Author Topic: Renewed / regurgitated Poeltl rumor  (Read 6949 times)

Re: Renewed / regurgitated Poeltl rumor
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2023, 03:34:53 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 618
Sounds like many are buying into Poeltl for Pritchard + Gallinari (assuming that SAN would do this and we don't have to add any picks).

I analyze this from two perspectives, impact on the team this year and what position are we in for the team next year.  In terms of this year, I think Poeltl does help us more than Pritchard (Gallinari I assume won't play at all) can for the rest of the season and playoffs.  Pritchard does have some value but what Poeltl can give is is probably more valuable, harder to otherwise find.  If we trade Pritchard, we may be able to find a comparable 3rd string guard from the FAs or in a trade for a second rounder or something.  No way we find a back up center that easily.

The other perspective is where does this leave us moving forward beyond this season.  I am all for the "all in" mentality but the reality is you can't be entirely short sighted.  I like Pritchard but I think he is easily replaced moving forward.  Gallinari, not quite so easily.  The result is that we go into next season with with two (Grant and Poeltl) unsigned bench bigs.  We could loose them both.  Either is going to cost a lot more than Gallinari would have cost.

I am trying, but I just can't talk myself into this.  I don't think Poeltl helps us enough this season and next season, I would rather have Gallinari and Pritchard.

An absurd assumption to make tho, right?
Reddish is worth 2 2nd rounders, Poetl is worth no draft compensation?

If the price is Gallo and Pritchard ofc you do it. It positions us better to win a chip this year.

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 03:39:23 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Sounds like many are buying into Poeltl for Pritchard + Gallinari (assuming that SAN would do this and we don't have to add any picks).

I analyze this from two perspectives, impact on the team this year and what position are we in for the team next year.  In terms of this year, I think Poeltl does help us more than Pritchard (Gallinari I assume won't play at all) can for the rest of the season and playoffs.  Pritchard does have some value but what Poeltl can give is is probably more valuable, harder to otherwise find.  If we trade Pritchard, we may be able to find a comparable 3rd string guard from the FAs or in a trade for a second rounder or something.  No way we find a back up center that easily.

The other perspective is where does this leave us moving forward beyond this season.  I am all for the "all in" mentality but the reality is you can't be entirely short sighted.  I like Pritchard but I think he is easily replaced moving forward.  Gallinari, not quite so easily.  The result is that we go into next season with with two (Grant and Poeltl) unsigned bench bigs.  We could loose them both.  Either is going to cost a lot more than Gallinari would have cost.

I am trying, but I just can't talk myself into this.  I don't think Poeltl helps us enough this season and next season, I would rather have Gallinari and Pritchard.

If the price is Gallo and Pritchard ofc you do it. It positions us better to win a chip this year.

Yeah.  I’m not on team Poeltl, but if the cost were simply Pritchard and Gallo, that’s a total no-brainer.  It’s when the 1st round pick that the Spurs want gets added into the equation that the sensibility of such a trade falls apart.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2023, 03:46:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah.  I’m not on team Poeltl, but if the cost were simply Pritchard and Gallo, that’s a total no-brainer.  It’s when the 1st round pick that the Spurs want gets added into the equation that the sensibility of such a trade falls apart.
I'd probably do Gallo and the 25 1st (lotto protected).  I'm not sure Boston could do better than Poeltl with that package and we could use the depth down low. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2023, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I don't think Pritchard gets traded. 

Whatever the team's reservations about the health of RW or AH, those same reservations exist for MS and MB.  That said if the team's opinion of JD Davison is that he's an NBA player and can be the 4th guard, Pritchard could be traded for insurance on the team's bigs.

If the asking price for Poeltl is a first, I'd rather try to pry Vanderbilt out of Utah for PP and/or a picks than send a similar package to SA for a 1/2 season rental.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:56:45 PM by Wretch »

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2023, 07:59:17 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't think the cs need poeltl.  It's good Rob insurance and that's a lot to give up for a few month rental.  Gallo pp and a 1st??  That's a package to get Derrick white.  So if your trading all of that it can't be for a few month rental.  If you can't get a GW replacement (if he can't be resigned) that fits better and is signed for a few more years that's one thing.  I'd rather they wait for the buyout market

I'd also rather the ca try to pry bamba from orlando.  He's a good fit this year and beyond and he can play with either Al or Rob

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2023, 08:19:42 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
I really don’t think Brad will trade Gallo this year. And without Gallo, salary matching will be very hard. If we weren’t the #1 team then maybe flipping GWill for Poeltl will be acceptable, with the assumption that GWill won’t resign wih us. But perhaps that scenario would be more realistic in the off season.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2023, 09:43:44 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I'm lost at the part where he functions on this team. He plays a different defensive style than our best selves. He can't play alongside our best big.

He's gonna cost a draft pick right? Likely a 1st? Thats a big bullet to lose for a questionable fit and doubtful long term staying power.

I agree, if the Cs are trading for a big then a 4/5 type big who has enough perimeter offense to play along side Rob but enough size to play the 5 makes more sense then a traditional 5 man.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2023, 04:45:35 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I genuinely love Pritchard, but in a playoff run, we simply won't need him with our current depth. If one of Marcus, Brogdan, White, Jaylen go down, we should be fine.

