Author Topic: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread  (Read 30069 times)

Re: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2023, 08:51:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
That is a great draft pick that Ainge got. Very valuable. Well done.

Do not like it for LAL. Not enough return for conceding such a valuable future pick.

Minnesota didn't get much for D Russell but maybe that was the best they could get. Conley at least is a very good fit for Minnesota. He'll help balance out their perimeter play. Free Edwards up to be more aggressive & give him more time on the ball than the selfish D Russell allowed.

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2023, 08:53:41 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I wonder where Westbrook goes once he's bought out. Clippers? Heat?

I could see the clippers giving him a 10 day.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2023, 08:55:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Adrian Wojnarowski: Also in deal: Juan Toscano-Anderson and Damian Jones to Jazz, Nickeil Alexander-Walker to the Timberwolves,

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2023, 08:57:45 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Horrible trade by utah

Eh.  They get what could be a decent pick for non building blocks.
I think they could have gotten more for those players from contending teams.  probably a first rounder each

Danny seemingly didn’t think so.  Who was giving a #1 for Conley or Beasley individually?

Yeah, I don't see anyone giving up a first for Beasley. A mid second round pick.

Conley is a maybe (late first) but his contract is tough to matchup with. You could easily see that not working out.

Vanderbilt would probably get a first but likely only a late first. Something in the 20s.

The pick Ainge got from LA way out in the future is far more valuable than selling them off separately. That LA pick has risk but it could highly valuable. Good risk to take.

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Do not like it for LAL. Not enough return for conceding such a valuable future pick.

Minnesota didn't get much for D Russell but maybe that was the best they could get. Conley at least is a very good fit for Minnesota. He'll help balance out their perimeter play. Free Edwards up to be more aggressive & give him more time on the ball than the selfish D Russell allowed.
Disagree. Great deal for Lakers. Poor return by Ainge. Wish we had gotten Vandy. Bummer.

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2023, 08:59:33 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I wonder where Westbrook goes once he's bought out. Clippers? Heat?

I could see the clippers giving him a 10 day.

The Clippers would be cool. The spite in that ... going to your cross-town rivals who have a better team and a chance at making a title push.

That said, if I am LAC, I wouldn't go near him. They already have one old broken down PG in John Wall. They don't need another one.

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2023, 08:59:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

The Lakers are trying to make the playoffs this year. D-Russell is 26 years old, has been an all star and is a very good shooter. Beasley gives them another shooter as well and Vanderbilt is a decent young player. This was a great trade for LA. 
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2023, 09:05:50 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

The Lakers are trying to make the playoffs this year. D-Russell is 26 years old, has been an all star and is a very good shooter. Beasley gives them another shooter as well and Vanderbilt is a decent young player. This was a great trade for LA.

D Russell was an All-Star but he was a fake All-Star. His impact on the court never matched the accolade. And he was only a fake All-Star when he was allowed monopolize the ball which he cannot do with LeBron around. With LeBron, Russell is only a role player. A solid role player but nothing special since he does not play defense. Only a one-way offensive role player.

Beasley is no better than Reeves. Lonnie Walker and Pat Beverley have outplayed him as well this season. He is another useful end of bench guy but nothing more.

Vanderbilt could be good for them. I wasn't sold on him there at first because I felt they needed a shooter rather than a garbage man next to AD & LeBron but Vanderbilt could be good for them.

They are a marginally improved team post trade. Instead of a 35-40 win team they are 40-45 win team. They still have no chance at making a postseason run ... and they gave up 1 of their 2 most valuable trade assets to do it. That is not success. That is failure.

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2023, 09:17:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
And the pick is protected. Absolute steal for LA.

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The Lakers' 2027 first-round pick to the Jazz is protected 1-to-4, source tells ESPN.

One thing that might be overlooked is I saw this will create over 60 million in cap space this Summer to work with Markkanen, Kessler, Sexton, and Agbaji. Even though that pick is top 4 protected I would say there a great chance it’s a lottery pick.

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2023, 09:22:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
The Lakers' 2027 first-round pick to the Jazz is protected 1-to-4, source tells ESPN.

One thing that might be overlooked is I saw this will create over 60 million in cap space this Summer to work with Markkanen, Kessler, Sexton, and Agbaji. Even though that pick is top 4 protected I would say there a great chance it’s a lottery pick.

Last time I can remember Utah making a splash in FA, it was targeting young up and comers Carlos Boozer and Memo Okur. Along with Deron Williams they made the WCF and were a contender in the West for a few years.

It'll be interesting to see if Ainge can pull off something similar.

I always like seeing Utah doing well. Loved those Stockton & Malone teams. And then those Deron & Boozer teams. Gobert & D Mitchell have been fun to watch as well.

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2023, 09:25:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Where else could Westbrook go?

LAC is a great shout.

I could see one of the Eastern teams get desperate and kick the tyres with Westbrook. Brooklyn, Milwaukee, Philadelphia. Miami will definitely be in there. They need some fresh blood. Westbrook is a Riley type of player. Chicago as a Lonzo Ball replacement. It would be funny to see him go back to Washington. Better talent there now.

I wonder if Denver would try Westbrook as a backup PG. Too much risk? They are probably doing well enough right now to look past Westbrook. Dallas or Phoenix as backup PG. It does seem like something Cuban would try.

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2023, 09:32:01 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Last time I can remember Utah making a splash in FA, it was targeting young up and comers Carlos Boozer and Memo Okur. Along with Deron Williams they made the WCF and were a contender in the West for a few years.

I always like seeing Utah doing well. Loved those Stockton & Malone teams. And then those Deron & Boozer teams. Gobert & D Mitchell have been fun to watch as well.

I don't see Utah being a viable free agent landing spot. It has a reputation for being a racist city after several incidents and it's not a major market. They could probably get some midrange guys, but the game changers are going to go elsewhere unless they're drafted to that team.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2023, 09:39:55 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Luke is certainly proving that he belongs! Maybe a back up wing is of higher priority now?

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2023, 09:46:58 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Luke is certainly proving that he belongs! Maybe a back up wing is of higher priority now?

Hauser is having an even better game than Kornet, Lol. Problem is consistency with those two.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 09:58:45 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

I don't see Utah being a viable free agent landing spot. It has a reputation for being a racist city after several incidents and it's not a major market. They could probably get some midrange guys, but the game changers are going to go elsewhere unless they're drafted to that team.

I think they’ll make an aggressive offer for Grant Williams.