Author Topic: How To (Actually) Fix The ASG  (Read 3194 times)

How To (Actually) Fix The ASG
« on: February 21, 2023, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
This new All-Star Game format seems to have been a band-aid to make the ASG competitive and watchable.

My idea isn’t actually, my idea…it’s the MLB’s.

What I would do is bring back the East vs West structure and the winner gets given home-court advantage for the NBA Finals.

I’d also cap the players minutes evenly so the whole squad gets to contribute and the players don’t get too fatigued for an exhibition game.

One other concept could be that each player selected to the ASG picks their favourite charity and if their conference wins, their charity receives 100K and the losing team receives 50K.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: How To (Actually) Fix The ASG
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 09:51:50 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
No one wants to risk injury. The players, the teams, the league. It’s all about maximizing profits.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 09:57:59 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
This new All-Star Game format seems to have been a band-aid to make the ASG competitive and watchable.

What I would do is bring back the East vs West structure and the winner gets given home-court advantage for the NBA Finals.

I’d also cap the players minutes evenly so the whole squad gets to contribute and the players don’t get too fatigued for an exhibition game.

One other concept could be that each player selected to the ASG picks their favourite charity and if their conference wins, their charity receives 100K and the losing team receives 50K.

It’s supposed to be an exhibition so I didn’t like the MLB idea of having it tied to home field advantage and I don’t like it for the NBA either.  Also, these guys are making $30-$40 million/year.  $50k to charity isn’t getting them to do anything differently.

Defense has never really been played much in the all star game other than maybe the last few minutes of a close game.  It’s just been exacerbated in recent years because players don’t even try to make it look like they’re playing defense.  They’re purposefully getting far out of the way so other guys can do highlight dunks.  I think part of it is that they’re all friendly.  There’s no real rivalry among the players so they’re just taking turns scoring

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 10:18:33 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

It’s supposed to be an exhibition so I didn’t like the MLB idea of having it tied to home field advantage and I don’t like it for the NBA either.  Also, these guys are making $30-$40 million/year.  $50k to charity isn’t getting them to do anything differently.

Defense has never really been played much in the all star game other than maybe the last few minutes of a close game.  It’s just been exacerbated in recent years because players don’t even try to make it look like they’re playing defense.  They’re purposefully getting far out of the way so other guys can do highlight dunks.  I think part of it is that they’re all friendly.  There’s no real rivalry among the players so they’re just taking turns scoring

I’m not singling you out because this is said by everyone and I didn’t really realize the degree of this until I had some old replays of nba all star games on this past week. But we really need to stop saying these games were always like this because it is really objectively false. (Kind of to a pretty
Embarrassing degree) Please watch this https://youtu.be/MB4TOGhOdM0

Also this didn’t end in the 90’s. The games had varying levels of defense and competition fairly consistently until at least 10 years ago. There was a slight rebirth of sorts when they introduced the Elam ending 4 years ago. However the interest in this clearly had kind of worn out by this year. I don’t want guys taking charges necessarily but I think they can do what they would do in a standard nba practice without any risk of injuries and I assure you anyone would get kicked out of any practice for playing defense like they did on Sunday in a scrimmage. Let’s not get ridiculous babying the players.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:34:44 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 10:22:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Do it old school high school basketball style. The players on the losing team all have to run suicides in front of the crowd after the game. The number of suicides depends on the number of points you lose by, multiplied by 5.

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

East vs West is how it should have remained.  as for home court going to the conference that wins the game, hell no.  unlike MLB, everyone plays each other in this league so best record in the regular season should merit something. 

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 10:30:10 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

I’m not singling you out because this is said by everyone and I didn’t really realize the degree of this until I had some old replays of nba all star games on this past week. But we really need to stop saying these games were always like this because it is really objectively false. (Kind of your a pretty

Also this didn’t end in the 90’s. The games had varying levels of defense and competition fairly consistently until at least 10 years ago. There was a slight rebirth of sorts when they introduced the Elam ending 4 years ago. However the interest in this clearly had kind of worn out by this year. I don’t want guys taking charges necessarily but I think they can do what they would do in a standard nba practice without any risk of injuries and I assure you anyone would get kicked out of any practice for playing defense like they did on Sunday in a scrimmage. Let’s not get ridiculous babying the players.

I wasn’t trying to equate this year to those of the past, but even in the 90s when teams were averaging under 100 ppg, they were putting up big numbers in the all star games.  Go look at all the historical scores.  Yes, it’s gotten even more out of hand, but it’s still supposed to be an exhibition, so my original point is that something as important as HCA should not be decided by that

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2023, 10:36:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I’m not singling you out because this is said by everyone and I didn’t really realize the degree of this until I had some old replays of nba all star games on this past week. But we really need to stop saying these games were always like this because it is really objectively false. (Kind of your a pretty

I wasn’t trying to equate this year to those of the past, but even in the 90s when teams were averaging under 100 ppg, they were putting up big numbers in the all star games.  Go look at all the historical scores.  Yes, it’s gotten even more out of hand, but it’s still supposed to be an exhibition, so my original point is that something as important as HCA should not be decided by that

I agree with you there my friend. But it is pretty wild these games have gone from like 230 to 380 in 15 years. It makes things like tatums 55 completely meaningless and it just kind of sad.

