Author Topic: 2023 Draft Bigs  (Read 7170 times)

Re: 2023 Draft Bigs
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 12:59:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I recently wanted more of  Trayce Jackson-Davis and looked into him further. He really is an interesting prospect. Son of former NBA player Dale Davis, and his stats this season are truly outlier for a big man.

On the negative side he doesn't look dominate when I watch Indiana play, he is slightly undersized for a Center, he is listed at 6'9 245 and is reported to have a 7'2 wingspan. That makes him roughly the same size as Bam but I wouldn't be surprised to see him measure slightly smaller then that. He has not shown any range as a perimeter shooter and I would have thought this would have been a point of emphasis as a 23 year old senior with clear NBA ability. The fact that he will be 23 at the time of the draft is also a red flag for a draft prospect.

The positive side is his production. The only other high major college big man I have been able to find since the 90s with his combination of passing and shot blocking was senior year Tim Duncan! His traditional stats are great as a 20pt 10rb big and his advanced stats are elite. He is also shooting 71% from the FT line on almost 6 attempts this traditionally is an indicator that players can develop an outside shot.

With all that I am tempted to move him up slightly in my rankings and suspect that analytics heavy front offices like Memphis will have him rank higher then other teams. For the Celtics he could be an interesting pick because of his potential to play Al's role in the future.
I've been a very big fan of his for a couple of seasons now. Would absolutely take him. The jump his passing has made this season (doubling his assists) has really hammered that home for me.

I like him.  I don’t think he’s special, but I do think he’s a viable NBA reserve big.

I’d still rather go with ceiling, however, given our depth chart and lack of picks.
I'd be tempted to go double big, depending on how the G Williams situation plays out. A draft of Jackson-Davis and Nnaji, for instance, would be perfectly fine with me.

Having said that, we will likely go with neither, because my draft dreams never come true.

We only have one pick, tho.  Either Houston if the pick winds up at 33, or Portland at around 40.  We don’t have any others, although a number of sites have this wrong.
Ha, that's definitely where I've gone wrong too ;D Taking mock draft sites at face value bites me again.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 10:16:02 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2023, 02:35:04 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Berke Buyuktuncel looks a little slow footed but high BBQ. Has an old man game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqWrGUC8LV4&t=23s

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2023, 02:42:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Do we have a shot to get Grant Nelson?

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2023, 03:09:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

If he declares I suspect he goes in the mid to late second and is signed to a 2-way deal. He is an interesting prospect but I worry that in his two games (1 as a soph and 1 this season) vs major conference teams (Arizona and UK) he really struggled. I'm not sold that his game will transfer when he has to consistently play against NBA level athletes.

However if he proves that he can consistently hit NBA 3s and that he truly is 6'11 with high end perimeter mobility he becomes and interesting gamble for a team.

I dont think he would be a gamble I'd want the Cs to take given how important it will become to hit on a second round pick particularly one that's likely in the 30s.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

If he declares I suspect he goes in the mid to late second and is signed to a 2-way deal. He is an interesting prospect but I worry that in his two games (1 as a soph and 1 this season) vs major conference teams (Arizona and UK) he really struggled. I'm not sold that his game will transfer when he has to consistently play against NBA level athletes.

However if he proves that he can consistently hit NBA 3s and that he truly is 6'11 with high end perimeter mobility he becomes and interesting gamble for a team.

I dont think he would be a gamble I'd want the Cs to take given how important it will become to hit on a second round pick particularly one that's likely in the 30s.

Thanks 38. TP.

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2023, 11:42:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Donovan Klingan from UConn would be interesting with our 2nd round pick. Likely to be available?

Spurs win tonight v Portland hurts our chance at 33 right??

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2023, 11:57:14 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Donovan Klingan from UConn would be interesting with our 2nd round pick. Likely to be available?

yea but at least i believe it helps us get 35 instead of 36 if we miss out on the rocket's pick

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2023, 07:58:37 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Nelson has to work on his shot no doubt but now he's the focal point of the defense. In the NBA he'll be a bench role player that has some skill and is 6'11".

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2023, 10:36:40 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88

Nelson has to work on his shot no doubt but now he's the focal point of the defense. In the NBA he'll be a bench role player that has some skill and is 6'11".

