Author Topic: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?  (Read 10359 times)

Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« on: February 02, 2023, 08:34:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
From interviews, it seems like Payton Pritchard wants a bigger role, and would prefer to be traded to another team.  It seems like the Celts will try to accommodate him, most likely this summer.

The question:  if a trade is inevitable, is it better to trade him now or later?  When will he have more value?  What impact would losing Pritchard have on the team now?  Are there free agents or trade targets that we could pick up as a 3rd / 4th PG?

If we could trade him now for a guy who could fill Theis' role on the team last season, I would move him.  I'd rather have a decent third / fourth big than deep depth at PG.  PP's performance has been down this year, and while I like his hustle, we need more size.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Should we trade Pritchard now, or in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 08:42:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I too think trading PP is inevitable, but that's partly because the depth at PG and partly due to his height. I don't think PP needs to be replaced if it means giving up assets or paying another dude. Why not insert JD Davison as the 3rd/4th PG? I just hate to see decent prospects not get any reps.

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 08:44:55 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
He’s better for salary-matching in the summer, because $4 million goes further than $2 million.  He’ll have a little more value now, because a team gets him for longer.  So it just depends as to whether they can get the right player in the next week.  There’s no rush to trade him.

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 08:57:30 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He’s better for salary-matching in the summer, because $4 million goes further than $2 million.  He’ll have a little more value now, because a team gets him for longer.  So it just depends as to whether they can get the right player in the next week.  There’s no rush to trade him.

Sounds reasonable to me.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 09:10:25 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'd trade him now.  Need to capitalize on the season and if Pritchard plays a meaningful role in the post season then something has gone terribly wrong.  Pick up a player now that can do more both in the regular season and is better insurance in the post season. 

The only caveat would be if the team made a more impactful move and traded White (something like White for Collins).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Good point on the salary but we still have a $5.8M TPE.  So it wouldn't be hard to structure a deal where Pritchard goes out and we get back up to $5.8M.  Is that correct?  If he is part of a bigger deal, then yes, that additional salary could come into play.  I don't suspect that this is a big factor right now though.

That aside, everyone is saying pretty much what I see.  If we can get a comparable SF or Big for him now, definitely do it.  If not, wait for the off season.  No need to trade him just to trade him.  He is useful to the team.  Not as useful as a comparable SF or Big would be due to the depth we have at combo guard relative to other positions, but still useful.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:36:03 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think that really just depends on what is available and are the pieces available at that price worth the trade. 

If there is a move that costs the Celtics Pritchard that Stevens thinks will give the team a better chance this season, he will pull the trigger.     

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 10:03:17 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I think that really just depends on what is available and are the pieces available at that price worth the trade. 

If there is a move that costs the Celtics Pritchard that Stevens thinks will give the team a better chance this season, he will pull the trigger.   
how dare you make an obvious, common sense comment?!   ;)

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 10:25:33 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Pritchard for Reid would seemingly make sense to me. From what I can tell, Minny doesn’t have significant PG depth or quality behind DLo (who could be shipped out, too), and PP could fill a need their longer-term as they figure out a direction, especially with his shooting. And Reid obviously fills a need for us.

May have to include a second or cash given how well Reid has been playing lately, but I think it’d be worth it.

Then we could hopefully pick up a wing in the buyout market or via our TPE.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Good point on the salary but we still have a $5.8M TPE.  So it wouldn't be hard to structure a deal where Pritchard goes out and we get back up to $5.8M.  Is that correct?  If he is part of a bigger deal, then yes, that additional salary could come into play.  I don't suspect that this is a big factor right now though.

That aside, everyone is saying pretty much what I see.  If we can get a comparable SF or Big for him now, definitely do it.  If not, wait for the off season.  No need to trade him just to trade him.  He is useful to the team.  Not a useful as a comparable SF or Big would be due to the depth we have at combo guard relative to other positions, but still useful.

Yes, the TPE still exists.  His contract is still more useful in the summer, because you can combine it to take on a single larger salary.  For example, Pritchard and Kornet can bring back someone who makes around $8.1 million next year.  Pritchard and Gallo can bring back $13.6 million.

It’s not a reason to hold him — the Celtics will move him next week if there is something good — but it’s why there is no imperative to move him if the offer isn’t there, because there are more possibilities in the summer.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 10:32:18 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

how dare you make an obvious, common sense comment?!   ;)

I am just to tired to be creative at the moment.   If I take a nap, I will come back.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 10:58:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
With JD and Yam possible next year a trade now makes sense as teams will hold that against C's. I say get a first for him and then flip that first and the TE for someone.

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 11:01:51 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Pritchard for Reid would seemingly make sense to me. From what I can tell, Minny doesn’t have significant PG depth or quality behind DLo (who could be shipped out, too), and PP could fill a need their longer-term as they figure out a direction, especially with his shooting. And Reid obviously fills a need for us.

May have to include a second or cash given how well Reid has been playing lately, but I think it’d be worth it.

Then we could hopefully pick up a wing in the buyout market or via our TPE.

So I watched Reid last night and have to wonder why Wolves would want to trade him? My understanding is that he’s been really good all year, so why would they trade him for an undersized backup guard and a second?

I’m not trying to be a smart guy, it’s a serious question as I have seen this idea before

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 11:03:35 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
With JD and Yam possible next year a trade now makes sense as teams will hold that against C's. I say get a first for him and then flip that first and the TE for someone.
I doubt PP will return a first rounder.  JD and Yam aren't anywhere worth anything to be held against the C's. 

JD might become someone useful next year at the end of the bench.  Yam, not sure he ever makes it over here since I don't see him coming in as a 2-way player nor to just sit at the end of the bench behind Smart, White and Brogdon for a few years

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 11:20:23 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Payton doesn’t have starter material plus got JD and Yam coming so try and get frontcourt help
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin