Author Topic: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs (Dinwiddie, DFS, #1)  (Read 28460 times)

Re: Shams: Kyrie Traded to Mavs (Dinwiddie, DFS, #1)
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2023, 01:26:34 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Yeah, it disgusts me that fans voted this racist into the All-Star game, that one of our best players is good friends with him, and that other teams are giving him tens of millions of dollars to play while spreading hate and discontent.

I think a lot of players like Kyrie so I’m not so surprised about Tatum. I don’t know Kyrie personally but if I had to guess, he’s probably a nice guy irl and someone who will teach young players finer points of the game (it’s obvious his basketball skill is off the charts).

We don’t like him because of the nonsense and hate he spews, and I get that. But that’s just one facet of him. And I highly doubt players are constantly talking about politics, race and other heavy topics when they’re working out or practicing. They’re likely talking more about basketball and lifestyle stuff. He doesn’t strike me as an arrogant, borderline-combative person the way MJ and Kobe were so it makes him easy to be around (assuming he actually shows up).
- LilRip

« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2023, 01:33:05 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Yeah, it disgusts me that fans voted this racist into the All-Star game, that one of our best players is good friends with him, and that other teams are giving him tens of millions of dollars to play while spreading hate and discontent.

I think a lot of players like Kyrie so I’m not so surprised about Tatum. I don’t know Kyrie personally but if I had to guess, he’s probably a nice guy irl and someone who will teach young players finer points of the game (it’s obvious his basketball skill is off the charts).

We don’t like him because of the nonsense and hate he spews, and I get that. But that’s just one facet of him. And I highly doubt players are constantly talking about politics, race and other heavy topics when they’re working out or practicing. They’re likely talking more about basketball and lifestyle stuff. He doesn’t strike me as an arrogant, borderline-combative person the way MJ and Kobe were so it makes him easy to be around (assuming he actually shows up).

Think he meant JB, but you’re right regarding Tatum as well.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #377 on: February 11, 2023, 02:58:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Incredible to watch him set fire to, and bail on, team after team and not even a hint of self awareness.

And, really, the most incredible thing about it is that he'll be starting the all star game because he's so popular. People are wild.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #378 on: February 11, 2023, 02:59:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Incredible to watch him set fire to, and bail on, team after team and not even a hint of self awareness.

And, really, the most incredible thing about it is that he'll be starting the all star game because he's so popular. People are wild.

Just like Antonio Brown in the NFL. Despite everything, he ultimately still latched on with Brady and the Bucs and won a SB there before he went off the rails for good even with the Bucs. If you're a talented athlete, there a lot of advantages to have
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #379 on: February 15, 2023, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm wondering, would the Nets have been better off doing a Kyrie trade with the Lakers, and then tried to do a follow up trade with Utah?

Trade one:  Nets trade Kyrie to Lakers for two #1s, Westbrook, Bryant

Trade two:  Nets trade Westbrook, protected Lakers #1 for Conley/Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt

Could a Nets team that added Russell or Conley, along with Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bryant instead of Kyrie have been better?  Under that circumstance, they'd still have a future Lakers pick to rebuild with, with a decent win-now roster.

Most importantly, could Durant have lived with that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #380 on: February 15, 2023, 03:27:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2403
I'm wondering, would the Nets have been better off doing a Kyrie trade with the Lakers, and then tried to do a follow up trade with Utah?

Trade one:  Nets trade Kyrie to Lakers for two #1s, Westbrook, Bryant

Trade two:  Nets trade Westbrook, protected Lakers #1 for Conley/Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt

Could a Nets team that added Russell or Conley, along with Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bryant instead of Kyrie have been better?  Under that circumstance, they'd still have a future Lakers pick to rebuild with, with a decent win-now roster.

Most importantly, could Durant have lived with that?

I don't see it.

Why would you give up a highly valuable future first for those three guys from Utah?

Vanderbilt will be a liability next to Nic Claxton and Ben Simmons. Vanderbilt was already having problems in Utah next to Kessler; now he has two non-shooters instead of one making it even harder to get him on the floor.

Michael Beasley is a mediocre bench SG. Brooklyn already had better alternatives to him with Joe Harris, Seth Curry and possibly even Cam Thomas.

Mike Conley is an improvement over Spencer Dinwiddie but not a big enough improvement to justify the loss of that highly valuable future first or enough of an improvement to convince Kevin Durant to stay.

Brooklyn would still not be a contender after this trade. The only way to be a contender was to keep Kyrie Irving.

Edit: I'd rate Conley a 10-15 rank PG (11ppg 7apg good D). Probably around 20 for Dinwiddie (17ppg 5apg bad D). It is good but not good enough to keep BKN in title contention. Conley is 35yo and in decline. Not worth cost of that future first. 

« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2023, 03:41:08 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Nets desperately need a distributor PG, not Dinwiddie. He is pretty much an ISO guy. Same With Cam Thomas.  They have really good complimentary players, but need a guy like Derrick White as their PG. (BTW, I don't want to trade D White!!)

« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2023, 04:03:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Nets desperately need a distributor PG, not Dinwiddie. He is pretty much an ISO guy. Same With Cam Thomas.  They have really good complimentary players, but need a guy like Derrick White as their PG. (BTW, I don't want to trade D White!!)
This is why in another thread, I said Simmons should start in place of Dinwiddie.  I think he is what that starting unit could use (at least he is the best option of what they have).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2023, 05:50:38 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
This is why in another thread, I said Simmons should start in place of Dinwiddie.  I think he is what that starting unit could use (at least he is the best option of what they have).

Hard to play Simmons and Claxton together though.  And Claxton has shown enough growth this year that I'm not sure that I want Simmons' corpse getting in Claxton's way. 

I'm of the opinion that Simmons' playmaking is overrated in half-court sets anyway.  He's a deadly passer in transition.  In half-court, he subtracts as much as he adds.

« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2023, 10:03:35 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2023, 10:16:54 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2023, 10:30:09 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Ouch, my back hurts, only took game 5 for a DNP

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10064301-mavericks-kyrie-irving-ruled-out-vs-nuggets-with-back-injury.amp.html

Guess Dallas isn’t his cup of tea. On to the next team…  :P

Lol. Rolling the dice is not always smart for sure.

« Reply #387 on: February 16, 2023, 02:34:24 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Hard to play Simmons and Claxton together though.  And Claxton has shown enough growth this year that I'm not sure that I want Simmons' corpse getting in Claxton's way. 

I'm of the opinion that Simmons' playmaking is overrated in half-court sets anyway.  He's a deadly passer in transition.  In half-court, he subtracts as much as he adds.

Simmons is falling out of the rotation, and with good reason. Vaughn explained it quite well.

« Reply #388 on: February 16, 2023, 02:44:09 AM »

Online radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Dinwiddie was actually a distributor last game. He took only 4 shots. It was Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, and Cam Thomas who carried the scoring load.

« Reply #389 on: February 16, 2023, 05:32:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Ouch, my back hurts, only took game 5 for a DNP

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10064301-mavericks-kyrie-irving-ruled-out-vs-nuggets-with-back-injury.amp.html

Guess Dallas isn’t his cup of tea. On to the next team…  :P

Lol. Rolling the dice is not always smart for sure.

It's hard to imagine who might take him, if Dallas have an early exit and he starts looking around.

The Knicks and Sacto, both seem to have finally figured out the way to not be the laughing stock of the NBA... I can't see Charlotte doing it...

Seriously who??? Mayyyyybe the Clips give him a 1 year deal over summer and hope he can make it work?

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.