Author Topic: 1 week until the deadline: my predictions  (Read 2697 times)

1 week until the deadline: my predictions
« on: February 01, 2023, 05:16:47 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
Many think this is going to be an explosive trade deadline - I feel like every time a deadline is hyped up like this, minimal trades actually end up happening, but just for fun, these are a few trades I can see going down across the league.

- Hornets trade G Terry Rozier to Suns for F Dario Saric, G Landry Shamet, and their 2023 1st rounder (Top 10 protected).

CHA goes full tank mode while shedding salary and getting a 1st rounder in a good draft. PHX gets the experienced guars off the bench they've been searching for. Would love to see Rozier in a good team agin.

- Pistons trade F Bojan Bogdanovic & F Isaiah Livers to Mavericks for G/F Josh Green, G Jaden Hardy, F Davis Bertans, 2024 1st rounder.

DET certainly doesn't need to trade BB as they are bad enough with him on the team to tank for Wemby, but I think they will for a package they like. Josh Green has established himself as an intriguing trade piece, and they also get a 1st and Bertans contract to add to a trade down the line. I think DAL really needs to take a swing on a trade like this before Luka gets disgruntled and bounces. BB would fit like a glove next to him.

- Hawks trade F John Collins to Pacers for F Jalen Smith, G Andrew Nembhard, 2023 1st rounder (Via CLE), and a future 2nd rounder.

The Myles Turner signing is a sign the Pacers like their team and want to keep improving. Collins would be a step in the right direction. He wouldn't exactly catapult them in to contention, but is an interesting weapon for Haliburton to work with. Hawks get two good rotation players and a pick, possibly more than what Collins is worth in the midst of the worst year of his career.

- Raptors trade F OG Anunoby to Pelicans for F Trey Murphy, G Devonte Graham, 2024 1st rounder, 2025 1st rounder (Via MIL).

NOP get one of the most versatile defenders in the league to add to their core without touching any of the super valuable Lakers pick. I love Trey Murphy, and it's entirely possible he ends up being a better player than Anunoby in a few years, but Pelicans are in win now mode, and an aggressive move like this is a good way to show your star player you are invested in winning.

- Bulls trade G Alex Caruso to Warriors for C James Wiseman & 2023 1st rounder (lottery protected).

I'll be fairly surprised if Golden State does nothing. It would be cool to see Wiseman get a fresh start somewhere. Idk...I actually really like this trade for Golden State, so I hope it doesn't happen lol, but it kinda makes sense, especially for CHI who gets a 1st rounder (they don't have their own this year) and a Center - they may very well lose Vucevic in free agency this offseason.

- Jazz trade G Jordan Clarkson & F Jarred Vanderbilt to Kings for G Davion Mitchell, F Richaun Holmes, 2023 1st rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, and 2025 2nd rounder (Via POR).

Kings haven't been to the playoffs since George W. was in office (insane). They can smell it for the first time in a long time and, like many other WC teams, can see that the conference is potentially wide open. This is the kind of win now trade I can see them making to cement their spot. Danny and Utah join the Wemby sweepstakes and get three picks for a guy I don't think they'd even keep past this year. Pretty good.

- Magic trade C Mo Bamba to Celtics for Payton Pritchard & Luke Kornet.

Pritchard and Mo Bamba are too good to be rotting away on their teams benches. Each fill needs for both teams. Makes sense to me.

Some may be surprised that I don't have Miami doing anything, but honestly they just don't have the assets to do anything. They aren't trading any of their main three guys, won't trade Jovic, and nobody wants to take on Duncan Robinsons bloated contract. They may take a swing at Jae Crowder, but can't see them doing anything major.

The Clippers may do something like trade for VanVleet, but its hard to care about or take anything that team does seriously after four LONG Kawhi/PG13 load management seasons. Sorry, Clippers.

Bucks, Sixers, Cavs, Nets will be in play for guys like Josh Richardson, Alec Burks, Eric Gordon, Josh Hart so something may happen there.