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 12:03:09 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
1. Bring back the regulation game format.
2. Keep the new format of the two highest vote getters being captains and picking the teams.
3. This one will hopefully change the players perspective on the game. Bring in a point system where competing in the slam dunk contest, 3 point contest, skills challenge, and being voting into the All Star game count towards making one of the All NBA teams. Being part of the winning all star team and or winning one of the individual competitions generates more points. Being named a starter also gets more points. Make this part of the equation already in place with the voting that has been happening in the past for the All NBA.

Not only will players try to win the game, but it may also bring legitimate stars back into the slam dunk contest. Does anyone really think the players care about all the PR charity idea happening now? However, making one of those 3 All NBA teams can be a game changer come contract time.

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 06:18:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Don't they already get that type money for winning / losing the ASG?

Edit: I found this:

The NBA doubled the prize for All-Star winners in 2018. After initially setting the bar at $50,000 for each winning player in the most recent collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the league reportedly increased the payout to $100,000 for the 2018 All-Star Game in Los Angeles

Since 2018, each player on the winning team will receive $100,000 while the runners up will take home $25,000 a piece

The 2017 CBA, which will be in effect until the 2023-2024 season, declared that “for their participation in an All-Star Game, players on the winning team shall each receive $50,000 and players on the losing team shall each receive $25,000.”

In 2018, the NBA doubled the compensation for the winning team, from $50,000 to $100,000, perhaps to make the game itself more competitive.

NBA All-Star Game 2023Prize Money
Stage   Each Players’ Share
Winner   $125K
Runner Up   $75K

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2023, 08:37:28 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Giving HCA advantage in the Finals to the winner of an exhibition game. 

There's a reason MLB dumped that idea a few years back.

Award it based on merit, not some arbitrary all star game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2023, 08:48:22 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have no idea.  Ultimately, I think that these games are unfixable. 

But, 1) fully insure every player for injury sustained in the game; and 2) create an award for Defensive MVP, with a $2 million bonus attached.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2023, 08:52:56 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

But, 1) fully insure every player for injury sustained in the game; and 2) create an award for Defensive MVP, with a $2 million bonus attached.
Does the game even generate 2 million dollars once all expenses are accounted for? 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2023, 08:58:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Does the game even generate 2 million dollars once all expenses are accounted for?

No idea, but if a league showcase doesn't generate substantially more than $2 million, they should scrap it.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2023, 10:23:43 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Ratings were atrocious

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/02/nba-all-star-ratings-viewership-record-low-tnt/

The NBA All-Star Game was an airball in the ratings, falling to easily its smallest audience on record.

Sunday’s NBA All-Star Game averaged a combined 2.2 rating and 4.59 million viewers across TNT and TBS, making it easily the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the game. The previous lows were a 3.1 (2021 and 2022) and around six million viewers (2021).

Ratings declined 29% and viewership 27% from last year’s All-Star Game (3.1, 6.28M). While All-Star Game viewership has been trending down, this year’s declines are the steepest for the game since 2000 — the first All-Star Game after a one-year hiatus due to the 1998-99 NBA lockout.

It should be noted that this year’s All-Star Game lacked some of the usual stars. Warriors G Stephen Curry missed the game entirely and the leading votegetters in each conference — Lakers F LeBron James and Bucks F Giannis Antetokounmpo — exited early.

The record-low audience places the NBA All-Star Game well behind this year’s “reimagined” Pro Bowl, which drew 6.28 million across ESPN, ABC and DisneyXD. It also ranks further behind the leader in All-Star viewership, the MLB All-Star Game — which last season averaged 7.51 million.

As should surprise no one, the All-Star Game was no match for the Daytona 500 earlier in the day (4.4, 8.17M) — though even at a record-low, it came out ahead of Daytona in adults 18-49 (2.3M to 1.8M).

The primary TNT broadcast averaged a 1.8 and 3.71 million and an “Inside the NBA” simulcast on TBS drew a 0.43 and 877,000.

In other All-Star weekend action, NBA All-Star Saturday Night averaged a 1.6 and 3.42 million on TNT — the lowest rating and viewership for the Saturday night festivities in at least two decades. Ratings and viewership fell sharply from last year (2.0, 4.24M).

Friday’s Rising Stars Challenge also fell to a historic low with a 0.49 and 888,000, down sharply from last year (0.7, 1.23M).

The only event that did not sink double-digits to a historic low was the Celebrity Game on ESPN, which actually increased year-over-year from a 0.7 and 1.29 million to a 0.75 and 1.40 million.

(Nielsen estimates from ShowBuzz Daily 2.22)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team