Author Topic: Rumor: Raptors Moving OG Anunoby  (Read 8514 times)

Re: Rumor: Raptors Moving OG Anunoby
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2023, 10:03:13 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think getting Anunoby is far fetched, but I would be absolutely thrilled to get him.  Stevens would be a hero.

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2023, 10:12:58 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I agree with other posters that he will be out of the Cs price range and I would add that adding him could negatively effect team chemistry. A major shift in roles for this team could be a disaster.

However watching OG's trade market will be really interesting. Its not very often that a young boarder line all-star 2-way wing is on the trade market. His ceiling is up for debate and even if he has reached it at 25 he is a great #3 on a championship team (when healthy). I wont be surprised if a team that fears its window is closing on contention makes a crazy offer for OG.

The Knicks are the team that really stands out to me I can see them packaging Quickly, Toppin, Reddish and 3 first to land OG. In theory Brunson, Barrett, OG, Randle and Mitchell should be able to make noise in the playoffs. But this is the knicks I'm writing about....

The Blazers are another team, if they really want to make a push behind Dame do they make an offer of Hart, Little and picks for OG?     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2023, 10:24:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I agree with other posters that he will be out of the Cs price range and I would add that adding him could negatively effect team chemistry. A major shift in roles for this team could be a disaster.

However watching OG's trade market will be really interesting. Its not very often that a young boarder line all-star 2-way wing is on the trade market. His ceiling is up for debate and even if he has reached it at 25 he is a great #3 on a championship team (when healthy). I wont be surprised if a team that fears its window is closing on contention makes a crazy offer for OG.

The Knicks are the team that really stands out to me I can see them packaging Quickly, Toppin, Reddish and 3 first to land OG. In theory Brunson, Barrett, OG, Randle and Mitchell should be able to make noise in the playoffs. But this is the knicks I'm writing about....

The Blazers are another team, if they really want to make a push behind Dame do they make an offer of Hart, Little and picks for OG?   

Portland's problem is that their picks are tied up because of a lotto-protected pick to Chicago through 2028.  The most they could offer pick-wise are three unprotected 1sts beginning in 2025, but if they finish in the lottery this year, as is quite possible, it would be two unprotected picks beginning in 2026.  And if they're really stuck in the mud because of that contract to Dame, that Chicago pick might not convey for several years, meaning Toronto could be left with much less value.

I can see Portland wanting him, but I think the Celtics could beat anything the Blazers offer if they were so inclined.  The Knicks, sure, if they want OG they definitely have the picks to get him.  New Orleans is another team that could be an interesting fit.  They have all kinds of draft capital and the ability to match salaries without much trouble.

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2023, 10:36:41 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
If OG wants to win, he will come here

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2023, 10:37:58 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Gallinari, Grant, Pritchard, and Jackson is enough salary.  Throw in a couple of 2nd's and see if that gets it done.  I'd probably do 1 1st if I had to.

I'd move a couple of firsts in addition to that package and feel like I was still getting the better end of the bargain if they accepted. 

If it's actually possible to get OG here with minimal disruption to the rotation, I'd do it without hesitation.

Yep.  OG would take all of Grant’s minutes and more, and be a real upgrade, and I say that as a Grant fan.  I’d add the 23 and 25 1sts to that package without blinking (okay, I’d want to preserve the seconds if I’m totally honest).  It actually saves the Celtics salary next year in addition, because OG will make substantially less than PP + Gallo + Grant’s raise.  Not enough to get under the hard cap and use the big MLE, but enough where the team would have a similar or small payroll next year as this year with the same top 9 players and someone for the MLE.

A Smart-Jaylen-Tatum-OG-Rob starting lineup would dominate.

Exactly.  He's a 35-minute guy who can absorb Grant's role on both ends while also helping to cut Tatum's minutes down to sustainable levels.  He's an elite defender who can match up against guys like Durant, Giannis, Butler in the playoffs even better than Grant could. 

I see him as potentially a similar impact to Jrue in getting Milwaukee over the hump.  A key difference is that Jrue was already 30 (iirc) at the time of his trade, while OG is still just 25.  I don't think we can realistically afford him, but he's the kind of player I'd break the bank for if presented the opportunity. 

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 10:41:08 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
A team like indy could jump in.  On the verge of contending.  He'd make a good trio with Turner and Haliburton.  Other young players on that roster and they have 3 x 1st round picks next year.  2 are late picks but theirs will be in the late lottery.

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2023, 08:33:22 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I doubt we are going to go hard for Anunoby.  He is a good player, but I think he is best utilized as a pure wing, not a swing/PF.  I think he could be good in the role we would have for him but I am not sure it is what he would be looking for.  As for structuring a trade, I don't see why Toronto would want just a bunch of picks.  I read this somewhere and it also makes sense that they want to get some good players back, not just picks.