Looking forward to the deadline and hopefully we will have plenty to discuss!

Re: 1 week until the deadline: my predictions
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 05:26:23 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
TP for the exceptional effort. I’ll be watching to see if you hit on any of them. Giving Bamba a go here sounds ok to me.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Many think this is going to be an explosive trade deadline - I feel like every time a deadline is hyped up like this, minimal trades actually end up happening, but just for fun, these are a few trades I can see going down across the league.

- Hornets trade G Terry Rozier to Suns for F Dario Saric, G Landry Shamet, and their 2023 1st rounder (Top 10 protected).

CHA goes full tank mode while shedding salary and getting a 1st rounder in a good draft. PHX gets the experienced guars off the bench they've been searching for. Would love to see Rozier in a good team agin.

- Pistons trade F Bojan Bogdanovic & F Isaiah Livers to Mavericks for G/F Josh Green, G Jaden Hardy, F Davis Bertans, 2024 1st rounder.

DET certainly doesn't need to trade BB as they are bad enough with him on the team to tank for Wemby, but I think they will for a package they like. Josh Green has established himself as an intriguing trade piece, and they also get a 1st and Bertans contract to add to a trade down the line. I think DAL really needs to take a swing on a trade like this before Luka gets disgruntled and bounces. BB would fit like a glove next to him.

- Hawks trade F John Collins to Pacers for F Jalen Smith, G Andrew Nembhard, 2023 1st rounder (Via CLE), and a future 2nd rounder.

The Myles Turner signing is a sign the Pacers like their team and want to keep improving. Collins would be a step in the right direction. He wouldn't exactly catapult them in to contention, but is an interesting weapon for Haliburton to work with. Hawks get two good rotation players and a pick, possibly more than what Collins is worth in the midst of the worst year of his career.

- Raptors trade F OG Anunoby to Pelicans for F Trey Murphy, G Devonte Graham, 2024 1st rounder, 2025 1st rounder (Via MIL).

NOP get one of the most versatile defenders in the league to add to their core without touching any of the super valuable Lakers pick. I love Trey Murphy, and it's entirely possible he ends up being a better player than Anunoby in a few years, but Pelicans are in win now mode, and an aggressive move like this is a good way to show your star player you are invested in winning.

- Bulls trade G Alex Caruso to Warriors for C James Wiseman & 2023 1st rounder (lottery protected).

I'll be fairly surprised if Golden State does nothing. It would be cool to see Wiseman get a fresh start somewhere. Idk...I actually really like this trade for Golden State, so I hope it doesn't happen lol, but it kinda makes sense, especially for CHI who gets a 1st rounder (they don't have their own this year) and a Center - they may very well lose Vucevic in free agency this offseason.

- Jazz trade G Jordan Clarkson & F Jarred Vanderbilt to Kings for G Davion Mitchell, F Richaun Holmes, 2023 1st rounder, 2024 2nd rounder, and 2025 2nd rounder (Via POR).

Kings haven't been to the playoffs since George W. was in office (insane). They can smell it for the first time in a long time and, like many other WC teams, can see that the conference is potentially wide open. This is the kind of win now trade I can see them making to cement their spot. Danny and Utah join the Wemby sweepstakes and get three picks for a guy I don't think they'd even keep past this year. Pretty good.

Pritchard and Mo Bamba are too good to be rotting away on their teams benches. Each fill needs for both teams. Makes sense to me.

Some may be surprised that I don't have Miami doing anything, but honestly they just don't have the assets to do anything. They aren't trading any of their main three guys, won't trade Jovic, and nobody wants to take on Duncan Robinsons bloated contract. They may take a swing at Jae Crowder, but can't see them doing anything major.

The Clippers may do something like trade for VanVleet, but its hard to care about or take anything that team does seriously after four LONG Kawhi/PG13 load management seasons. Sorry, Clippers.

