100k    new fans to the NBA
-450k   existing NBA fan not interested in format/style of game
-50k    no longer fan of NBA
-800k   no longer has legal access to TNT
+50k    gained legal access to TNT
-175k   prefers to watch just the highlights
-100k   had other commitments (work/school/personal)
-200k   something more entertaining was on
 -75k   favorite player not in it
=-1.7m   total viewership drop

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class