Author Topic: CelticsBlog Trade Deadline Rumors  (Read 6556 times)

CelticsBlog Trade Deadline Rumors
« on: January 18, 2023, 06:51:58 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
CelticsBlog has collected some intel on what we’re hearing related to Boston and the trade market, as we sit about three weeks from trade deadline day.

Boston has registered interest in Jakob Poeltl of the Spurs. The Celtics and Spurs have become trade partners twice over the last year, doing the Derrick White deal ahead of last season’s deadline and the Vonleh trade a couple of weeks ago.

On Poeltl, sources told CelticsBlog that the Celtics were more interested before Robert Williams made his return to the court.

With Williams back in the fold, Boston feels less of a need to do a trade for another big. In addition, other sources said that it’s unlikely the Celtics and Poeltl would be a long-term match, due to the center’s desire to start and land a $20 million per season deal this offseason.

League sources indicate the Celtics have been active in trade talks for players who make under $7 million for this season. This indicates Boston has been trying to use either their $6.9 million traded player exception (TPE) from the Juancho Hernangomez deal before it expires on January 19 or the $5.9 million TPE from the Dennis Schroder trade.

One source close to the situation told CelticsBlog, “It’s probably not going to happen. Using a trade exception that small requires finding the exact right player. That’s hard to pull off.”

Other sources said the Celtics appear to be most focused on adding a wing ahead of the trade deadline.

One rival team told CelticsBlog, “They want someone else to take the load of (Jayson) Tatum and (Jaylen) Brown. Brad (Stevens) and Joe (Mazzulla) know they can’t be playing 40 minutes per night and make a Finals run. Tatum wasn’t joking when he said he was gassed last June.”

Other sources said the Celtics aren’t looking to move players in a deal for a wing. Instead, Boston has focused on moving draft picks for a lower-salaried player.

Multiple sources said Boston has dangled a protected first-round pick in trade talks or multiple second-round picks.

Various sources told CelticsBlog, “They aren’t moving a rotation guy. They think their top 8-to-9 guys are solid and match up well with anyone they’ll face in the playoffs. They’re looking to add a regular season guy, not necessarily a playoff guy.” “I bet nothing gets done via trade. Moving another first is risky. That’s getting into a place where you are putting very little into the draft. You need those picks to backfill depth behind what’s going to be a really expensive team in a few years,” a source close to trade talks said. “I bet they’ll be more active in the buyout market.”

The luxury tax isn’t a barrier for Boston, according to multiple sources. Brad Stevens has the support of ownership to add to the tax bill if he believes it increases the chance of a title.

One source said, “They’re all-in on winning the title. If that means spending a little more, so be it. Yeah, they dumped (Noah) Vonleh, but that was smart. They saved a little money to have it to spend later. The owners want a title as much as the front office, coaches and players do. And they know that means spending some dough.”

One league source characterized the Celtics as “stealthy”. They said, “You never hear about anything they are doing until they do it. Who had them getting (Derrick) White last year? What about (Malcolm) Brogdon this summer? No one. Brad (Stevens), Mike (Zarren) and that whole crew keep their business to themselves. Our running joke is ‘If you hear about it with Boston, it ain’t happening!’ and that’s true. They don’t really have leaks there anymore.”
Various sources told CelticsBlog that they expect Boston to be a top destination on the buyout market.

One source said, “They don’t need to make a trade. Why bother? They don’t need anything. Brad (Stevens) already gave Joe (everything he needs). And that Gallo (Danilo Gallinari) exception (Disabled Player Exception) will allow them to outspend everyone else for a buyout guy. They can let the deadline pass and then just pick off the best free agent or two for playoff depth. And vets will all want the Celtics because they can get paid and they can win.”

One rival team executive summed it up by telling CelticsBlog, “They’re in first place. When they are whole, they are beating teams by a million. Making a trade would be stupid. And I’m not just saying that in hopes they don’t get stronger. Brad (Stevens) is still really a coach at his core. He knows you can’t mess with good chemistry and their chemistry is up there with the best in the league.

—————————

Source: Keith Smith (CelticsBlog)

https://www.celticsblog.com/2023/1/18/23560508/boston-celtics-trade-intel-three-weeks-from-the-trade-deadline
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 07:08:14 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: CelticsBlog Trade Deadline Rumors
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 07:19:26 PM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wonder what people think the team’s biggest need is, a wing to backup the Jays or a big to backup Timelord and Al?  I’ve been undecided myself and can’t think of a wing that’s good enough and obtainable.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 08:41:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
What sources does CelticsBlog have?  Keith Smith has no insider info.  I do like how he attributes an alleged direct quotation to “various sources”.

He’s a fraud.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 08:45:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
 I think we could use a backup big and a wing.