That is the genesis of my trade idea where we send Gallinari and a pick to SAN to get Poeltl and then send Poeltl and White Plus a pick to TOR for Anunoby and another small contract to make it all work.  Poeltl and White are great fits for TOR and allows them to retool vs rebuild.

In the end though, I think there will be other teams that would want/need Anunoby much more than us.  Maybe even SAN would deal directly with TOR, starting with Poeltl and picks.  I think what we could offer in a 3-way with SAN is a good deal for them, better than just a bunch of picks.  But there will be teams that could feature him more and would be willing to offer more to get him.

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2023, 05:42:03 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
There is an increasing belief that OG Anunoby is ready to move on from Toronto,

Chris Haynes.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2023, 06:18:01 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
There is an increasing belief that OG Anunoby is ready to move on from Toronto,

Chris Haynes.

Hypothetically if the cs did a deal.  Dwhite, pp, grant would go and og and thaddeus young coming in.  2 x 1st round picks going out.

They'd need a wing and could trade Gallo and 2 x 2nds and salary for crowder

PG - smart, Brog
SG - JB, Brog
SF - OG, crowder
PF - Tatum, Young
C - Rob, AL

I just can't see the cs messing with the chemistry of this group.  Brad is not Danny.  Danny though talent trumped chemistry.  Brad knows better.

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2023, 07:31:51 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
“Memphis doesn’t want New Orleans to get O.G and New Orleans doesn’t want Memphis to get O.G”

Chris Haynes

The Raptors are looking for young players in trade talks centered around OG Anunoby and Fred VanVleet.

“Guys in the league to put around the core that they have around Rookie of the Year Scottie Barnes.”

Brian Windhorst
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2023, 07:38:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
“Memphis doesn’t want New Orleans to get O.G and New Orleans doesn’t want Memphis to get O.G”

Chris Haynes

The Raptors are looking for young players in trade talks centered around OG Anunoby and Fred VanVleet.

“Guys in the league to put around the core that they have around Rookie of the Year Scottie Barnes.”

Brian Windhorst
New Orleans getting Anunoby would be such an awesome core, especially with that Lakers pick to play with
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2023, 08:11:31 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
3 team trade

Clippers - Paul, Birch
Suns - VanVleet
Raptors - Kennard, Covington, Mann
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2023, 08:23:29 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Gallinari, Grant, Pritchard, and Jackson is enough salary.  Throw in a couple of 2nd's and see if that gets it done.  I'd probably do 1 1st if I had to.

I'd move a couple of firsts in addition to that package and feel like I was still getting the better end of the bargain if they accepted. 

If it's actually possible to get OG here with minimal disruption to the rotation, I'd do it without hesitation.

Yep.  OG would take all of Grant’s minutes and more, and be a real upgrade, and I say that as a Grant fan.  I’d add the 23 and 25 1sts to that package without blinking (okay, I’d want to preserve the seconds if I’m totally honest).  It actually saves the Celtics salary next year in addition, because OG will make substantially less than PP + Gallo + Grant’s raise.  Not enough to get under the hard cap and use the big MLE, but enough where the team would have a similar or small payroll next year as this year with the same top 9 players and someone for the MLE.

A Smart-Jaylen-Tatum-OG-Rob starting lineup would dominate.

Exactly.  He's a 35-minute guy who can absorb Grant's role on both ends while also helping to cut Tatum's minutes down to sustainable levels.  He's an elite defender who can match up against guys like Durant, Giannis, Butler in the playoffs even better than Grant could. 

I see him as potentially a similar impact to Jrue in getting Milwaukee over the hump.  A key difference is that Jrue was already 30 (iirc) at the time of his trade, while OG is still just 25.  I don't think we can realistically afford him, but he's the kind of player I'd break the bank for if presented the opportunity.

I agree. It didn't look like the Bucks could get Jrue, so maybe I could dial back my pessimism about OG for the Celtics.

Toronto is at an inflection point. Why has their performance been so disappointing? I'm sure I don't understand it, but sometimes explanations just aren't adequate; sometimes it just doesn't work; sometimes you're never going to figure it out, you just have to tear it down and start over.

Would love to be a fly on the wall for Masai's conversations with Nick Nurse and with his scouts.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2023, 09:22:59 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89
While I hope we can improve the squad, we’ll have to do it without sending out the 2023 1st round pick, because we already traded that for Malcom Brogdon.

Just pointing that out since I’ve seen it proposed a few times in a number of trade discussions. We can’t trade our 1st in 2024 either, because of rules, so 2025 is the only one we have unless the recipient is okay with waiting and waiting and waiting.

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2023, 11:14:17 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
OG is too rich for our blood.