Author Topic: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread  (Read 30390 times)

Re: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread
« Reply #555 on: March 03, 2023, 12:03:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Looks like Dragic is going to the Bucks.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #556 on: March 03, 2023, 12:33:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
The dragic thing is kind of funny to me if I am not misremembering this. Didn’t the nets cut Jevon Carter to sign dragic? Now dragic is signing to play above or behind Carter? I’m not sure how much dragic has left at this point.

« Reply #557 on: March 03, 2023, 01:11:20 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Seems like every year, Dragic signs with a team directly opposing the Celtics...Man I hate this guy.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #558 on: March 03, 2023, 08:23:11 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Just insurance I guess, maybe also to take some minutes off Holiday for the balance of the season.  I don't see him being in the playoff rotation.

« Reply #559 on: March 03, 2023, 09:36:57 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Really doesn't feel like we're adding anybody at this point
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #560 on: March 03, 2023, 10:37:58 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

I guess they know what there doing but it mostly looks like a money-saving move...

« Reply #561 on: March 03, 2023, 12:18:36 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I think BS said something at the beginning of the buy out period that if they could find the right fit they'd look at a high upside player to get into their development program. I also think that it's smart to have an open roster spot in case of an injury they can add a player that reflects the need created by the injury.

« Reply #562 on: March 03, 2023, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

I'm honestly at the point of just signing Samanic to a two-year deal with next year non-guaranteed to reward a Maine guy and lock him in as a free look for Summer League and training camp. None of the wings left out there are going to be meaningfully better than leaning more heavily on some mix of Grant, Sam, and Pritchard if someone gets injured. If that someone is one of the Jays then the team's dead in the water anyway.

« Reply #563 on: March 03, 2023, 02:15:17 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I'm honestly at the point of just signing Samanic to a two-year deal with next year non-guaranteed to reward a Maine guy and lock him in as a free look for Summer League and training camp. None of the wings left out there are going to be meaningfully better than leaning more heavily on some mix of Grant, Sam, and Pritchard if someone gets injured. If that someone is one of the Jays then the team's dead in the water anyway.

I am starting to believe this is the reason.  They can sign Tony Snell anytime they want but they may as well keep in Maine on a G-League contract for as long as they can, he is getting playing time, which he wouldn't if they "bring him up".  If someone gets injured, a wing or another position, they can pivot and target another player, either from the G-League or from the buy out scrap heap.

They could sign someone now, then cut them and sign someone else if a different need arises, but I can see how there is not much benefit in that.

« Reply #564 on: March 03, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

I am starting to believe this is the reason.  They can sign Tony Snell anytime they want but they may as well keep in Maine on a G-League contract for as long as they can, he is getting playing time, which he wouldn't if they "bring him up".  If someone gets injured, a wing or another position, they can pivot and target another player, either from the G-League or from the buy out scrap heap.

They could sign someone now, then cut them and sign someone else if a different need arises, but I can see how there is not much benefit in that.

Luca is looking very good.  Moving well.  Some highlights of his 43pt game.  Stroke looks good.  Finishes at the rim.  He could definitely be an end of bench big.  Maybe develop into the Muscala role after next year.  Would love to have him around Horford.

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/03/luka-samanic-gets-43-with-maine-celtics-potential-option-for-bostons-last-roster-spot/?taid=640246176fe5c7000105866a&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

« Reply #565 on: March 03, 2023, 03:03:52 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
Luca is looking very good.  Moving well.  Some highlights of his 43pt game.  Stroke looks good.  Finishes at the rim.  He could definitely be an end of bench big.  Maybe develop into the Muscala role after next year.  Would love to have him around Horford.

https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2023/03/03/luka-samanic-gets-43-with-maine-celtics-potential-option-for-bostons-last-roster-spot/?taid=640246176fe5c7000105866a&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Yea, he fits the same general profile as Muscala and Gallinari (elderly edition), so he fills a certain role, recently turned 23 so he might still turn into something, and gives you an option for filling out the end of next year's bench with a minimum contract. He doesn't really make sense for this year after the Muscala addition, but I don't think anyone else available would see the floor either.

« Reply #566 on: March 03, 2023, 03:15:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Yea, he fits the same general profile as Muscala and Gallinari (elderly edition), so he fills a certain role, recently turned 23 so he might still turn into something, and gives you an option for filling out the end of next year's bench with a minimum contract. He doesn't really make sense for this year after the Muscala addition, but I don't think anyone else available would see the floor either.

I could see them adding Luka Samanic if one of the current bigs suffers an injury but not as we currently stand.  He is a legitimate prospect though, worth being intrigued over, for sure.  Former first round pick.  Only 23.  Plenty of potential.

« Reply #567 on: March 03, 2023, 03:49:34 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I know it is still early but Will Barton in TOR so far (2 games):

11 minutes
    0 pts
    1 asst
    1 steal

He had not played in a while so to some extent, this is understandable, but still, not a great start.