Brad has been experimenting with Samanic and Muscala. They let Samanic walk and Musky won’t be around forever so there’s at least a possibility Nelson fills that role.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2023, 08:43:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

yea but at least i believe it helps us get 35 instead of 36 if we miss out on the rocket's pick

I think it is pretty likely Portland will lose tomorrow v GS Warriors unless GS purposely wants to lose to stay at 6 (v Kings) rather than go to 5 (to play Suns).  Clippers (who play Suns) and GS play at same time tomorrow, so it will be interesting. Portland's incentive to lose is much stronger than GS, so I suspect they will, which would mean in the worst case we get the 35th pick.  Not bad, given that we gave up the 29th pick for Brogdon.

I'd take a gamble on someone like Klingan if he declares. Reminds me of Kessler with Jazz; is that a fair comp?  Similar size and length, good shot blocking and rebounding. Kessler may have more nimble feet.  Klingan aspires describes himself as a combination of Jokic and Embiid; how I wish!!

Rumors are that he could climb into the 1st round.  Sonogo might be decent back up power forward. Strong rebounder. Slotted to go in this range I think.  I'm pretty uneducated on the draft this year, but I sure hope we focus on size, we are so rich with guards.

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2023, 09:13:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I think it is pretty likely Portland will lose tomorrow v GS Warriors unless GS purposely wants to lose to stay at 6 (v Kings) rather than go to 5 (to play Suns).  Clippers (who play Suns) and GS play at same time tomorrow, so it will be interesting. Portland's incentive to lose is much stronger than GS, so I suspect they will, which would mean in the worst case we get the 35th pick.  Not bad, given that we gave up the 29th pick for Brogdon.

I'd take a gamble on someone like Klingan if he declares. Reminds me of Kessler with Jazz; is that a fair comp?  Similar size and length, good shot blocking and rebounding. Kessler may have more nimble feet.  Klingan aspires describes himself as a combination of Jokic and Embiid; how I wish!!

Rumors are that he could climb into the 1st round.  Sonogo might be decent back up power forward. Strong rebounder. Slotted to go in this range I think.  I'm pretty uneducated on the draft this year, but I sure hope we focus on size, we are so rich with guards.

Clingan is the prime example of a “pre draft” player. If he returns to UConn he could be a top 15 pick. I suspect that if he declares it means teams have indicated he will go in the 1st round. His mobility at his extreme size makes him a much better nba prospect than his stats would indicate. Adem Bona is a physically different player who fills the same prospect niche. Either player could be worth a targeted trade up. #35 + Pritchard for Clingan or Bona wouldn’t shock me.

Sanogo is a great college player but I worry he won’t be big/long enough to play effective drop coverage or quick enough to switch on the perimeter.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2023, 09:23:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Clingan is the prime example of a “pre draft” player. If he returns to UConn he could be a top 15 pick. I suspect that if he declares it means teams have indicated he will go in the 1st round. His mobility at his extreme size makes him a much better nba prospect than his stats would indicate. Adem Bona is a physically different player who fills the same prospect niche. Either player could be worth a targeted trade up. #35 + Pritchard for Clingan or Bona wouldn’t shock me.

Clingan just announced today on Twitter he is returning to UConn  for sophomore season. Durn.  I was hoping we could figure out a way to get him.

You prefer Bona to Nnaji? 

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2023, 01:18:46 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Wake Forest's Bobi Klintman. Has good feel of the game. Rebounds, defends, shoots the 3 ball and attacks the rim. Somewhat Horford's eventual replacement (that's a stretch of course 😁). Small sample size but yeah it's a 2nd rounder.
After him (in descending order), Vukcecic, Bona,  Coleman Hawkins and Sagono come to mind.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 01:53:40 AM by greenhead85 »

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2023, 09:48:04 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Wake Forest's Bobi Klintman. Has good feel of the game. Rebounds, defends, shoots the 3 ball and attacks the rim. Somewhat Horford's eventual replacement (that's a stretch of course 😁). Small sample size but yeah it's a 2nd rounder.
After him (in descending order), Vukcecic, Bona,  Coleman Hawkins and Sagono come to mind.

Seems more like a 6'10" guard, but nice upside. Don't see the Horford comp.