Bucks, Sixers, Cavs, Nets will be in play for guys like Josh Richardson, Alec Burks, Eric Gordon, Josh Hart so something may happen there.

Looking forward to the deadline and hopefully we will have plenty to discuss!

Sounds good to me.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 05:53:48 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
TP for the exceptional effort. I’ll be watching to see if you hit on any of them. Giving Bamba a go here sounds ok to me.

Thanks, Neurotic Guy! I'm sure I won't hit on any of these as these things are extremely hard to predict, but it is definitely fun (and slightly addicting!) to tinker with the trade machine.

I'm sure a crazy 4-team trade that no one could have ever forecasted will come out of the woodworks to shock us all at the deadline - that's what makes it so fun!

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 06:00:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Thanks, Neurotic Guy! I'm sure I won't hit on any of these as these things are extremely hard to predict, but it is definitely fun (and slightly addicting!) to tinker with the trade machine.

I'm sure a crazy 4-team trade that no one could have ever forecasted will come out of the woodworks to shock us all at the deadline - that's what makes it so fun!

Yup Tp here as well. Og to the pelicans is scary, Bamba to celtics interesting.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Not be be a downer but...

I can't see the Suns giving up a 1st to take on Rozier's contract. I like Terry but he is best suited to be the 6th man on a playoff team.

This would be a true desperation move by the Mavs Bojan is good but this trade essentially is two firsts (Green and Hardy both are equal value to 1sts) for Bojan and one first to take on Bertan's $$$. 

Hard to see ATL making a trade that doesnt consolidate talent but instead spreads it out. I suspect if Collins is moved the return will be more of a win now type player

Maybe but I think we are going to see a bidding war for OG

Can't see Caruso having THAT much value, GS will likely have the a high teens / low 20s pick that alone is an over pay for Curry, Poole, and Klay's backup let alone the pick and Wiseman

Feels like DA will get a better return for Clarkson and Vanderbilt in separate trades then packaged together.

trade financially doesn't work and the Magic have little room for Pritchard as they already have a log jamb at PG. Maybe something like Pritchard to Mavs, Bamba to Celtics and Magic get Galo, a cap filler from the magic, and some combination of a lower value first or multiple seconds
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 06:52:08 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
How many PGs does Orlando need? Got Anthony, Suggs, Fultz
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I prefer Naz Reid over Bamba, both in terms of play and salary.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 07:41:38 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
TP for having the cajones to stick your neck out on these predictions - - none of them seem to be rehashes from the other trade threads either.  I don't necessarily agree that they'll happen but they're original and not totally out of whack

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2023, 08:08:23 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Same

I know this is a prediction post, but I'd be upset if we made that trade. Would rather Reid and we keep Pritchard
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 02:03:53 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
TP, as others said, nice job putting together well thought out trade ideas.

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 08:22:09 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Same

I know this is a prediction post, but I'd be upset if we made that trade. Would rather Reid and we keep Pritchard
Do the C's really need Bamba? Rob is back and looks good. The center rotation of RWIII/Horford/Kornet is doing the job.

I too prefer Reid as he's more of a combo forward/center than a true center. That's a greater area of need than C, but what happens to Grant's minutes?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 08:35:39 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 12:53:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
How about a dream scenario for the Celtics front office where they have to do nothing...

Pacers trade Theis, a pick and cash to another team for a swing player.   Other team buys out Theis.  Boston sign Theis.   

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 01:11:21 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
How about a dream scenario for the Celtics front office where they have to do nothing...

Pacers trade Theis, a pick and cash to another team for a swing player.   Other team buys out Theis.  Boston sign Theis.   

Theis has another year on the books after this one and then a team option. I don’t think he’d get bought out this year.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 01:24:09 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Theis has another year on the books after this one and then a team option. I don’t think he’d get bought out this year.
if the first deal goes through, is it possible then to swing a deal for Theis using our trade pieces since he's no longer with the team we trade him to?  Having Theis as a backup big would be pretty good pick up for us.