Author Topic: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?  (Read 10878 times)

Re: Will we use the $6.9 million TPE? If so, on who?
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2023, 10:43:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Poof it's gone.

Good read on why we did not use it

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/01/why-celtics-allowed-juancho-hernangomez-trade-exception-worth-69-million-to-expire-unused.html
Not willing to spend is what I feel. Same when they let the Fournier tpe expire.

We will see the Schroeder TPE expire too. This owner is something else.

Spend what to get what? Even if Wyc wants to write the check, we need another team to agree to a trade - we have to give them a pick or picks - and our offer has to look good compared to keeping the player and other offers. There aren’t a lot of players that are even imaginable in this space, and maybe there are none. Could you get an end of bench guy for a first round pick? Probably. But that would be a bad use of a pick you probably can get a lot more value from if you trade it with a player or just use it. Also, we don’t know what they’re willing to do until we see whether they make a trade not using the TPE, or get someone on the buyout market. Alec Burks is above the TPE and if you trade a pick to use the TPE that’s less ammo to get him. I wouldn’t send a pick for bench depth if we have a line on a buyout guy.
They have opportunities even as to keep salary slots with medium talent (Knicks, Cavs and Bulls etc). You can also consolidate for upper talent then fill roster using TPEs to improve the top 9. I understand it takes two to make a deal but any team can use that excuse. Doing is believing and until the C's go deep into any tax they prove they aren't willing to spend. A prime example is the trade on Richardson which trade wise at the time was just a cap move not about talent (they had a TPE to use). Richardson would have been a additional factor against the Warriors with White struggling and guys having TOV issues. The C's themselves even admitted to not investing enough into last year as they came on strong late.

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2023, 12:20:35 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
As the MassLive article points out, most of the guys we might have wanted in that Hernangomez TPE will fit in the Schroder TPE, which they'll have until the deadline. And even if they don't use it, Celtics have the best record in the league and should be frontrunners in the buyout market.

It remains the dream to pry Vanderbilt away from Utah but even if that doesn't happen, I'm unconcerned.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2023, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Poof it's gone.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/01/why-celtics-allowed-juancho-hernangomez-trade-exception-worth-69-million-to-expire-unused.html
Not willing to spend is what I feel. Same when they let the Fournier tpe expire.

Spend what to get what? Even if Wyc wants to write the check, we need another team to agree to a trade - we have to give them a pick or picks - and our offer has to look good compared to keeping the player and other offers. There aren’t a lot of players that are even imaginable in this space, and maybe there are none. Could you get an end of bench guy for a first round pick? Probably. But that would be a bad use of a pick you probably can get a lot more value from if you trade it with a player or just use it. Also, we don’t know what they’re willing to do until we see whether they make a trade not using the TPE, or get someone on the buyout market. Alec Burks is above the TPE and if you trade a pick to use the TPE that’s less ammo to get him. I wouldn’t send a pick for bench depth if we have a line on a buyout guy.
They have opportunities even as to keep salary slots with medium talent (Knicks, Cavs and Bulls etc). You can also consolidate for upper talent then fill roster using TPEs to improve the top 9. I understand it takes two to make a deal but any team can use that excuse. Doing is believing and until the C's go deep into any tax they prove they aren't willing to spend. A prime example is the trade on Richardson which trade wise at the time was just a cap move not about talent (they had a TPE to use). Richardson would have been a additional factor against the Warriors with White struggling and guys having TOV issues. The C's themselves even admitted to not investing enough into last year as they came on strong late.

If they want to acquire a player by TPE they have to send something. For a good player that’s probably a pick with some value. This makes the other moves you’re talking about harder. You want to upgrade the current rotation? Gallo plus Pritchard isn’t likely to be enough, and you’d like to be able to add a pick or picks — but you can’t if they already went to fill the TPE before it expired. I haven’t heard names we would put into the TPE paired with a *realistic* offer that I would do. I wouldn’t send a first for a guy who eats minutes in the regular season but can’t crack the playoff rotation. Add to that - we still have the Schroeder TPE. Who is the guy you wanted to use the Hernangomez TPE to get, and what were you prepared to give?

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2023, 05:50:53 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Poof it's gone.

If they want to acquire a player by TPE they have to send something. For a good player that’s probably a pick with some value. This makes the other moves you’re talking about harder. You want to upgrade the current rotation? Gallo plus Pritchard isn’t likely to be enough, and you’d like to be able to add a pick or picks — but you can’t if they already went to fill the TPE before it expired. I haven’t heard names we would put into the TPE paired with a *realistic* offer that I would do. I wouldn’t send a first for a guy who eats minutes in the regular season but can’t crack the playoff rotation. Add to that - we still have the Schroeder TPE. Who is the guy you wanted to use the Hernangomez TPE to get, and what were you prepared to give?
I'm all in on this season so I'm for any upgrades and overpaying.

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2023, 01:23:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As the MassLive article points out, most of the guys we might have wanted in that Hernangomez TPE will fit in the Schroder TPE, which they'll have until the deadline. And even if they don't use it, Celtics have the best record in the league and should be frontrunners in the buyout market.

It remains the dream to pry Vanderbilt away from Utah but even if that doesn't happen, I'm unconcerned.
No reason not to use both.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2023, 01:46:55 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

No reason to use both, either.

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2023, 01:59:02 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

No reason to use both, either.

Using a TPE just to use it is not a good reason to use it.  If using both resulted in two good deals, then sure, use them both.

Even if they didn't have the second TPE that expires later, I am not sure that they would have used the first one.  I think if there was a good deal to be had, they would have used it, whether they had another one or another 3.

They probably are not going to do anything with this TPE either, at this point, it seems more likely that they pick up a vet who gets bought out after the trade deadline.

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2023, 08:59:48 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would offer a package to the Pistons of the TPE and a pick for Saddiq Bey or Alec Burks.  I think Bey  would allow us to lower Tatum's minutes.  He is rumored to want out. 

Or try to get him Burks and him.   I know we need big depth too.  But you take what you can get, we would not have needed big depth if we had kept Bol Bol IMHO but who knew he would blossom like that.

Go in bring in the Championship.     

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2023, 09:01:14 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would offer a package to the Pistons of the TPE and a pick for Saddiq Bey or Alec Burks.  I think Bey  would allow us to lower Tatum's minutes.  He is rumored to want out. 

Or try to get him Burks and him.   I know we need big depth too.  But you take what you can get, we would not have needed big depth if we had kept Bol Bol IMHO but who knew he would blossom like that.

Go in bring in the Championship.     

We can't fit Burks in our TPE.  We could fit Bey, and I'd love to have him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes