Author Topic: What exactly is Shaqs problem with Dwight Howard?  (Read 4560 times)

Re: What exactly is Shaqs problem with Dwight Howard?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2023, 06:52:55 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm offended that anyone other than Superman tries to pass himself off as Superman. Identity theft! :P
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2023, 06:58:14 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm offended that anyone other than Superman tries to pass himself off as Superman. Identity theft! :P

This man should be offended too  :P

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2023, 07:30:22 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

DC Comics should be the ones upset at both Dwight and Shaq  ;D

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2023, 07:32:59 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Right you are!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2023, 08:17:25 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Dwight Howard should be a first ballot HOF candidate. I know he’s crazy now but that guy had an insane period of years. He was incredibly good.
In their primes there's no comparison. Howard isn't in the same league as Shaq - not even close. And Shaq does have a nasty streak. I think it's part of what made him the player he was.

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2023, 12:58:19 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
He probably sees him as a clown with an over-inflated ego.  Plus the Superman stuff.

I don’t know. Dwight’s a goofball, for sure, but that’s about the worst anyone can say about him. Seems like an alright guy.

Do more research here.  D12 is a scumbag of a human being who has routinely been hated by teammates.

I tried to research and find reasons why Howard iOS a scumbag but just found clickbait slideshows and unsubstantiated comments like “he’s just not a winner.”

What makes Howard a scumbag?

Besides child abuse allegations and 5 kids with 5 different women?
5 kids with 5 different women does not make someone a scumbag.  Child abuse is a different matter of course, though I believe it was discipline with a belt which is how a lot of kids in Dwight's up bringing were actually raised.  Similar to the Adrian Peterson switch issue.

Here the argument appears to be that fathering 5 children with 5 different women is not inherently bad and some forms of child abuse are not as bad as others. The “switch issue” Moranis refers to is when in 2014 Peterson pleaded no contest to misdemeanor reckless assault after whipping his 4-year-old son with a tree branch, leaving cuts and bruises on the boy’s legs, backs, buttocks, hand and scrotum. In 2018 Peterson reported that he still uses a belt and switch on his son on occasion. Peterson actions, referenced as a switch issue, have been widely condemned including very publicly by Vikings hall of famer chris Carter, media members, health workers, social workers and those in the mental health field.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 01:06:33 AM by celticsclay »

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2023, 06:49:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m legitimately curious:  if a team could go back in time and draft Howard or Ben Wallace, how many take Wallace?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2023, 08:02:08 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
I’m legitimately curious:  if a team could go back in time and draft Howard or Ben Wallace, how many take Wallace?

Great question.

I’m going to say that 90% of teams would take Wallace. Wallace is more of a proven winner. Sure, Dwight has had some playoff success. But there is a world of difference between dragging your team to the finals in the weak east and losing in 5 and going to the finals and dominating the Shaq and Kobe Lakers on the biggest stage of all. I think most teams would also appreciate Wallace’s no-nonsense approach over Howard’s relaxed, somewhat nonchalant and goofy attitude, which had the tendency to annoy his teammates and coaches.

Dwight is the more talented offensive player, that’s not even up for debate. Wallace was actually somewhat of a liability on that end of the floor. So I think the debate is closer than many will think. Both players really needed to right team surrounding them to have the impact and history of winning they did. They were both pretty lucky in that regard.

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2023, 08:20:38 AM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

Right you are!

Let’s not even discuss Lebron in regards to Elvis “The King” then.

Or Jerry Lawler for that matter lol
Yup

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2023, 11:14:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Tangent, but Dwight’s team got into a brawl today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1628226155403681793/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1628226155403681793&currentTweetUser=TheNBACentral

Looks like Dwight wasn’t involved, but one of the coaches was.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2023, 11:45:31 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Tangent, but Dwight’s team got into a brawl today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1628226155403681793/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1628226155403681793&currentTweetUser=TheNBACentral

Looks like Dwight wasn’t involved, but one of the coaches was.

See roy. He is not a scumbag.

« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2023, 08:52:48 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Just saw some highlights from that league.  There's a dude on Tainan TSG that is an absolute house.  7'5" 360lbs.  Dwarves Dwight on the court.  Guy is massive.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 09:05:22 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd take Howard.  I don't even think it is all that close.  Wallace basically had a 7 year peak which started 5 seasons into his career.  During that peak he was a 4 time DPOY with 5 1st Team Defense and 1 2nd Team Defense along with 3 2nd Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  He led the league in rebounding twice and scored above 8 ppg just twice.  He had 3 seasons over 3 or more bpg (leading the league once).  He led the league in Defensive Win Shares 4 times.  He had 3 seasons of MVP votes finishing a best of 7th.