I would consider kicking  the tires on Mo Bamba for the big.  He is out of favor IN ORL , is tall and can shoot.  I think he is an upgrade over Kornett.   Of course if Brad had not traded away Bol Bol we would not be having that discussion. 

The question is which wing?

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2023, 07:39:37 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I wonder what people think the team’s biggest need is, a wing to backup the Jays or a big to backup Timelord and Al?  I’ve been undecided myself and can’t think of a wing that’s good enough and obtainable.

Regular season it’s a wing to limit load on Jays. Playoffs it’s a big that’s good enough to moonlight in the rotation if Rob or Al have to miss games for whatever reason.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 07:51:34 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
What sources does CelticsBlog have?  Keith Smith has no insider info.  I do like how he attributes an alleged direct quotation to “various sources”.

He’s a fraud.

It's funny, seems like lot's of people think many sources we quote are frauds.  Don't know why?  I'll listen to what Keith has to say.  In 2020, he left his job and got hired by NBC to work NBA coverage.  That all fell through due to Covid, but I bet he has more connections using his other media outlets than anyone in this forum!  Let's not forget, Keith was the first to hit us with the Disney option in 2020 as well.

Yeah, I'd say Keith knows what he's doing.  matter of fact, "HE'S THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT"

;D

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 07:56:37 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He’s a fraud.

It's funny, seems like lot's of people think many sources we quote are frauds.  Don't know why?  I'll listen to what Keith has to say.  In 2020, he left his job and got hired by NBC to work NBA coverage.  That all fell through due to Covid, but I bet he has more connections using his other media outlets than anyone in this forum!  Let's not forget, Keith was the first to hit us with the Disney option in 2020 as well.

Yeah, I'd say Keith knows what he's doing.  matter of fact, "HE'S THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT"

;D

Keith, is that you?

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2023, 08:02:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He’s a fraud.

;D

Again...

Various sources told CelticsBlog, “They aren’t moving a rotation guy. They think their top 8-to-9 guys are solid and match up well with anyone they’ll face in the playoffs. They’re looking to add a regular season guy, not necessarily a playoff guy.”

Were they talking at the same time, saying the same thing?

But, Smith has literally been making nonsense up like this for years.  Nobody cares if you're printing lies or imaginary rumors, so long as they're entertaining.  We saw that years ago with CelticThug, and most "insiders" not named Shams or Woj (although I'd add Chris Haynes as being pretty reliable.  It seems like guys who work at YahooSports have some connections passed down to them.)

According to Smith's article, he seemingly has several Celtics sources that have insider information about the front office.  This despite the Celtics having perhaps the most secure front office in the league regarding inside information.  Trade rumors and leaks just don't come from our side.  These "sources" just don't exist.

And no, I don't think he has more / better sources than anybody on this blog, at least in terms of connections to players.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 08:07:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

He’s a fraud.

;D

Again...

Various sources told CelticsBlog, “They aren’t moving a rotation guy. They think their top 8-to-9 guys are solid and match up well with anyone they’ll face in the playoffs. They’re looking to add a regular season guy, not necessarily a playoff guy.”

But, Smith has literally been making nonsense up like this for years.  Nobody cares if you're printing lies or imaginary rumors, so long as they're entertaining.  We saw that years ago with CelticThug, and most "insiders" not named Shams or Woj (although I'd add Chris Haynes as being pretty reliable.  It seems like guys who work at YahooSports have some connections passed down to them.)

According to Smith's article, he seemingly has several Celtics sources that have insider information about the front office.  This despite the Celtics having perhaps the most secure front office in the league regarding inside information.  Trade rumors and leaks just don't come from our side.  These "sources" just don't exist.

And no, I don't think he has more / better sources than anybody on this blog, at least in terms of connections to players.

The famed Deli Guy source was the best ever.
Yup

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 08:42:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He’s a fraud.

;D

Again...

The famed Deli Guy source was the best ever.

Deli Guy and CROTOR are in the imaginary CB HOF.

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 09:18:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
What's Celticsblog?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 09:34:29 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
What's Celticsblog?

Haha.  An offshoot of SB Nation that clearly doesn't value fan loyalty, its unpaid labor, or the promises they make?

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 09:36:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Valid sources or not, there is nothing really new in any of this.  The bottom line of it all is that the Celtics like their team but will try to add something through the buy out market using the DPE, that allows them to offer a little more than a vet min contract.

Not exactly big news.

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Valid sources or not, there is nothing really new in any of this.  The bottom line of it all is that the Celtics like their team but will try to add something through the buy out market using the DPE, that allows them to offer a little more than a vet min contract.

Not exactly big news.

And that our current "needs" are depth at big man and wing.

The same story we've all known since August.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 09:54:47 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Not exactly big news.

And that our current "needs" are depth at big man and wing.

The same story we've all known since August.

And they are inquiring about players that fit our TPEs.  Who woulda Thunk?