Author Topic: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread  (Read 30454 times)

Re: 2023 Official NBA Trade Deadline/Buyout Thread
« Reply #135 on: February 09, 2023, 07:28:02 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I say Westbrook go to either Miami or Clippers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #136 on: February 09, 2023, 07:28:51 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Poeltl goes back to Toronto for a 1st and two 2nds.  Pretty close to the two 1sts the Spurs were seeking.  I’m okay with the C’s passing on him at that price.

« Reply #137 on: February 09, 2023, 07:52:21 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Poeltl goes back to Toronto for a 1st and two 2nds.  Pretty close to the two 1sts the Spurs were seeking.  I’m okay with the C’s passing on him at that price.

I would have been fine if they paid that price.  I'm also fine with them passing.  A lot depends upon what the backup plan is, because Poeltl would have improved our title chances.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2023, 08:48:27 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I would have been fine if they paid that price.  I'm also fine with them passing.  A lot depends upon what the backup plan is, because Poeltl would have improved our title chances.

Maybe.  Toronto paid a price for someone who will start and they will try to resign.  He’d have been on the bench here, and walked in free agency.

Grant just did an amazing job containing Joel Embiid last night.  I’ve said all season our biggest need is a wing behind the Js, and not a big, and that’s what Stevens’ move should be.

« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2023, 08:53:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Maybe.  Toronto paid a price for someone who will start and they will try to resign.  He’d have been on the bench here, and walked in free agency.

Grant just did an amazing job containing Joel Embiid last night.  I’ve said all season our biggest need is a wing behind the Js, and not a big, and that’s what Stevens’ move should be.

There's no reason to think that he would have left in free agency.  Money tends to talk.  We've got multiple bench players making about what Poeltl will get in free agency.  And, Poeltl is a top-15 to top-20 center, minimally.  He would have helped.  Grant Williams was great last night.  It was also his best performance in weeks, on either end.

I don't see a lot of wings available.  I also don't think that, when healthy, it's our biggest need.  All of Tatum, Brown, Smart, Brogdon, White and Hauser can play wing, with five of those guys being well above average.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2023, 09:08:07 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

There's no reason to think that he would have left in free agency.  Money tends to talk.  We've got multiple bench players making about what Poeltl will get in free agency.  And, Poeltl is a top-15 to top-20 center, minimally.  He would have helped.  Grant Williams was great last night.  It was also his best performance in weeks, on either end.

I don't see a lot of wings available.  I also don't think that, when healthy, it's our biggest need.  All of Tatum, Brown, Smart, Brogdon, White and Hauser can play wing, with five of those guys being well above average.

Money talks, but so does starting.  He’d have been an unrestricted free agent.  How much of a premium were the Celtics going to pay to convince him to stay over a team who would offer him a starting role?

As for wings, if you think Hauser is ready for the playoff rotation, then we’re set as is.  I was the biggest Hauser champion over the summer, but I feel more comfortable leaning on Kornet for 12 minutes a game if someone goes down than I do Hauser.

« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2023, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Money talks, but so does starting.  He’d have been an unrestricted free agent.  How much of a premium were the Celtics going to pay to convince him to stay over a team who would offer him a starting role?

As for wings, if you think Hauser is ready for the playoff rotation, then we’re set as is.  I was the biggest Hauser champion over the summer, but I feel more comfortable leaning in Kornet for 12 minutes a game if someone goes down than I do Hauser.

I have been saying all along that Poeltl made a lot of sense for TOR, he is just what they need.  Siakam, Anunoby, and Barnes are all similar players.  To some degree, they are all PFs or Swings.  The needed a center and they got a decent (but not spectacular) one without giving up any important players.  Now they can overpay him to keep him.

I did not see the same kind of long term fit for us.  Unless you are giving up on RWIII, we have our center.  What we need longer term is a PF.  A Siakam type is what we need.  We would have way less reason to overpay to keep Poeltl.

As to the deal, remember that we would likely have needed to give up Gallinari and Pritchard (or something) in addition to at least a first, if not a second or two.  And then over pay to keep him.  I am OK passing on this.  I don't see Poeltl as worth all of that.

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:39 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
G: VanVleet
G: Trent Jr
F: Anunoby, S.Barnes
F: Siakam, S.Barnes
C: Poeltl

That is 50+ win team. Toronto should NOT trade OG.

Don’t forget Precious who has been playing much better lately, and could be on the verge of breaking out.

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2023, 09:24:49 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Don’t forget Precious who has been playing much better lately, and could be on the verge of breaking out.

They have a lot of good players, but the pieces don't fit well. Their offense is horrible. Siakim is not a number 1 (or arguably even a number 2 but don't tell Raptors fans that) on a true contender. There's no shooting for Barnes to use as he continues to develop.

In the playoffs, they will struggle to get to 90 points, but maybe they are betting they can keep teams to 85.

« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2023, 09:38:56 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I’m personally amused that someone could think Jakob Poeltl takes the Raptor from being a 38-win team to 50+ wins all by his lonesome.

« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421

I wouldn't be shocked if the Raptors surprise everyone and try to consolidate Trent and Anunoby into one starting SG.

Maybe Anunoby, Trent, 2023 1st, and a future pick swap to the Bulls for Lavine?

Not sure what the Bulls are doing but that would create alot of clarity for the Raptors roster. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #146 on: February 09, 2023, 09:44:29 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
So the Lakers got moderately better, the Mavs got significantly better (for now) and the Suns became a major favorite in the West? Lebron must be so disappointed. If the Lakers make the playoffs, they have to go through Jokic , Murray, and Gordon, Luka and Kyrie, and a loaded Suns team. Not to mention the Grizzlies.

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2023, 09:45:30 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Even with the two trades this evening, today in general felt very quiet overall, especially for the Celtics. Hopefully things pick up tomorrow morning and into the afternoon with the deadline now about 18 hours away

Hope CBS has something cooking.

Need a depth big and a depth wing/scorer. Doesn’t have to be a flashy guy like Poeltl either

WOW never mind. Guess I slept too soon lol. What a chaotic night of trades
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2023, 09:46:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I wouldn't be shocked if the Raptors surprise everyone and try to consolidate Trent and Anunoby into one starting SG.

Not sure what the Bulls are doing but that would create alot of clarity for the Raptors roster.
I think that's an overpay for Lavine.  Maybe if the Bulls kicked in a lesser player or take out the pick from Toronto.

« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2023, 09:55:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Even the Bulls don't know what they're doing.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team