Author Topic: Westbrook signs with Clippers  (Read 2255 times)

Re: Westbrook signs with Clippers
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2023, 03:44:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yuck. Don’t like that fit at all.

That said, the reports are that he’s agreed to a specific and defined role. Still, lots of question marks about that fit.

They should fine Westbrook in any game he takes more than five non-layups.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2023, 04:40:39 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
That might ruin them.

I agree.  I told my buddy earlier today that I'd give them less chances to win the title now than before.  His end of game decision making is just too questionable.  A defense's option to play 15 feet off of him will really hurt the LAC offense more than Westbrook's transition helps their offense.

I guess you could tell me that he won't play end of games (which should be the case IMO).  In which case, then I think he just doesn't really move the needle much at all either way.  As impactful as the Celtics acquiring Mike Muscala.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2023, 04:40:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
duplicate post
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Westbrook is fine if they give him a high intensity 20 mpg type role off the bench.  He can push the pace and keep a bench engaged.  If he embraces that type of role it will be a solid signing for the Clippers.  If he doesn't, or they ask more of him, it could be an epic failure
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 04:52:21 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Westbrook is fine if they give him a high intensity 20 mpg type role off the bench.  He can push the pace and keep a bench engaged.  If he embraces that type of role it will be a solid signing for the Clippers.  If he doesn't, or they ask more of him, it could be an epic failure

Sounds like he’s been offered the starting role.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 04:54:27 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
That might ruin them.

I agree.  I told my buddy earlier today that I'd give them less chances to win the title now than before.  His end of game decision making is just too questionable.  A defense's option to play 15 feet off of him will really hurt the LAC offense more than Westbrook's transition helps their offense.

I guess you could tell me that he won't play end of games (which should be the case IMO).  In which case, then I think he just doesn't really move the needle much at all either way.  As impactful as the Celtics acquiring Mike Muscala.

I’m actually drinking enough green koolaid that I think MM will move the needle to some degree.

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2023, 04:56:56 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
It depends on the lineups but the Clips do have two nonshooting bigs. With Russ on the floor that's two non-shooters on the floor at all times. That doesn't work so well in the playoffs.
didn't the Warriors just win a title playing Looney and Draymond together?  Or the Lakers with Rondo, Davis, and Kuzma all 33% or below?

The Warriors have the two best shooters of all time and the Lakers were the lockout. It could be done but it makes the playoffs much harder. West brook is shooting 29% from 3 and the two centers are shooting 0%... Draymond is shooting 33% from 3. Rondo shot 40% from 3 in the lockout playoffs. Davis shot 38% in the playoffs.
Or maybe that is a narrative that isn't borne in reality.  I mean even last year, Rob didn't shoot at all, Smart was at 33%, White was below 31%, and Theis didn't hardly shoot either.  That is 3 of the top 8 and the 9th man from teh playoff rotation for Boston last year.  So that is both teams from the Finals last year with 2 starters that were poor or non-shooters.  Now the Suns and Bucks, both only had the 1 poor or non-shooter in Ayton and Giannis, but in 20 you had both the Lakers (who also had Dwight in addition to the other 3) and the Heat with Bam (who doesn't shoot at all) and Butler who was a below 30% shooter in the regular season (and below 31% in the Finals).  In 2019, you had the Raptors, full of shooting, playing the Warriors, who yes had Curry, Klay, and Durant, but they also had Draymond, Cousins, Looney, and Livingston.  In fact the Warriors have always played a lot of 2 poor shooter sets because Draymond is usually out there with a center that can't shoot. 

The idea that you can't win with 2 non-shooters, is a myth.  It isn't borne out in reality.  The teams in the Finals often have multiple non-shooters both starting and in the regular rotation.

Ok, you just ignored everything I said so I guess you're just talking to yourself...

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2023, 09:17:16 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It depends on the lineups but the Clips do have two nonshooting bigs. With Russ on the floor that's two non-shooters on the floor at all times. That doesn't work so well in the playoffs.
didn't the Warriors just win a title playing Looney and Draymond together?  Or the Lakers with Rondo, Davis, and Kuzma all 33% or below?

The Warriors have the two best shooters of all time and the Lakers were the lockout. It could be done but it makes the playoffs much harder. West brook is shooting 29% from 3 and the two centers are shooting 0%... Draymond is shooting 33% from 3. Rondo shot 40% from 3 in the lockout playoffs. Davis shot 38% in the playoffs.
Or maybe that is a narrative that isn't borne in reality.  I mean even last year, Rob didn't shoot at all, Smart was at 33%, White was below 31%, and Theis didn't hardly shoot either.  That is 3 of the top 8 and the 9th man from teh playoff rotation for Boston last year.  So that is both teams from the Finals last year with 2 starters that were poor or non-shooters.  Now the Suns and Bucks, both only had the 1 poor or non-shooter in Ayton and Giannis, but in 20 you had both the Lakers (who also had Dwight in addition to the other 3) and the Heat with Bam (who doesn't shoot at all) and Butler who was a below 30% shooter in the regular season (and below 31% in the Finals).  In 2019, you had the Raptors, full of shooting, playing the Warriors, who yes had Curry, Klay, and Durant, but they also had Draymond, Cousins, Looney, and Livingston.  In fact the Warriors have always played a lot of 2 poor shooter sets because Draymond is usually out there with a center that can't shoot. 

The idea that you can't win with 2 non-shooters, is a myth.  It isn't borne out in reality.  The teams in the Finals often have multiple non-shooters both starting and in the regular rotation.

Ok, you just ignored everything I said so I guess you're just talking to yourself...
I didn't ignore what you said, I don't agree with the premise that you can't win with 2 non-shooters.  And a good run of shooting doesn't make someone a good shooter, I mean Russ has had playoffs where he shot 41.7% and 35.7% from 3.  Even he can go on a roll.  And Draymond's last 3 playoffs (all GS Finals appearances) he has shot 26.6, 22.8, and 20.5 on nearly 3 attempts a game (and he was under 30% in those regular seasons).  He is basically worse than Westbrook.  Hasn't slowed the Warriors down at all even with a center like Looney that literally took 1 3 all of last year and he hasn't taken a single one this year either.

I just think it is one of those myths that has seemingly become fact that you can't win with more than 1 non-shooter.  That just isn't true.  Teams do it all of the time and do so at the highest level.  All you need is talent. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip