Author Topic: Kyrie Irving Prediction  (Read 2229 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving Prediction
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 12:48:18 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The Lakers have cleared up salary enough for a  max contract right?
Will Kyrie make them contenders?

Not sure about contender, but LeBron, Davis & Irving would probably be the best ‘big three’ in the league. It would all depend on how they fill out their roster obviously.

IMO, the Celtics currently constructed would destroy the Lakers, even with Irving.

They'd probably need another year to get a good enough supporting cast around them to make a title challenge. LeBron would be 40 by then. A Davis who knows how his body will be holding up. Even if it works, it'll be a short window of opportunity.

Maybe something like the Olajuwon, Barkley & Drexler team that only got 1 real chance at a postseason run. Too old and banged up after that.

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2023, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I already think this won't work out for Dallas. In the last two games, they've given up 133 and 124 points. I know the 133 game was overtime, but still...

Kyrie + Doncic can put up a lot of points, but neither can play any defense either.

DAL needs to outscore most teams to win and I don't think that's sustainable especially against elite teams.

And that last possession felt like hot potato with Doncic and Kyrie sort of confused as to who should take that final shot. It was also good defense, but definitely felt out of sorts from Dallas.

The one advantage is probably that when Doncic sits, Kyrie can win you some games as he's already proved after the trade. Before, Dallas couldn't win any games when Doncic sat or was hurt.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2023, 11:07:15 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I already think this won't work out for Dallas. In the last two games, they've given up 133 and 124 points. I know the 133 game was overtime, but still...

Kyrie + Doncic can put up a lot of points, but neither can play any defense either.

DAL needs to outscore most teams to win and I don't think that's sustainable especially against elite teams.

And that last possession felt like hot potato with Doncic and Kyrie sort of confused as to who should take that final shot. It was also good defense, but definitely felt out of sorts from Dallas.

The one advantage is probably that when Doncic sits, Kyrie can win you some games as he's already proved after the trade. Before, Dallas couldn't win any games when Doncic sat or was hurt.

I don’t think it’s going to work either. Kyrie played two games without Luka, they win them both. Since Luka has come back, 0-2 and the defense is worse with both guys sharing the court. Still early, but it’s kinda looking how I thought it would.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2023, 11:12:34 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

I don’t think it’s going to work either. Kyrie played two games without Luka, they win them both. Since Luka has come back, 0-2 and the defense is worse with both guys sharing the court. Still early, but it’s kinda looking how I thought it would.

Yeah but also, Dallas' bench looks thin too. Maybe it won't matter when rotations shorten in the playoffs, but that can also become an issue down the road.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2023, 11:16:58 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
The Lakers have cleared up salary enough for a  max contract right?
Will Kyrie make them contenders?

Not sure about contender, but LeBron, Davis & Irving would probably be the best ‘big three’ in the league. It would all depend on how they fill out their roster obviously.

IMO, the Celtics currently constructed would destroy the Lakers, even with Irving.

They'd probably need another year to get a good enough supporting cast around them to make a title challenge. LeBron would be 40 by then. A Davis who knows how his body will be holding up. Even if it works, it'll be a short window of opportunity.

Maybe something like the Olajuwon, Barkley & Drexler team that only got 1 real chance at a postseason run. Too old and banged up after that.

If you add Kyrie to LeBron and Le-Brow, that is the best team in the league, IF HEALTHY, almost regardless of supporting cast.  The "if healthy" is the problem.  Neither LeBron or Davis have shown that they can hold up.  If I was Kyrie, I would not go to the Lakers for this reason.  Say someone like MIN may give him a better chance at a title.  Or of course, he may end up back with Durant in PHO.  Or maybe someone like MIA.