Poll

Would you trade key players and picks for Towns?

Yes
4 (26.7%)
No
11 (73.3%)
Yes but no picks.
0 (0%)
Only if another deal for depth came too.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Poll: On new big three.  (Read 967 times)

Poll: On new big three.
« on: January 11, 2023, 01:26:37 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pretty simple would you trade,

Smart, Grant, TL and two 1st
for
Towns?

Just thinking it might be a buy low opportunity right now on Towns. He would be the big to neutralize Embiid or Jokic in potential matchups. C's with a new big three would be exciting.

Re: Poll: On new big three.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

for
Towns?

Just thinking it might be a buy low opportunity right now on Towns. He would be the big to neutralize Embiid or Jokic in potential matchups. C's with a new big three would be exciting.
as mentioned in the other thread where you brought this up, there's no need for a 'big 3' and far less of a need to blow up the team with the best record and punt on this season just so you can have a 'big 3'. 

trade guts the team's depth - leaves only Brogdon as the sole dependable bench player AND you're relying White to get it together on offense instead of being the guy we saw last year and the last month this season.   your only back up bigs are Kornet and Blake AND you're relying an awful lot on Al to play big minutes with this bunch. 

horrible deal for the C's.  great for Minny because although they lose the best player by far in KAT, Timelord provides the same level of D, if not better because he actually plays with effort, and this allows Minny to transition towards Edwards as their number 1 player with a top defender next to him in Smart.    also, having Smart would allow them to move on from Russell to acquire more depth or a better second banana at the wing position.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 01:51:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I voted no, at least not mid season.  Maybe in the off season (of course, then Grant is out of the deal).  I like Towns.  Adding him to Tatum and Brown would be formidable.  The trade as posed though gives up a lot of depth.

From MIN perspective, Brogdon might be a good fit.  They could play Edwards at SF and slot Brogdon as a starting combo guard. 

How about Brogdon, Gallinari, and 2 Picks for Towns?  Probably not enough for MIN, but I think it leaves us in a better place overall:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Towns
RWIII

White, Grant, Horford, Hauser, Pritchard.

For MIN:

Brogdon
Russell
Edwards
Gallinari
Gobert

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 01:53:55 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

for
Towns?

Talent wise, sure.  But I wouldn't want to trade 3 competitive guys for a guy who doesn't seem very interested in winning.  I don't like Towns' intangibles.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2023, 03:35:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Towns can't be traded until the summer I don't think because of the contract extension he signed.

Unless Boston wins the title this year, I'd do something like that in the summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 05:08:32 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Towns can't be traded until the summer I don't think because of the contract extension he signed.

Unless Boston wins the title this year, I'd do something like that in the summer.

This didn't come up when I tried a trade on FANSPO trade machine so I don't know.  In any case, I think an offseason trade is more likely (not that any trade is likely).

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 06:23:19 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I think we’ll be avoiding Rob trades till it’s too late.  Just doesn’t seem to be any likelihood that he’ll be able to sustain good health. Trade him while he’s got value might be a strategy worth considering.