Howard's prime was over a decade, he had 4 separate 20+/13+ seasons and 14 seasons in which he averaged a double/double (and didn't have less than 12 ppg until his last 3 seasons).  He led the league in rebounding 5 times and blocks twice (though never 3 per game).   He had the 3 DPOY and 4 1st Team All Defense with 1 2nd Team All Defense and had 5 1st Team All NBA, 1 2nd Team All NBA, and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  He had 4 seasons in which he led the league in defensive win shares.  Howard had 5 seasons of MVP votes, including a 2nd place finish and 3 other top 5 finishes.

Wallace arguably had a slightly higher absolute peak from an impact standpoint, but it was just so much shorter and he was just so much worse offensively, that if you were drafting them and had their full career, Howard is the easy no brainer choice every single time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2023, 09:24:00 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I'd take Howard.  I don't even think it is all that close.  Wallace basically had a 7 year peak which started 5 seasons into his career.  During that peak he was a 4 time DPOY with 5 1st Team Defense and 1 2nd Team Defense along with 3 2nd Team All NBA and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  He led the league in rebounding twice and scored above 8 ppg just twice.  He had 3 seasons over 3 or more bpg (leading the league once).  He led the league in Defensive Win Shares 4 times.  He had 3 seasons of MVP votes finishing a best of 7th.

Howard's prime was over a decade, he had 4 separate 20+/13+ seasons and 14 seasons in which he averaged a double/double (and didn't have less than 12 ppg until his last 3 seasons).  He led the league in rebounding 5 times and blocks twice (though never 3 per game).   He had the 3 DPOY and 4 1st Team All Defense with 1 2nd Team All Defense and had 5 1st Team All NBA, 1 2nd Team All NBA, and 2 3rd Team All NBA.  He had 4 seasons in which he led the league in defensive win shares.  Howard had 5 seasons of MVP votes, including a 2nd place finish and 3 other top 5 finishes.

Wallace arguably had a slightly higher absolute peak from an impact standpoint, but it was just so much shorter and he was just so much worse offensively, that if you were drafting them and had their full career, Howard is the easy no brainer choice every single time.

The problem is, Dwight's attitude doesn't make him a no-brainer.  I mean, the guy should have been a perfect fit next to Kobe, and then Harden.  If he could have essentially been a rich man's version of Robert Williams, he'd still have a job in the league.  Instead, he wanted touches for himself, at the expense of Kobe and Harden, despite never developing much of an interior game.

Howard was certainly more talented than Wallace, but as a coach do you want the dedicated, hard-working leader that a team galvanizes around, or do you want the unserious clown who won't play his best role?

« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2023, 09:59:32 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The problem is, Dwight's attitude doesn't make him a no-brainer.  I mean, the guy should have been a perfect fit next to Kobe, and then Harden.  If he could have essentially been a rich man's version of Robert Williams, he'd still have a job in the league.  Instead, he wanted touches for himself, at the expense of Kobe and Harden, despite never developing much of an interior game.

Howard was certainly more talented than Wallace, but as a coach do you want the dedicated, hard-working leader that a team galvanizes around, or do you want the unserious clown who won't play his best role?
He didn't play with Kobe until his 9th year and the Lakers were 42-34 in his 76 games that year (3-3 without him).  Kobe was 34 and clearly on the downswing (they were 42-36 with him, 3-1 without him), then Pau played 42 games and Nash only 50.  They had very little consistently a guy in Kobe that couldn't let go of who he was.  I really don't fault Dwight for that season as the Lakers were absolutely better with him on the floor (their bench was atrocious, especially with all the injuries).  The Lakers got rid of Dwight and then just cratered and started racking up very high draft picks.

Howard then went to Houston for his 10th, 11th, and 12th seasons (his 11th year he played just 41 games).  Houston was a 45 win team the year before he got there (lost in the 1st round in 6) and then in his 3 years, they won 54 (1st round), 56 (WCF), 41 (1st round), but that last year he was 12 years in and on the wrong side of 30.  I'm not sure that is as much a disaster as you are remembering.  That last year seemed to go poorly, but they also fired McHale during the season, and in all 3 years, the Rockets were better when Howard was on the floor as opposed to on the bench.

12 years into Wallace's career he got traded mid-season from the 33 win Bulls to the 45 win Cavs that lost in the 2nd round (to Boston) and the Cavs were 11-11 with Wallace. 

You give me just Orlando Howard and I'd be good as that was better than Wallace's entire career.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip