Author Topic: Rumor: C’s Eyeing Olynyk  (Read 6412 times)

Re: Rumor: C’s Eyeing Olynyk
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 12:13:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I am not a big fan of his defense.   He is a smart player who can shoot.    In some ways he 'd be a big upgrade over Kornett in others he is not.

I think he's actually pretty good at defense, except as a rim protector.
i remember ollly as being an intelligent defender and who worked hard. his biggest problem is that he is slow afoot. on the perimeter against most guards he had trouble keeping up when they drove to the basket.

but he has gotten stronger and that may help a bit. for team defense, switches, etc. i think he is better than pritchard.

in brief, his defense is acceptable. on offense he reminds a bit of a "low budget Al." a big who can pass, shoot, and rebound all right.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 12:16:17 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There are certain coaches and executives that I trust.  If Danny Ainge / Pat Riley / Eric Spoelstra all value KO highly, I think that says a lot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2023, 12:16:54 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
My Prediction: Theis will get traded, bought out and be back here haha
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2023, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
My Prediction: Theis will get traded, bought out and be back here haha

If I recall Theis was killing US in the playoffs last here. I like him but nothing more that a warm body for regular season.

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 12:22:01 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I am not a big fan of his defense.   He is a smart player who can shoot.    In some ways he 'd be a big upgrade over Kornett in others he is not.

I think he's actually pretty good at defense, except as a rim protector.
i remember ollly as being an intelligent defender and who worked hard. his biggest problem is that he is slow afoot. on the perimeter against most guards he had trouble keeping up when they drove to the basket.

but he has gotten stronger and that may help a bit. for team defense, switches, etc. i think he is better than pritchard.

in brief, his defense is acceptable. on offense he reminds a bit of a "low budget Al." a big who can pass, shoot, and rebound all right.

He would not be a long term foundational starter replacement for Horford. He would be a valuable rotation big to fill in for missed games and cover the spots where Grant Williams isn't big enough. For that he is pretty ideal.

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2023, 01:05:47 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Olynyk is a really high level offensive big man. He does an excellent job keeping the ball moving and spreading the court.

On defense he is meh. Probably not a starting caliber player on that side of the court, but he isn't terrible. He's probably a better defender than Kevin Love or similar reserve big men.

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2023, 01:11:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
He would not be a long term foundational starter replacement for Horford. He would be a valuable rotation big to fill in for missed games and cover the spots where Grant Williams isn't big enough. For that he is pretty ideal.

Absolutely, no way he is starter material.  In my mind, he would slot somewhere between Grant and Kornet in terms of the big rotation or depth chart.  I am not nearly as excited about him as some seem.  I see him in the Hauser, Pritchard range in terms of depth or impact:

Starters:   Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford, RWIII
Rotation:  White, Brogdon, Grant
Bench:  Hauser, Pritchard, Olynyk(?)
End of Bench:  Kornet, Griffin
Towel Waver:  Jackson

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2023, 05:36:53 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Absolutely, no way he is starter material.  In my mind, he would slot somewhere between Grant and Kornet in terms of the big rotation or depth chart.  I am not nearly as excited about him as some seem.  I see him in the Hauser, Pritchard range in terms of depth or impact:

Starters:   Smart, Brown, Tatum, Horford, RWIII
Rotation:  White, Brogdon, Grant
Bench:  Hauser, Pritchard, Olynyk(?)
End of Bench:  Kornet, Griffin
Towel Waver:  Jackson

I’d take KO over Grant any day of the week.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2023, 05:47:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
There are certain coaches and executives that I trust.  If Danny Ainge / Pat Riley / Eric Spoelstra all value KO highly, I think that says a lot.

Brad too. He influenced Danny picking him in 2013 draft, something to the effect that Butler could never stop him. I sometimes wonder if Brad comment factored into not taking Giannis with that pick. We will never know.

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2023, 05:57:34 PM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610

Brad too. He influenced Danny picking him in 2013 draft, something to the effect that Butler could never stop him. I sometimes wonder if Brad comment factored into not taking Giannis with that pick. We will never know.

Fuel meet Fire

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 06:05:02 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Fuel meet Fire

Insert Arthur shaking fist meme here

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2023, 06:13:19 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Stevens wasn’t even hired until a week after the draft, so I would be quite surprised if he had much influence on Ainge’s pick.

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2023, 06:16:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Stevens wasn’t even hired until a week after the draft, so I would be quite surprised if he had much influence on Ainge’s pick.

Hmm. Let me try to find the quote. Thought Danny asked his opinion before the draft. Thx for pointing that out.

He was hired just one week after the draft so not inconceivable asked his opinion before it was officially announced.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 06:27:04 PM by footey »

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2023, 06:46:26 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Hmm. Let me try to find the quote. Thought Danny asked his opinion before the draft. Thx for pointing that out.

He was hired just one week after the draft so not inconceivable asked his opinion before it was officially announced.

Certainly not inconceivable, but Stevens could have praised Olynyk just as part of the research NBA teams do with college coaches during the draft process, before Doc had even left.  He was obviously respected, so his voice might have carried extra weight relative to other college coaches, but it’s not like he was at all involved in the decision to make the pick over Giannis.

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2023, 10:53:10 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics interest in Kelly Olynyk is ‘real’.

Chris Forsberg
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine