Author Topic: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread  (Read 30441 times)

Re: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread
« Reply #510 on: February 21, 2023, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
R.J. Hampton was waived by the Magic.

He'd be really redundant here. We need a big forward who can play both forward spots.

« Reply #511 on: February 21, 2023, 03:55:49 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
maybe, but I did like him coming up to the draft.....
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #512 on: February 21, 2023, 04:10:45 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #513 on: February 21, 2023, 06:03:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Hampton to Detroit.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #514 on: February 21, 2023, 06:38:01 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Did we sign Barton yet?

« Reply #515 on: February 21, 2023, 07:29:58 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Did we sign Barton yet?

Not yet, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

« Reply #516 on: February 21, 2023, 08:58:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I just read this on NESN:

It’s worth noting that in order to be eligible to compete in the playoffs, Barton would need to sign with a team before March 1.

Reuters is reporting the same thing.

This is blatantly untrue, and every season the media gets it wrong. Players need to have been placed on waivers by March 1 to be playoff eligible.  If they are, they retain that playoff eligibility through the last day of the regular season.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:06:59 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #517 on: February 21, 2023, 09:14:46 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Hampton to Detroit.

Detroit is picking up low risk/high reward players in Wiseman and Hampton. They could be an interesting young team next season.

« Reply #518 on: February 23, 2023, 08:55:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Jason Dumas: Source: The Sixers have inquired about Will Barton, who is still going through the process of deciding where he will play this season. 12 hours ago – via Twitter JDumasReports

I am sure that a lot of teams have "inquired", likely including the Celtics.  I don't think he would get to start anywhere, at least not on any playoff level team.  On the Celtics, he could slot immediately behind Tatum and ahead of Hauser.  At least that would be the case if he is still the same player he was as a starter in Denver.  Not sure he ends up any better/higher than 8th or 9th man on any team.

He needs to make up his mind quickly though.  Only 24 or so games remaining.  He needs to get in with a team and start to integrate himself if he wants to actually play in the playoffs.  It seems clear that the Celtics have been kind of waiting to see what Barton is going to do.  Once he signs (if not with the Celtics), the Celtics will probably get a little more serious about deciding between Stanley Johnson, Tony Snell, or whoever.

« Reply #519 on: February 23, 2023, 11:18:12 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Is Barton as bad on defense as most reports say?

And if so why would we want him?
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #520 on: February 23, 2023, 11:25:58 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's tough for any FA to consider the C's when there will be more options for PT.  Barton needs to play for a new contract for next year and I doubt he will get showcased enough on this squad to show a team what he's worth.  They guy was good bench player just a year ago but needs to play to prove it. 

The other end is how does he not crack the rotation on a bad Wizards squad? 

« Reply #521 on: February 23, 2023, 11:48:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
It's tough for any FA to consider the C's when there will be more options for PT.  Barton needs to play for a new contract for next year and I doubt he will get showcased enough on this squad to show a team what he's worth.  The guy was good bench player just a year ago but needs to play to prove it. 

Barton actually started 71 games a year ago for Denver (he was not a bench player).  And was a full time starter the prior two seasons also.  Yeah, that big question is what happened in Washington.  He is 38% from 3 this season, about what he did the last 3 seasons in Denver.  I think the Celtics have a chance.  I don't think he becomes a starter anywhere.

Aren't the contract rules strange in that if we sign him to a min or near min contract (use DPE), that we are limited as to what we can resign him for?  That we would not have full Bird rights to sign him to whatever we want?

« Reply #522 on: February 23, 2023, 12:10:38 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
It's tough for any FA to consider the C's when there will be more options for PT.  Barton needs to play for a new contract for next year and I doubt he will get showcased enough on this squad to show a team what he's worth.  The guy was good bench player just a year ago but needs to play to prove it. 

Barton actually started 71 games a year ago for Denver (he was not a bench player).  And was a full time starter the prior two seasons also.  Yeah, that big question is what happened in Washington.  He is 38% from 3 this season, about what he did the last 3 seasons in Denver.  I think the Celtics have a chance.  I don't think he becomes a starter anywhere.

Aren't the contract rules strange in that if we sign him to a min or near min contract (use DPE), that we are limited as to what we can resign him for?  That we would not have full Bird rights to sign him to whatever we want?

No one who signs him this season will have Bird rights next season (more technically they’ll have non-Bird rights).  The only difference is if the C’s use the DPE, they couldn’t sign him to a deal with a player option, whereas a team (including the Celtics) who signed him with the minimum could give him a player option.

« Reply #523 on: February 23, 2023, 01:00:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

No one who signs him this season will have Bird rights next season (more technically they’ll have non-Bird rights).  The only difference is if the C’s use the DPE, they couldn’t sign him to a deal with a player option, whereas a team (including the Celtics) who signed him with the minimum could give him a player option.

OK, yes, that is what I thought but couldn't remember the specifics.  We would only be able to offer him 120% of the min deal, or use some or all of next seasons MLE, right?  That would be true of any team that now signs him for the rest of the season.

He is in a tough spot.  He played so poorly in Washington that his value has likely really dropped.  Probably less than a MLE level player at this point.  And I am not sure he is going to get much of a chance on any team to play and change how he is viewed as a player.

« Reply #524 on: February 23, 2023, 02:01:13 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

OK, yes, that is what I thought but couldn't remember the specifics.  We would only be able to offer him 120% of the min deal, or use some or all of next seasons MLE, right?  That would be true of any team that now signs him for the rest of the season.

He is in a tough spot.  He played so poorly in Washington that his value has likely really dropped.  Probably less than a MLE level player at this point.  And I am not sure he is going to get much of a chance on any team to play and change how he is viewed as a player.

If we gave him the full DPE, we could offer him 120% of that, but that’s so marginally above 120% of next year’s minimum that it shouldn’t matter (probably about a $75k) difference.  Barton’s next contract will most likely be signed as a minimum deal or with an MLE.  Maybe he’s a bi-annual exception candidate, as there are a few teams next year who might fall into the zone where the BAE is usable.  He’s only signing a non-Bird deal if he’s part of a sign-and-trade and finds a dry market in free agency.