However, if one of Horford, Timelord, or Grant goes down, we suddenly are relying on Kornet, and that is NOT ideal in a playoff series.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2023, 07:58:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Boston has maintained an interest in Poeltl for several seasons now and is continuing to monitor his market, according to team sources who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The sticking point has been, as always, price. San Antonio has made it known to interested parties throughout the league the Spurs want two first-round picks for Poeltl, according to team and league sources, which was the same stance they took on Derrick White last season. 7 mins ago – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

That's obviously a hard no for the Celts.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2023, 07:59:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I genuinely love Pritchard, but in a playoff run, we simply won't need him with our current depth. If one of Marcus, Brogdan, White, Jaylen go down, we should be fine.

However, if one of Horford, Timelord, or Grant goes down, we suddenly are relying on Kornet, and that is NOT ideal in a playoff series.

It also helps that JD looks at a minimum capable of playing the 3rd pg role in the future.

I’m not sure if there will be a big man on the trade market who fits the Cs and they have the assets to land. It might make more sense to use Pritchard on a draft day trade to target a young vet big or move up in draft to target a big for the future.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2023, 08:11:51 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The opinions range from don't think they will give up Gallinari but maybe Grant, to yeah we needed him, throw in a pick with Pritchard and Gallinari.  The mean seems to be Pritchard and Gallinari.  Most here would jump at this deal (but not all).  I doubt that SAN would jump at this.  They probably want more, but it is not a bad deal for a player they may lose anyway in a season where they are not going anywhere.  Pritchard is a useful player and Gallinari, once he is back, can be flipped.

My final conclusion is that this is not going to happen and I am OK with that.  It felt like we overpaid for White when that trade went down.  I still think we probably did overpay some but that has worked out.  He has settled in as an important player on the team.  I don't think Poeltl is good enough to overpay for.  I think even just Pritchard and Gallinari straight up could turn out to be an overpay (for example, if we don't resign him).

Maybe OKC will make Mike Muscala available.

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2023, 09:13:10 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I think about 90/10 against. Doesn't make sense for Poeltl, for his career - as much as he might want to play for a contender. Toronto (who traded him away in the first place) looks like a better destination for him.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2023, 09:28:25 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Boston has maintained an interest in Poeltl for several seasons now and is continuing to monitor his market, according to team sources who were granted anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly. The sticking point has been, as always, price. San Antonio has made it known to interested parties throughout the league the Spurs want two first-round picks for Poeltl, according to team and league sources, which was the same stance they took on Derrick White last season. 7 mins ago – via Jared Weiss @ The Athletic

It’s going to be a hard no for anyone.  Derrick White had 3.5 years left on his contract.  Poeltl has half a season.  Also, Derrick White is better.

But in general, you don’t trade a 1st for a 1/2-year rental reserve, which is what Poeltl is to the Celtics.  Some other team who needs a starter might be more interested, although I’m not sure what team that would be.

Relatedly, Stevens has done a terrific job constructing this team.  We have the best record in the league, and our most immediate need is a big wing for the 8th-9th man in the rotation.  Someone like Danilo Gallinari.  I don’t think he can make it back this year, but I’d also like to keep him around for next year, because it’s easy to see how well he’d fit in.

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

It’s going to be a hard no for anyone.  Derrick White had 3.5 years left on his contract.  Poeltl has half a season.  Also, Derrick White is better.

But in general, you don’t trade a 1st for a 1/2-year rental reserve, which is what Poeltl is to the Celtics.  Some other team who needs a starter might be more interested, although I’m not sure what team that would be.

Relatedly, Stevens has done a terrific job constructing this team.  We have the best record in the league, and our most immediate need is a big wing for the 8th-9th man in the rotation.  Someone like Danilo Gallinari.  I don’t think he can make it back this year, but I’d also like to keep him around for next year, because it’s easy to see how well he’d fit in.

I had not seen this latest report earlier.  Two firsts?  They are dreaming.  White is a better, more reliable player who was under contract for 3.5 more years at reasonable money.  And even that felt like an overpay.  If this is true, no way this happens with the Celtics, at least I hope not, and probably not anyone. 

And I agree that I think Gallinari is going to help the team next season and at very low money.  It is unfortunate that he is going to be no help this season but if you trade him, you are giving up something.  Next season, Gallinari may be better than Poeltl.  No harm in staying in touch to see if the price drops late in the day on the 9th, but otherwise, this is a major pass.

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2023, 10:06:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Also, Derrick White is better.

Next season, Gallinari may be better than Poeltl.

A better / potentially better fit on our team, I won't argue with.

But objectively better?  I think Poeltl offers a lot that he's not getting credit for.  Despite only playing 26 minutes per night (20th), among centers he's 14th in scoring, 13th in rebounding, 8th in assists, 8th in steals, 12th in blocks, 13th in FTA, and 4th in FG%.

He's arguably a top-10 center, and unquestionably top-15.  I wouldn't want to start him next to Timelord, but if the long-term plan is to have Grant replace Horford, then having an above-average center in tandem with Timelord would give us 48 minutes of very good center play.

But, I can't imagine that Gallo + Pritchard + two #2s gets it done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes